• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Optimism

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reasons to be optimistic. The defense played better than I expected, and I'm certain our offense won't continue to play this bad. We will see.

Admittedly this very well could be our offense and the defense may have just played over their heads. If so we shall be set for a very high pick in 15.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm optimistic about the chance to really control the ball and the clock with our OL. Giving up 28 1st half points prevented what could have been a 200 yard rushing day against the Niners IMO

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm optimistic that we can compete in the NFC East, but we haven't been able to compete well against teams outside of the division. That was the problem with this team last year. I posted a stat a few weeks ago about this. They gave up 31 ppg against teams outside the division and 19 ppg against the NFC East. Until Dallas can figure out a way how to play as well outside the division as they do against the division, they won't be doing much of anything this year just as the past five years.

Today was one of the Cowboys most important games on the schedule and a nice measuring stick to see where they are against the top echelon of the NFC. When it came down to it, they flat out stunk against a 49ers team that was without several key players. If we get dominated by the 49ers at home when they aren't even at full strength, what do we expect to do against them at full strength? They are only a team that has went to three straight NFC Championships. With the way we played today against the 2nd best team in the NFC, there's no point in them even making the trip to Seattle because that game has ass-whipping written all over it. Today's loss was not a good sign and it showed me just how far away this team is from competing for Super Bowl championships.

I don't mean to cast doom and gloom. I'm certainly the type of fan who loves to see the glass half full, but I'm just not fooling myself (again) into believing this team is anything better than a .500 football team.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was very symbolic for the first play of scrimmage of the season to be a penalty. Except for last year when they ranked 14th in penalties they have been in the top 10 for penalties during Garrett's reign. Same dumb mistakes continually shoot themselves in the foot. Now obviously the problem yesterday was turnovers. Whether it's penalties or turnovers they find a way to lose. Hopefully this is the end of Garrett.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there were some concerns with the defense that were masked by the turnovers and the lopsided score early. The LBs were not good. I know McClain made a couple of nice plays, but he took a bunch of bad angles too and Durant was not good at all. The LBs on the field just don't seem to be able to know their assignments in the passing game and need to be better against the run. The DBs also just seemed a little lost in zone coverage again and at what point do we stop dropping back 8 yards on 3rd and 6? Is that mandatory for our DBs? But, I was very happy with the DL. I'm still hoping for more from Crawford, but we get a little healthier next week and hopefully can build on this. Main thing for me is finding a way to get off the field on 3rd down. I saw a lot of good things from the defense yesterday, but obviously some bad too.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there were some concerns with the defense that were masked by the turnovers and the lopsided score early. The LBs were not good. I know McClain made a couple of nice plays, but he took a bunch of bad angles too and Durant was not good at all. The LBs on the field just don't seem to be able to know their assignments in the passing game and need to be better against the run. The DBs also just seemed a little lost in zone coverage again and at what point do we stop dropping back 8 yards on 3rd and 6? Is that mandatory for our DBs? But, I was very happy with the DL. I'm still hoping for more from Crawford, but we get a little healthier next week and hopefully can build on this. Main thing for me is finding a way to get off the field on 3rd down. I saw a lot of good things from the defense yesterday, but obviously some bad too.

All very valid points and is the reason I added the second paragraph. We still no idea what our defense is going to be. I thought McClain enjoyed playing which was/is a concern. Carter played well at the Will. Let's see how Spencer looks in the next few weeks. Anyone know if he'll play any snaps next week?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm optimistic about the chance to really control the ball and the clock with our OL. Giving up 28 1st half points prevented what could have been a 200 yard rushing day against the Niners IMO

Not going to happen. Main reason why they got behind was abandonig the run in the red zone. They could have done it yesterday

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All very valid points and is the reason I added the second paragraph. We still no idea what our defense is going to be. I thought McClain enjoyed playing which was/is a concern. Carter played well at the Will. Let's see how Spencer looks in the next few weeks. Anyone know if he'll play any snaps next week?

