• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: DirecTV vs Streaming

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick background, then I'm hoping some of you have some solutions you can share that have worked.

DTV: signed up in Dec 2013, had a wonderful experience until they sold to AT&T a few years back. The service went into the toilet, both customer service as well as the quality of the service itself.

I used to be able to call the Retention Department and get good discounts, perks, whatever but those slowly went away. The bill kept going up because they have rolling discounts that fall off and if you don't stay on top of your bill you'll forget and then the next month your bill is significantly higher. Deliberate ploy by them and I forgot to look many times.

I finally got sick of it and decided to lower the package tier (had the highest, went down to the second highest and stopped all premiums like HBO, Showtime, etc. because of the Fire Stick and app add ons to watch shows like Homeland, The Affair, etc.) and they offered me the wireless Genie system as a perk. I took it and man does that suck, I've had nothing but problems with it, the weather patterns here have damaged my dish so that needs to be replaced, overall I am just done.

So I'm looking to leave them and move to streaming services but I want to make sure I get what I like - I like crime and investigation shows, cooking/outdoors, DIY plus of course hockey. I can continue to watch the Homelands and whatnot through thee Fire Stick (add Cinema if you don't have it, it's awesome).

What set up do you have or do you have a solution to where I can leave DTV and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Jabronis.

=)~~

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the streaming services are about $40
Hulu has a good mix of sports and cooking shows. Can’t watch CW live but you can watch the shows with the CW app.
You Tube tv is good for sports but no food network
Channel lineups: DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, Sling, PlayStation Vue, Hulu
You can pick what works for your family
The next issue is internet.
Cox has caps on data, and with six of you that could be an issue. They have an unlimited plan for more money. Research that as well.
The cable companies put caps on data to discourage cord cutting.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have DTV also but I've been with them for decades so I usually get onshore support as soon as I call.
Usually get what I want pretty quickly.

I too have been looking to dump them however simply because I don't watch much TV anymore. Other than the Kings game I'm not really committed to anything else in terms of live tv. Most everything else I can get through a stream service as you mentioned.

One option you can look into is YouTube TV. I've heard some pretty good things about and you can always get a free trail to see if you like it and then make the switch. With YouTube TV you'll be able to record shows/events just as if you would with you DVR and I think you can record up to 3 channels at the same time.

The only catch to any streaming option is your internet connection. Is it fast enough and is it reliable enough. If your provider takes a dump in the middle of a playoff game you're going to be out of luck. Choose wisely.

Here's a channel list for YTV so you can determine if the channel line up is good for you.
Browse YouTube TV

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cut cable about 6 years ago. I pay for Netflix at around $13.99 because I pay for like 5 people to use it, so I have the 4-simultaneous streams. I think you can get it for $10.99 or so for two streams at time. I trade said Netflix with one buddy for his Hulu login. Hulu is pretty great for "Current" shows, but you have to wait 24 hours. If you're hardcore and need night-of, that's a tough one. If you're okay waiting one day, that's a solid one (Buddy pays for commercial-free version). Also trade Netflix for HBO, which is cool for a time but not really a go-to. Great for binging huge shows like Game of Thrones but their day to day is weak Overall. My wife also does Amazon Prime which has really come along recently with original content. If you already pay for Prime, that's not a bad one to have.

To watch Kings I did SlingTV, which has two weird package options. I did the Fox Sports West one and it's $40/month. I got it with RedZone for NFL. But it's all over on what I get. Like I'll get Fox and CBS, but not ABC and NBC. They want you to get both of their base packages, which gets you to $60. But I picked Sling because it's monthly, no contracts. Kings season ends, I can cancel it until Hockey and football kick back in in September.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm looking to leave them and move to streaming services but I want to make sure I get what I like - I like crime and investigation shows, cooking/outdoors, DIY plus of course hockey. I can continue to watch the Homelands and whatnot through thee Fire Stick (add Cinema if you don't have it, it's awesome).

What set up do you have or do you have a solution to where I can leave DTV and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Jabronis.

