• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Oregon @ Ohio State 12:00 pm FOX

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might? sure, but kind of hard to judge these teams before they play a game. Hell, could have also justified having them 2 or 3 before the season.
Back in the day they didn't rank teams until after a couple games were played.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the day they didn't rank teams until after a couple games were played.
Still don’t - only rankings that matter is the one by the play off committee late in season. The AP & coaches poll is for us to banter over.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those missed 4th and 2s might have been the difference....and props to Oregon for stopping them.

The 4th down stops were definitely the difference. Oregon played a very clean game. No turnovers, didn't leave points on the field, etc. They needed to play like that to have a chance vs. a team like Ohio State.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4th down stops were definitely the difference. Oregon played a very clean game. No turnovers, didn't leave points on the field, etc. They needed to play like that to have a chance vs. a team like Ohio State.
Yep....and props for them for doing it. Actually like there were no calls people are complaining about saying that's why Oregon won, no crazy plays, etc. Oregon just won the game and good for them.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot say I recall when there were not preseason rankings (and I'm 51).

I'm a Gopher fan, so "back in the day" is further back that most, lol.

Go to collegepollarchive dot com and check the rankings from the 30s and 40s.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best band I ever saw was the Army band. Close order drill and very impressive.
There is always Florida A&M.
But no band is quite like the Stanford Band's desire to influence the game.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to laugh at the headlines sometimes. "beatdown". Really............ 35-28 is a beatdown? no. but they need to try to exaggerate the hell out of OSU losses. give me a break.

"The Ducks’ beatdown of Ohio State wasn’t just ..........."

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the PAC gets a little more respect after this weekend.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the PAC gets a little more respect after this weekend.

LOL, you are kidding right? The "PAC" has lost as many games as it's won, they are 12-12. No teams outside of Oregon and UCLA and I guess Arizona St should be given any respect. Did I miss one maybe?

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me, what was that? How'd the UCLA game go?
reverse jinx, homie

always happy to see the buckeyes lose - congrats

(and you can try to pick on LSU this season but I already know they suck so it's no big deal)

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, you are kidding right? The "PAC" has lost as many games as it's won, they are 12-12. No teams outside of Oregon and UCLA and I guess Arizona St should be given any respect. Did I miss one maybe?

Yeah I see what you are saying. I'm mostly talking about the elite teams. Obviously the bottom half of the PAC is not as good.

Foxsss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama and Georgia don't play each other, so both could go undefeated, or the team with 1 loss could win the title game. Either result could see both teams ending the season in the Top 4. I actually think the 2nd scenario gives the SEC the better chance of getting both teams in. Say a 1 loss #5 ranked Bama beating a #1 undefeated Georgia 34-33 in the CCG would see both teams getting into the playoff.

If an undefeated #2 Georgia loses to an undefeated #1 Bama in the CCG, I could see them dropping down to #5 as they may not have many signature wins on their resume unless Clemson goes without losing another game.

But if an undefeated #2 Georgia beats an undefeated #1 Bama in the CCG, and the game is a close game, it will be tougher to drop Bama out of the Top 4. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would need tOSU to go undefeated with big wins over highly ranked B1G teams and/or a Pac team to go undefeated and a Big 12 team to go undefeated, and possibly an ACC team going undefeated to do it.

But seasons where 3 non SEC teams clearly establish themselves as clearly more worthy than the SEC CCG loser with only 1 loss do not happen very often.
You know this sounds like you're kind of resorting to the BCS computers of the past.

While who you defeat matters, the SEC is harder than any other conference, even in off years.
Bama and Georgia don't play each other, so both could go undefeated, or the team with 1 loss could win the title game. Either result could see both teams ending the season in the Top 4. I actually think the 2nd scenario gives the SEC the better chance of getting both teams in. Say a 1 loss #5 ranked Bama beating a #1 undefeated Georgia 34-33 in the CCG would see both teams getting into the playoff.

If an undefeated #2 Georgia loses to an undefeated #1 Bama in the CCG, I could see them dropping down to #5 as they may not have many signature wins on their resume unless Clemson goes without losing another game.

But if an undefeated #2 Georgia beats an undefeated #1 Bama in the CCG, and the game is a close game, it will be tougher to drop Bama out of the Top 4. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would need tOSU to go undefeated with big wins over highly ranked B1G teams and/or a Pac team to go undefeated and a Big 12 team to go undefeated, and possibly an ACC team going undefeated to do it.

But seasons where 3 non SEC teams clearly establish themselves as clearly more worthy than the SEC CCG loser with only 1 loss do not happen very often.
This seems like you're using some old BCS tools in deciding this.

While who you beat matters, the SEC is tougher top to bottom than any other conference, on off years.

Many times when two SEC teams make it into CFB playoff, one doesn't even play in SEC title game, this happened with Bama not long ago.

An example of this could be Bama defeats A&M in a nail biter. Then Bama plays Georgia and A&M defeats everyone else they play. Bama wins SEC title game and A&M gets in past say Ohio State.

The loser of the SEC title game can get in but its normally the 3rd team, that lost a close game to the undefeated team.

Score matters now but not like with computers. It's done by humans, so there is common sense.

The other thing ppl have amnesia every year. All this talk is nonsense right now. Things happen in CFB.

LSU won the national championship in 2007, with 2 losses when only 2 teams played. They weren't the only team to play in the title game with 2 losses either.

Most likely most teams will lose and if one SEC team is undefeated and another losses a close game to that team, that 2nd SEC team is probably getting in and rightfully so.

This amnesia where ppl forget how the season goes, it also happens when CBB starts and a top 3 team losses, and they talk about them like its football because football just ended or its December, whatever

Every year, the media on ESPN acts like that team's championship Hope's are over. Like they totally forget there's a tournament.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU won the national championship in 2007, with 2 losses when only 2 teams played. They weren't the only team to play in the title game with 2 losses either.

Who else did?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I see what you are saying. I'm mostly talking about the elite teams. Obviously the bottom half of the PAC is not as good.
Oh yeah, the top of the Pac did look good last weekend. The winner of the Pac will probably end up ranked higher than the winner of the B1G this year?