I was happy with the defense in general. My issue was that I was hoping we were going to change things up more this year. I know the ceiling is limited with this group for this season and they aren't going to look like hte Steel Curtain, but if we play to their strengths a little more I think they will be better than if we don't. If we get decent pressure all year the defense will do enough to win games if the Offense does what we expect them to do. I've also said that since these LBs can't cover any way, why not blitz them more and at least try to make something happen.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Optimisim, O Line were moving people. There were a number of times it was noticeable that they were winning the line battles.

Demarco looked good as did most of our receivers.

McClain was straight up smacking people. If we can luck out and have this guy play to his ability it will go a long way.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get off the field on third down has been a fifteen year problem for Dallas' defense. I give up on expecting it to happen anytime soon. Just limit a team to getting to red zone and kicking field goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

overtone22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reasons to be optimistic. The defense played better than I expected, and I'm certain our offense won't continue to play this bad.

I don't think we learned anything about our Defense in that game except that they are susceptible to big plays downfield when it counts, and capable of containment when the opposition switches to a conservative gameplan for time management purposes. Still a ton of question marks for us on that side of the ball.

The optimistic takeaway from this game is that our Offense actually looked and played really well, aside from OhNomo. That offensive line, excluding some stupid penalties, was beastly and Demarco Murray thrived because of it. That O-Line really has the making of something special if Garrett would just put some trust in them.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Durant made a play yesterday that reminded me of Bradie James. I'm not sure what quarter it happened in, but SF ran the ball and the ball carrier was right in the area for Durant to make a play and he runs straight into the blocker when a play could have easily been made on the ball carrier.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reasons to be optimistic.
We have a capable running game, & week one is over.
So
Hopefully (optimism) Tony plays like a probowl QB like we know he can & not like the guy with his head up his ass like week 1!

please coaching staff call plays like a pro NFL coach.

1st & goal on the one why are we in shotgun? Let the line enforce their will upon the defense & run it in.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant made a play yesterday that reminded me of Bradie James. I'm not sure what quarter it happened in, but SF ran the ball and the ball carrier was right in the area for Durant to make a play and he runs straight into the blocker when a play could have easily been made on the ball carrier.

I think if you took our defense, when totally healthy, and stacked it up against the other defenses in the league when they are totally healthy, we might average 2-3 starters out of 11 if the units were combined. Some squads would start all 11 over our guys

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you took our defense, when totally healthy, and stacked it up against the other defenses in the league when they are totally healthy, we might average 2-3 starters out of 11 if the units were combined. Some squads would start all 11 over our guys

So explain why allowing 17 points and 320 yards was so bad.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too optimistic about the defense yet. I fear that the 9ers took their foot of the gas at the half and they simply wanted to get out of there without getting any more dinged up. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. McClain got off to a nice start though, at least the best I could tell he did, so that was nice to see.

I was happy with the run blocking. I wasn't happy with the play calling and possible audibles at times. PA on 2nd and 2 from the 2 makes me not even want to turn on next weeks game. That might have been even wise than those INTs.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So explain why allowing 17 points and 320 yards was so bad.

They played as well as could be expected. When the game was close, SF passed on us like it was 7 on 7 HS summer league. They got very conservative with a huge lead. Our guys played hard, and should compete next week against the Titans and the next against St Louis. Teams like New Orleans and Seattle will hang 40 on us

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense looked better than i expected. Except for the secondary. Should have played man and hoped for the best. Ol looks awesome at run blocking. But have work to do in pass protection

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if the secondary knew what coverage they were suppose to be in. I can't imagine on 3 rd and 4 you give up 8 yard hooks like that. Aikman or somebody did say it was WIlcox job to be underneath. One thing was for certain- SF didn't seem to screw up their coverages. The had DEz bracketed all day. I worry we will see that the rest of the yr.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if the secondary knew what coverage they were suppose to be in. I can't imagine on 3 rd and 4 you give up 8 yard hooks like that. Aikman or somebody did say it was WIlcox job to be underneath. One thing was for certain- SF didn't seem to screw up their coverages. The had DEz bracketed all day. I worry we will see that the rest of the yr.

Cowboys should put murray and dunbar in the backfield and run some screens. When succesful this could free up dez.