=)~~

A lot of what you want, has to do with what internet you have. If you are keeping the AT&T internet that they offer, streaming could be slow. We gave up DTV because of the reasons you gave, and AT&T internet was the worst. We have Spectrum and the internet is good, but the TV menu and channel changing gets slow at times. My advice is get a reliable internet and you can go any direction you want.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input, I've started to research everything. YouTube TV is looking good, but so is Sling (what's with the 2 weird packages? Orange and Blue?).

I don't need to watch shows the night they air so that isn't a problem and I rarely DVR anything. I do like my C&I shows and what not but a lot of that stuff (the good stuff anyway) is on Netflix (anyone seen the Ted Bundy Tapes? Holy hell was that guy batshit crazy).

X: I have a direct contact with DTV, a back door line so to speak, which is good but the service in general has taken a hit. I also connected with the technician who came out a few months ago to readjust the dish since it lost a few degrees on one of the positioning points so I text and call him to get around calling in.

It certainly is not what it used to be when we first got it over 5 years ago. I've just had it with them, and especially the weather affecting everything. Living in the Yorba Hills/Anaheim Hills canyon, the Santa Anas run through here like a kid with diarrhea and it has created an absolutely miserable experience especially since we switched to the wireless Genie system.

Pete/LagunaD: we have Spectrum for internet, the original DTV deal was DTV and AT&T for internet. It was so bad I paid a $450 ETF after only 3 months to get out of the contract. We only have AT&T and Spectrum (formerly Time Warner, who BTW is merging with AT&T so expect issues there too I'm assuming) as options. We have a ton of devices on the network between the 4 kids and us adults so I will definitely upgrade that.

I have to check if I am under contract still (I don't think I am if I recall, I had to basically battle for a $55/month discount back in October or November for 12 months but I think they said it would not renew my contract) but if not I will be making the change soon.

It really sucks that we (meaning all of us) are so limited in our options but they do it that way to keep you trapped. Glad to see people are fighting back however, I think I read that cable/satellite lost something like 70 million subscribers last year and I'm sure many people went the streaming route.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete/LagunaD: we have Spectrum for internet We only have AT&T and Spectrum (formerly Time Warner, who BTW is merging with AT&T so expect issues there too I'm assuming) as options. We have a ton of devices on the network between the 4 kids and us adults so I will definitely upgrade that.

AT&T (If it goes through) is buying/merging with Time Warner, but it has nothing to do with Spectrum internet or Spectrum TV. AT&T is getting control of their channels CNN, TBS, TNT, etc.. It might be a problem in the future, because they can start charging more for non AT&T customers, kinda like Lakers or Dodgers monopoly.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotchya, thanks for the clarification. Even though I am pro business I am not a fan of all these huge mergers happening in recent years, in the end it ultimately costs us consumers one way or another.

Competition is good.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck - A few things I forgot to mention in my first post you should also take into consideration before you cut the cord if you haven't already.

- Make sure you have the proper routher/Wi-Fi setup. If your TV supports streaming without a separate device (ie. fire stick) check to see if it has an Ethernet port. If so this is the best way to connect your tv online. If you're going to use Wi-Fi you may run into some buffering. You'll want a router that's at least 802.11n but 802.11ac will work much better if you're going to be watching 1080p content. You may also know that speed and bandwidth decrease the farther away you are from the router. Wireless AD or 802.11ad is fairly newer and will rock the 4k content but it's more expensive and you'll have to make sure all you equipment will work with it otherwise it's a waste of money.

- Make sure you set your router to provide the most bandwidth to your TV and not the other devices you may have in the house. A good router will have an QoS port which tells the router to give the device plugged into that port priority over the others. This can also be done with Wi-Fi connections through the router settings but again it's not as good.

Here's the router I'm currently using and it's pretty good especially for the price:

Finally keep your router and devices updated all the time so you can avoid headaches later.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this had already been covered in the thread, but have you guys used KODI via the Firestick? A friend helped us download after we got Firestick.

We've only used it for movies, but friends claim they have literally watched everything from live soccer games in Bolivia to the nightly news in Nigeria. I need to try it to watch live NHL.

