• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some discussion points at the GM meetings in Florida:

@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Flames GM Brad Treliving said his small group, among many things, looked at the idea of 3 points for a 60-min win, the merits of it ...

Veteran GM Lou Lamoriello on the other hand says he would rather go back to 2 points for a win and zero for any kind of loss. No loser point

I think I prefer a 3-2-1-0 to 2 points/no loser point system, but either way is better than this current system where not all games award the same number of points. If you win the game in regulation time, you should get more points than if you need OT or a shootout. I can see the merits of getting at least one point for forcing OT, though. That's why my preference is the 3-2-1-0 system.
Psssst, Lou, your team would be ten points out of a playoff spot were it not for the loser point!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only NHL team (other than the Caps, obviously) that Braden Holtbeast has yet to beat is Dallas.

Caps play Dallas tonight.

Fuck Dallas.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, should be 2 points for a win, 1 point for a shootout loss, nothing for a loss in overtime or regulation.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I prefer a 3-2-1-0 to 2 points/no loser point system, but either way is better than this current system where not all games award the same number of points. If you win the game in regulation time, you should get more points than if you need OT or a shootout. I can see the merits of getting at least one point for forcing OT, though. That's why my preference is the 3-2-1-0 system.

To me, should be 2 points for a win, 1 point for a shootout loss, nothing for a loss in overtime or regulation.

My preference is just 2/0. Two points for a win, none for a loss, regardless of how you got there. You think the shootout is a gimmick? Don't like your chances in a shootout? Tough shit, pull your goalie in overtime then. I would also be fine going back to the tie, but from an entertainment standpoint (and honestly, the regular season is too long anyway) I don't mind the shootout.

I also don't get the bolded, personally. "A win is a win." is one of the defining aspects of sports, glorious and heartbreaking in it's complete disregard for how you got there. It's one of the things I love about sports. If we deem a regulation time worth more than an overtime win, it makes overtime that much less exciting, when in fact, the stakes should be at their highest in overtime. And why stop at a regulation win? Why not give four points for a shutout, or winning by a three-goal margin?

I also don't think the 3-2-1-0 system solves the "motivation" problem it hopes to solve. If anything, wouldn't it make teams more conservative? If you're tied in the third period, do you take any risks? Unless it's a team you're specifically chasing in the standings, and the three point swing is a must, I don't see the motivation - better to get to the overtime and the 50/50 expectation value of 1.5 points, then taking a slight chance that might only give you a 40% chance of 3 points (1.2 expectation value).

Best option is to just increase scoring by calling penalties again, and reducing goalie pads to reasonable levels of protection. More goal-scoring = higher chance of the team playing better on a given night scoring more. More scoring decreases % of games that are close after 60 minutes. Done.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another memorable goal for burr lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Jumbo Joe on 1000 assists. I think I know what he did after the game.

BWPagZPCUAECYr3.png.cf.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Jumbo Joe on 1000 assists. I think I know what he did after the game.

BWPagZPCUAECYr3.png.cf.jpg

lol - He became the 13th player in NHL history to record 1000 assists - Still not good enough to make the top 100 players of all time though.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference is just 2/0. Two points for a win, none for a loss, regardless of how you got there. You think the shootout is a gimmick? Don't like your chances in a shootout? Tough shit, pull your goalie in overtime then. I would also be fine going back to the tie, but from an entertainment standpoint (and honestly, the regular season is too long anyway) I don't mind the shootout.

If they were to get rid of the shootout and extend 3-on-3 OT to 10 minutes, I could definitely go for this system. If nobody wins after 10 minutes, then you split the 2 points, otherwise the winner gets 2 and the loser gets nada.

I also don't get the bolded, personally. "A win is a win." is one of the defining aspects of sports, glorious and heartbreaking in it's complete disregard for how you got there. It's one of the things I love about sports. If we deem a regulation time worth more than an overtime win, it makes overtime that much less exciting, when in fact, the stakes should be at their highest in overtime. And why stop at a regulation win? Why not give four points for a shutout, or winning by a three-goal margin?

I guess my biggest beef is that I want to see all games worth the same number of points. I agree about the exciting and heartbreaking aspects of sports and being on the edge of your seat, but to me 3-on-3 OT is way more exciting than the shootout.

I also don't think the 3-2-1-0 system solves the "motivation" problem it hopes to solve. If anything, wouldn't it make teams more conservative? If you're tied in the third period, do you take any risks? Unless it's a team you're specifically chasing in the standings, and the three point swing is a must, I don't see the motivation - better to get to the overtime and the 50/50 expectation value of 1.5 points, then taking a slight chance that might only give you a 40% chance of 3 points (1.2 expectation value).

That's the kicker right there though, Dacks - If it's a divisional game and you have a chance to gain 3 points on a team you're chasing in the division, it should provide that extra pep in your step (especially at this time of the year).

Best option is to just increase scoring by calling penalties again, and reducing goalie pads to reasonable levels of protection. More goal-scoring = higher chance of the team playing better on a given night scoring more. More scoring decreases % of games that are close after 60 minutes. Done.

Perfectly stated, don't change a word :thumb:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only NHL team (other than the Caps, obviously) that Braden Holtbeast has yet to beat is Dallas.

Caps play Dallas tonight.

Fuck Dallas.

Stars be in the young man's head, it appears.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olli Jokinen will officially retire as a Florida Panther tonight - Pretty damn solid career if you ask me, he was a pretty good player for the Flames in his two stints with the team - Enjoy retirement Olli.

For his career, the third overall pick in the 1997 draft, had 321 goals and 750 points over 17 seasons.

Olli Jokinen retires with Panthers - Article - TSN

kmWjK.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olli Jokinen will officially retire as a Florida Panther tonight - Pretty damn solid career if you ask me, he was a pretty good player for the Flames in his two stints with the team - Enjoy retirement Olli.

For his career, the third overall pick in the 1997 draft, had 321 goals and 750 points over 17 seasons.

Olli Jokinen retires with Panthers - Article - TSN

kmWjK.jpg
Truly a Leaf great.

Status
Not open for further replies.