• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: another music thread - odd phenomenon

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Anyone else have bands that they really really like, except for the biggest hit.

Dire Straits - I love pretty much anything Mark Knopfler is attached to, but have pretty much hated "Money for Nothing" from the first time I heard it.

Pink Floyd - epic, brilliant band in all of its iterations. Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece. "Money", however, is a crap song.

Van Halen - I was hooked the first note I heard. How they hell did "Jump" become their biggest hit? When the best guitarist in the world at the time puts his axe down in favour of a keyboard, something just ain't right.

AC / DC - so much good stuff, why does the radio only seem to play "You Shook me all Night Long"? It's got stupid lyrics, and a vanilla riff. blech.

any other examples?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
inXs - early stuff was great (What You Need, Original Sin), Kick album was okay, but Need You Tonight and Never Tear Us Apart was definitely for the ladies.

Rolling Stones - what is their biggest hit (Start Me Up, Satisfaction), so much other good stuff that the radio doesn't air

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking Heads - can't stand Burning Down the House

Jefferson Airplane/Starship - We Built This City may be the worst song ever...but their old stuff...like "Volunteers" is great...

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DiverDown/1984 is to Van Halen what the Black Album is to Metallica. The "sellout for radio and video hits" era of formerly great bands.

As for me, love Led Zeppelin. Have heard "Stairway" more than enough.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
As for me, love Led Zeppelin. Have heard "Stairway" more than enough.

that's been overplayed to death, but it was a heck of a song when it came out.
I was more looking at tunes that were shit from the get-go.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather listen to We Built This City than its album-mate Sara. I dont want to listen to either though.

This one popped into my head because I was talking about it yesterday. Not a huge fan but always thought Love And Rockets were fun. I cannot stand "So Alive" though and 99% of the time that's the song a station plays.

REM's Everybody Hurts is one of my least favorite songs ever.

I like The Strokes OK, but hate "Last Night"

Last edited by a moderator:

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone else have bands that they really really like, except for the biggest hit.

Dire Straits - I love pretty much anything Mark Knopfler is attached to, but have pretty much hated "Money for Nothing" from the first time I heard it.

Pink Floyd - epic, brilliant band in all of its iterations. Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece. "Money", however, is a crap song.

Van Halen - I was hooked the first note I heard. How they hell did "Jump" become their biggest hit? When the best guitarist in the world at the time puts his axe down in favour of a keyboard, something just ain't right.

AC / DC - so much good stuff, why does the radio only seem to play "You Shook me all Night Long"? It's got stupid lyrics, and a vanilla riff. blech.

any other examples?

mark knopfler is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time. money for nothing is a pretty lame 80s song although i will listen to it. more to just laugh at it though.

money is not so bad although it can get annoying. i really like brain damage/eclipse.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Jefferson Airplane/Starship - We Built This City may be the worst song ever...but their old stuff...like "Volunteers" is great...

the talking heads are an interesting band. on the radio the one guy said david byrne was the weirdest person.

jefferson airplane is good. jefferson starship is awful.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think the kinks are underrated. people just listen to you really got me and stuff like that. if they actually listened to a cd they might be able to appreciate them more.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally like Squeeze, an underrated good pop band IMO, but I don't like "Tempted" or most of the others Paul Carrack sings.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Touch of Grey" was / is just horrible.

RIP Jerry

Wouldn't think of "Money" as Floyds biggest hit. Maybe it was, commercially? I don't know.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather listen to We Built This City than its album-mate Sara.

hahaha. I read one of the posts above and said out loud, "well, it was better than freakin' Sara" and then got down to this Comeds' nugget. Cracked me up.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You should remove the first part. I refuse to believe the two bands are even related.
Jefferson Airplane would have never come out with that utter garbage. Starship... ugh.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Touch of Grey" was / is just horrible.

RIP Jerry

That song was actually pretty good in concert before they slowed it down and put it on the album. I agree with dire straights and money for nothing. The bands early stuff was great, then they sold out to the MTV crowd

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always liked Jeff Lynne and ELO but i have to say "Dont Bring Me Down" may be the worst song ever recorded.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bloody Who ! I won't get fooled again !!

Oppppps didn't read the whole OP. I like the Who !!!!

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, for me. Flatfoot 56's latest single Courage, while still good, isn't one of my favorite songs on the album.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oasis Wonderwall. I think it's just massively overplayed. I think I'd rather listen to pretty much any other song of theirs.