It takes a while to load (5 min) any given movie, but quality is good. Again, I cannot verify live coverage. Also, it requires a "pairing" with your phone. Worked fine with my wife's iPhone. But when I tried it on my budget LG ANDROID, I got repeated virus/ spam from all kinds of stuff (****, life insurance sales, auto sales, rich women over 40, etc.)

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kodi is kind of old and not really great anymore. If you're going to be using any sort of software like that to watch anything you may want to make sure you have a good VPN installed on your network. I'm not sure why you need to pair your phone though. I would say do NOT do that.

Not sure if this had already been covered in the thread, but have you guys used KODI via the Firestick? A friend helped us download after we got Firestick.

We've only used it for movies, but friends claim they have literally watched everything from live soccer games in Bolivia to the nightly news in Nigeria. I need to try it to watch live NHL.

It takes a while to load (5 min) any given movie, but quality is good. Again, I cannot verify live coverage. Also, it requires a "pairing" with your phone. Worked fine with my wife's iPhone. But when I tried it on my budget LG ANDROID, I got repeated virus/ spam from all kinds of stuff (****, life insurance sales, auto sales, rich women over 40, etc.)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VPN is key, we have one and I usually turn it on to show a foreign IP address so the streams on apps (like Kodi) aren't shut down.

X is correct Kodi is a bit of a dinosaur but about 2-3 years ago was cutting end for add ons to the Fire Stick. If you want something that is similar but more current and better (but still not perfect) download Cinema onto your Fire Stick.

There are several tutorials on YouTube and you can do this yourself in under 10 minutes. I haven't tried Cinema for live TV but you can watch virtually any movie or TV show on it. I found the friggin OG Knight Rider, every season, not too long ago and binge watched. Also used it for Hell on Wheels, I missed the last half of S5 back in 2016 and AMC didn't have it on demand anymore and was finally able to finish up the series.

My non technology ass did this on the Fire Stick upstairs a few months ago, piece of cake. Sometimes they will have movies that literally came out that day (although the feed may be "Cam" as they call it, or someone recorded it with a camera inside the theater. These feeds suck and I just wait a week or so for someone else to put a better feed on there).

I found the friggin OG Knight Rider, every season including the pilot, not too long ago and binge watched reliving my 1980s youth. Also used it for Hell on Wheels, I missed the last half of S5 back in 2016 and AMC didn't have it on demand anymore and was finally able to finish up the series.

X, the pairing is required for certain streams on Kodi. I had to do it too and didn't get hacked or anything but it's necsesary to watch whatever it is you want you. They give you a URL to go to on your phone, the Fire Stick finds that on your network, it pairs and then the show/movie streams.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you're saying but under no circumstance allow your phone to be paired with Kodi or any other software of it's kind. Keep in mind who's putting this stuff out there. You may not have issues now (that you know of) but your contact lists, conversations and so much more are being accessed without you knowing. In fact pairing your phone to the stick defeats the purpose of having a VPN in the 1st place. I'm sure you'll read plenty of "advice" online saying it's totally safe but consider the source. There are ways to disable the pairing requests if you take the time to look it up. Just a friendly note for what it's worth.

Final word is that I don't recommend using these stream devices. If you do use them take all the necessary precautions to protect yourself. IF you want a suggestion Plex is a much better alternative Kodi.

***REMOVES TIN HAT***

X, the pairing is required for certain streams on Kodi. I had to do it too and didn't get hacked or anything but it's necsesary to watch whatever it is you want you. They give you a URL to go to on your phone, the Fire Stick finds that on your network, it pairs and then the show/movie streams.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you're saying but under no circumstance allow your phone to be paired with Kodi or any other software of it's kind. Keep in mind who's putting this stuff out there. You may not have issues now (that you know of) but your contact lists, conversations and so much more are being accessed without you knowing. In fact pairing your phone to the stick defeats the purpose of having a VPN in the 1st place. I'm sure you'll read plenty of "advice" online saying it's totally safe but consider the source. There are ways to disable the pairing requests if you take the time to look it up. Just a friendly note for what it's worth.

Final word is that I don't recommend using these stream devices. If you do use them take all the necessary precautions to protect yourself. IF you want a suggestion Plex is a much better alternative Kodi.

Thanks for info. Will warn the wife. I already had to learn the hard way.