• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Tennis thread

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Can't believe Milos lost to that junk player. Still showing his youth.

almost 90 unforced errors, couldn't close out on any of 8 break opportunities....
had the talent, not the focus / killer instinct.
average serve was 40km faster than the other guy. can't find the stats right now, but Milos had something like 26 aces vs 5 double faults.... zero of each for Monaco. that's a heck of an advantage.

that 'junk player' by the way, was seeded 8 slots higher than Raonic. not quite a nobody.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call Monaco a junk player. He's already ranked higher than Milos, plus he's on his favored surface, and the worst surface for a player like Milos.

Obviously unforced groundstroke errors cost Milos this match. He plays way too deep to compete with guys like Monaco - you're never going to break your opponent if you let them push you ten feet beyond the baseline on their second serve. He's got to learn how to push forward on those baseline rallies if he wants to be a threat in these tourneys.

That said, this was the first full match I watched Milos play, and he's better than I expected. He's a bit awkward, but I thought it would be worse for his height. And he's more than just a server, he can hit some massive forehands, and has a nice touch at the net. He needs to work his backhand a bit - was never really a threat and too many unforced errors - and his consistency.

He's still young, but hopefullly we see a few more tournament wins, and maybe a quarterfinal in one of the biggeys. He's obviously still improving.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Dacks said Milos played far to deep & allowed Monaco to dictate play. He'll learn a lot from this experience. John McEnroe couldn't understand what Raonic was doing from a tactics standpoint & I agree with him. Raonic should have been moving forward as much as possible not standing near the ball kids almost everytime he hit the ball.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos didn't play very well today and his serve wasn't even working all that great and he still took Monaco to five sets on a surface where Raonic still a novice. He just needs to work on his consistency and learn how to win the 'big points'. Lest we forget, he still is only 21 years old.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos didn't play very well today and his serve wasn't even working all that great and he still took Monaco to five sets on a surface where Raonic still a novice. He just needs to work on his consistency and learn how to win the 'big points'. Lest we forget, he still is only 21 years old.

Absolutely. The more he plays on clay the better he's going to get. I don't think it will be his best surface though.

Wimbledon is next. Milos should kicks some serious ass on grass.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing I thought was 'interesting' was his complete lack of emotion. He was never razzled out there. It's not robotic... more like a kid who doesn't realize he's playing in a tournament that's kind of a big deal.

On the one hand, that coolness under pressure served him well when he saved a lot of break points. On the flipside, he had a few break opportunities himself that he didn't take advantage of.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos only has 280 points to defend the rest of the year. If he wants to make a move towards the top ten, now is the perfect time to do it. I thought he played pretty well against Monaco, and while he could have won, it's a positive sign that he managed to take a top ten clay courter to five with all the pressure facing him. Milos looked to be a top 15 clay courter this year, and if he can take that momentum forward, he should have a big fall and end the year ranked around 8.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow ... whole nutha' level

Rafa Nadal just carved Juan Monaco (guy who ousted Raonic on Saturday) 6-2, 6-0, 6-0. Nadal won final 17 games of the match

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wonder how much that 5-setter took out of Monaco. But yeah, Nadal is a beast on the red clay at Roland Garros.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nadal is unreal on clay. Monaco looked completely spent. Nadal made him feel the pain for 3 sets.

I'd like to see David Ferrer win the tournament. He's fun to watch. I hope he kicks Murray's ass. Of course beating Nadal is almost impossible on clay.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Nadal looked unbelievable going in to the final but the Djoker stole a set and was up a break in the 4th. Rain delay, starting again tomorrow at 7am - hopefully the delay doesn't ruin his momentum.

Pretty big match when you think about it - Djokovic going for the slam (would be the first in decades) and Nadal going for his record-breaking 7th French Open title. 50-1 record at Rolland Garros... that's insane

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Milos up a set on Federer at the Gerry Weber Open
(Quarter final match)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
3rd and deciding set going to a tiebreak.
aaaand...... nope. federer wins it.

Raonic now 0/3 vs Federer this year despite winning first set each time.
Has lost on hard court, clay & today on grass

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he continues to knock on the door, should stoke the fire for Wimbledon...