• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing 2020 Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than a week away, time to fire this up. I'm genuinely ecstatic to watch baseball again.

Rotation even without Syndergaard is still top 10. DeGrom and Stro is still one of the best 1-2s in the league.

Bullpen, fingers crossed we get some rebound seasons. This could be one of the best in the league or a complete dumpster fire and neither would surprise me.

Our lineup is absolutely loaded, especially if guys reach their potential or get close to previous levels (Cano, Cespedes, Lowrie).

Defensively we're still not great. I think having Nimmo and Marisnick in center for a full season is a definite upgrade. I'd love to see Rosario progress, he could be our biggest x factor if he breaks out.

60 games, just need to get hot and anything is possible.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than a week away, time to fire this up. I'm genuinely ecstatic to watch baseball again.

Rotation even without Syndergaard is still top 10. DeGrom and Stro is still one of the best 1-2s in the league.

Bullpen, fingers crossed we get some rebound seasons. This could be one of the best in the league or a complete dumpster fire and neither would surprise me.

Our lineup is absolutely loaded, especially if guys reach their potential or get close to previous levels (Cano, Cespedes, Lowrie).

Defensively we're still not great. I think having Nimmo and Marisnick in center for a full season is a definite upgrade. I'd love to see Rosario progress, he could be our biggest x factor if he breaks out.

60 games, just need to get hot and anything is possible.

I hope we don't end up missing Todd Frazier's presence in the lineup, dugout or clubhouse too much this season.
He was a good Met.

Also...I'm sure you know by now...
ESPN2 is televising tonight's Mets-Yanks game.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Mets' Opening Day roster is shaping up

lets-go-mets.jpg

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you're sitting down for this one:

Meh...it's a bit discouraging but sounds more a precautionary move than anything...but we'll see.

I think he'll be back and good to go by the end of the month.

With all the down time they've had, I'm sure more lingering injuries and sprains are gonna be popping up pretty much for every team.

This shortened 60 game season will somehow feel like an eternity once it gets going later this week....and it's definitely a bizarre thing to witness without fans in the seats.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, Stro out with a calf tear. Huge blow.

:gaah:

Yep....that's a tough one for sure.

So apparently even in this bizarro reality pandemic shortened season...nothing can outdo the Mets yearly proclivity or rotten luck when it comes to injuries to their front line players, happening way more than to any other team in MLB.

I'll go with:

"Years That End with Odd or Even Numbers" for $2000, Alex.

:dhd:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's July 24th, 2020....and that means it's finally....

OPENING DAY!!!

:clap:

Opening Day FAQ: Braves vs. Mets

:thumb:

Braves at Mets (4:10 p.m., ESPN): Opening Day has been the Mets’ time to shine, as the franchise ranks first all-time in winning percentage (.655) in the first game of the season, including victories in 38 of the past 50 openers and each of the past three. It also helps to have Jacob deGrom on the mound as he looks to become the first pitcher to win three straight Cy Young Awards since Randy Johnson (1999-2002). The Braves will counter with 22-year-old Mike Soroka, who will be the franchise’s youngest Opening Day starter since 1878. Soroka, who had the NL’s lowest home run rate last year, will have to contend with slugger Pete Alonso, who is fresh off setting MLB’s rookie home run record (53).

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets put Stroman on IL with calf muscle tear

During his initial run with the Mets, Lagares hit .254 with 25 home runs, 44 stolen bases and a .659 OPS. He is not a candidate to make the Opening Day roster, a source said, but will instead go to the team’s alternate site in Brooklyn to serve as a depth option.

So will Dozier, 33, a former All-Star who hit 42 home runs as the Twins’ everyday second baseman in 2016. Last year, Dozier batted .238 with 20 homers for the Nationals before also signing a free-agent deal in San Diego this winter. The Padres would have owed Dozier $2.2 million had they added him to their 40-man roster; instead they released him last week.

Lagares and Dozier fill the vacancies left by the departures of Cabrera and Beckham, who both signed Minor League deals in the days leading up to Summer Camp.

Second opinion
Infielder Jed Lowrie plans to seek a second opinion about the left knee issues that forced him back to the IL earlier this week. The team plans to have more clarity on Lowrie, who has taken just eight plate appearances since signing a two-year, $20 million deal before last season, in the coming days.

“Right now we’re just trying to identify the source of his discomfort, his pain,” Rojas said.

Comeback kid
More than a year after his last big league game, Eduardo Núñez is set to return to the Majors. A source said that Núñez has made the Mets' 30-man roster, which the team plans to announce on Thursday.

Núñez, 33, was released by the Red Sox last July 20 and sat out the remainder of the season. A former All-Star infielder for the Twins, Núñez will serve as a backup second baseman, third baseman and shortstop in New York.

Working from home
Hitting coach Chili Davis, who has been working remotely from his home in Arizona throughout Summer Camp, does not know if or when he will join the Mets this season.

“I’m actually at home because of the risk, with a few underlying health conditions that I have,” Davis said. “So I haven’t really made a decision on that yet. But apparently, everything’s gone real well in New York with the Spring Training 2.0, and I’m really happy to see that.”

Davis talks two to three times per day with assistant hitting coach Tom Slater, who has handled day-to-day operations in his absence. Minor League hitting coordinator Ryan Ellis has also been at Citi Field, and Davis has watched from afar via footage sent to him by Mets video staffers.

New position
The Mets have moved Donovan Mitchell Sr. to the newly created position of director of diversity, opportunity, inclusion & training. The team plans to announce details on his role in the coming weeks. Mitchell, the father of NBA star Donovan Mitchell Jr., was previously the team’s director of player relations and community engagement.