• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bill Parcell's Legacy of Egotism?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great read, now I see why certain individuals wanted him as the VP of Football Operations.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The Dolphins are an irrelevant, winless mess. Why? Because you don***8217;t build football franchises around the personalities of the men who don***8217;t suit up. You build franchises around the players."

i found this very interesting, shocking in fact? shocking to me cause its totally opposite of what think a successful franchise does. players come and go - except for your franchise QB - but "men who don't suit up" stay with the system, maintains the structure.

anyways, not calling it wrong but need to think about it more. :-)

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The Dolphins are an irrelevant, winless mess. Why? Because you don***8217;t build football franchises around the personalities of the men who don***8217;t suit up. You build franchises around the players."

i found this very interesting, shocking in fact? shocking to me cause its totally opposite of what think a successful franchise does. players come and go - except for your franchise QB - but "men who don't suit up" stay with the system, maintains the structure.

If you think about it deep, there is truth to that statement... It's not the personality og the GM, VP, President, or even the owners that the players repond to, it's the personality of the HC... It's is reasonable to assume that the HC is considered a "player" and not one of the "men who don't suit up" because they are in the trenches and not in the luxury boxes... Most of these "men who don't suit up" are not ivolved in the game planning or game decisions -- unless their name happens to be Al Davis... Furthermore, the teams has a better chance of being successful if the core members are completely sold on the vision of the HC... These are the team leaders who knows the ideals/will of the coaches and make sure that they are followed...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pretty scathing. He basically give Belichick all the credit for Parcells' success.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great read, now I see why certain individuals wanted him as the VP of Football Operations.

Would he have done worse in SF? I expect VPs of football operations and owners to do a better job than you or I would do just like my employers feel I can be a better systems engineer than they can or how I feel my orthopedic surgeon can repair my ankle better than my buddy the mechanic can.

You never once offered a better solution that what I said I wanted when I complained that the Niners could have used a strong football person running football ops from 2005-2010 you just picked at my points and questioned if I was some nameless troll from some other board.

Isn't Baalke a Parcells favorite? I am not going to hold that against him.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you think about it deep, there is truth to that statement... It's not the personality og the GM, VP, President, or even the owners that the players repond to, it's the personality of the HC... It's is reasonable to assume that the HC is considered a "player" and not one of the "men who don't suit up" because they are in the trenches and not in the luxury boxes... Most of these "men who don't suit up" are not ivolved in the game planning or game decisions -- unless their name happens to be Al Davis... Furthermore, the teams has a better chance of being successful if the core members are completely sold on the vision of the HC... These are the team leaders who knows the ideals/will of the coaches and make sure that they are followed...

yeah i can see this and no problem here, however understand i did take the HC to be a 'man in suit'?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Would he have done worse in SF? I expect VPs of football operations and owners to do a better job than you or I would do just like my employers feel I can be a better systems engineer than they can or how I feel my orthopedic surgeon can repair my ankle better than my buddy the mechanic can.

You never once offered a better solution that what I said I wanted when I complained that the Niners could have used a strong football person running football ops from 2005-2010 you just picked at my points and questioned if I was some nameless troll from some other board.

Isn't Baalke a Parcells favorite? I am not going to hold that against him.

are you still pushing for another FO person above the GM?

my solution is leave it as is.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
are you still pushing for another FO person above the GM?

my solution is leave it as is.

At this point I will be happy with Baalke having full control over personnel moves. I hope that is the case. The Niners could have used some football smarts over most of the past six years.
The problem with bringing in a guy now to run football operations is that he wouldn't have his coach and GM and that wouldn't be fair to him or Baalke and Harbaugh. I am behind giving Baalke a shot and I like Harbaugh which makes me hopeful as a fan that the team is finally turning the corner.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Dolphins are an irrelevant, winless mess. Why? Because you dont build football franchises around the personalities of the men who dont suit up. You build franchises around the players."

Sometimes the GM gets a little more credit than they deserve. They get points for putting together a talented team and setting up a structured front office in their image. As we can see with the 49ers though, what is essentially the same team with the players, is almost a completely different team than it was a year ago. The coach is the one who brings it all together.

I would argue that the "men who don't suit up" that keep it together would be the coaching staff. Consider the case of Carmen Policy, Executive of the Year with the 49ers, but wasn't able to turn Cleveland into a contender in his 7 years there.. granted it was an expansion team without the extra benefits that Carolina and Jacksonville had so the deck was stacked against him.

I don't doubt Parcells ability as a Head Coach, his 2 Super Bowls with the Giants and nearly winning a 3rd with the Patriots says all you need to know about him as a HC. It's obvious though, that success doesn't translate over into VP of Football success in the case of Parcells.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't get anything of substance out of the article other than Whitlock has some sort of axe to grind with Parcells. I've always thought Whitlock was a race-baiting blowhard who simply loves to stir up controversy. I'd take this article with a grain of salt.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Remind me to ignore any articles written by Jason Whitlock in the future. Terrible in every way. I don't even know where to begin with what's wrong with that stupid article.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yup.. That's how I took your reponse.. Nolan fits the "man in suit" description though lol

then it doesn't match your earlier post? hmmm, maybe I have to read it again. :-)

is it men in suits (executives) or men who suit up (players)?