• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One under performing Flyer

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When I look at the Flyers roster right now, virtually every player is at least playing up to what you expect. Hartnell, GIroux and Jagr are dominant. Read, COuturier, RInaldo, Harry Z, more than expected. More than expected. Simmonds, Voracek, Talbot, about what you expected. Briere had been a little below his standards, but still producing, and is a playoff stud.
The D has been great. Ilya has been up and down, so maybe I could argue he should be better.

But the one guy who has consistently been invisible has been JVR. He is not a bust, but take away a 10 game stretch last year, and one dominant playoff game, and he is an unnecessary piece of this team...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I look at the Flyers roster right now, virtually every player is at least playing up to what you expect. Hartnell, GIroux and Jagr are dominant. Read, COuturier, RInaldo, Harry Z, more than expected. More than expected. Simmonds, Voracek, Talbot, about what you expected. Briere had been a little below his standards, but still producing, and is a playoff stud.
The D has been great. Ilya has been up and down, so maybe I could argue he should be better.

But the one guy who has consistently been invisible has been JVR. He is not a bust, but take away a 10 game stretch last year, and one dominant playoff game, and he is an unnecessary piece of this team...

Excellent post and i wish Holmgren would try to get rid of him before the rest of the leaugue figures out he's not as good as he is advertised.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post and i wish Holmgren would try to get rid of him before the rest of the leaugue figures out he's not as good as he is advertised.

I still think he could be dangerous if he would learn a new move!!!!!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BroadStBull Sam Carchidi
“@Japadelphia: @BroadStBull What is up w JVR's productivity? Line match up? He doesn't look like Flyer of last year.” not 100% healthy.

That would explain a lot. If he is 100% though...

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well.....he is getting paid 1.6 mil this year, so i am going to argue that he is in fact playing up to the level of his contract. now if he continues at this pace next year, then he will be considered playing below his level.

i disagree that he is an unnecessary part of this team. don't overlook the toll he takes on defenses that have to shut him down with his speed and size combo. it could be worse we could still have jeff carter.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BroadStBull Sam Carchidi
“@Japadelphia: @BroadStBull What is up w JVR's productivity? Line match up? He doesn't look like Flyer of last year.” not 100% healthy.

That would explain a lot. If he is 100% though...

yes thats what i keep hearing too. if it gets into february that he is still not healthy they need to shut him down until he is healthy. im so tired of mccrossin thinkin these guys are just going to get healthy throughout the year. mike richards shoulders were fucked from the beginning of last year and the year before and we just let him play through it. shut him down and get him healthy.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Richie is the perfect example. An injured JVR in December is not as important as the apparent healthy clutch JVR come playoffs.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Richie is the perfect example. An injured JVR in December is not as important as the apparent healthy clutch JVR come playoffs.

He still needs a new move...................:dhd:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still needs a new move...................:dhd:

He needs a new move he needs to play D he needs to camp in front he needs to go in the corner he needs to check someone he needs to stick up for a teamate he needs................(add anything hockey related here)

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JVR was asked about his a potential injury and he was very reluctant to talk about that while answering, which leads me to believe he does in fact have some lingering injury. with that being said, i'm not ready to give up on JVR just yet. its definitely frustrating to think hes a number 2 overall pick, in his 3rd nhl season, and drafted 5 years ago, and still fails to produce like a 2 overall pick..but he is still only 22, and i'm not ready to give up on that. he has the ability to be a special player and maybe with a little more maturity and development i do still think he can be that player.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge JVR fan and I see a ton of potential in him. I'm not going to reiterate the points already made.

What drives me nuts is that every criticism of JVR in this thread goes double for Briere, yea he still pops in the occasional point but he plays no defense, isnt doing well in the face off dot, hes ectremely soft protecting tge puck, doesnt backcheck at all, has become a turn over machine & he's constantly doing dumb shit that cause us to go on the pk. The argument that he's money in the playoffs needs to have some expiration date now. He's massively underperforming especially when u factor in his ridiculous contract. If one guy on this roster isn't performing its Briere.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm a huge JVR fan and I see a ton of potential in him. I'm not going to reiterate the points already made.

What drives me nuts is that every criticism of JVR in this thread goes double for Briere, yea he still pops in the occasional point but he plays no defense, isnt doing well in the face off dot, hes ectremely soft protecting tge puck, doesnt backcheck at all, has become a turn over machine & he's constantly doing dumb shit that cause us to go on the pk. The argument that he's money in the playoffs needs to have some expiration date now. He's massively underperforming especially when u factor in his ridiculous contract. If one guy on this roster isn't performing its Briere.

Consistently is one of our top point getters every year. That speaks enough. Your criticisms are true, but that is on top of already scoring tons of points and being clutch as it gets come playoff time.

I agree with you on JvR, but couldn't disagree with you more on a Briere.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consistently is one of our top point getters every year. That speaks enough. Your criticisms are true, but that is on top of already scoring tons of points and being clutch as it gets come playoff time.

My criticsims are based off of this year so far and not past seasons. The purpose of my post was more to get other to reflect on the fact that the complaints they make about other players more then likely also apply to Briere. I may be biased since I despise players who can not play all facets of the game. In fact I'd go so far as to say the there is only 1 player on our roster I would want on the ice less for an important draw(Shelley would be the last).

In my eyes pucks will always find the back of the net even in the absence of big name players. Any player who is incapable of playing defense and does not back check will cost their teams more goals against then they can put up. I'm not saying you have to be a defensive dynamo, but you at least have to get back and cover a guy maybe take away a shooting lane and not just float near the blue line.

I know a lot of you will never see Briere in the way I do though. I just have never understood how Briere got so much love for his playoff performances but Richie never got praise for just how good he was the same years.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know a lot of you will never see Briere in the way I do though. I just have never understood how Briere got so much love for his playoff performances but Richie never got praise for just how good he was the same years.

Briere just hasn't really gelled with anyone this year. Other years he had guys he listened and go where he wants them to go to set them up (Hartnell, Leino, even Giroux). This year we have guys that just go hard to the net but aren't really good for playmakers. Simmonds, Voracek, etc. I think Voracek has turned the corner and they will start to click more.

Jagr is getting all of this love yet he only has 4 more points than Danny while playing with CLAUDE GIROUX. 25 points with underperforming linemates is not too shabby.

Briere scores in clutch situations. I'm not a Richie hater, but you cannot say one player was significantly better than the other in the playoffs. Briere scores when it matters most. I don't see how you are not accepting his playoff performance. It is other worldly.

I think your bias against his type of player is blocking the fact that is a big time performer.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briere just hasn't really gelled with anyone this year. Other years he had guys he listened and go where he wants them to go to set them up (Hartnell, Leino, even Giroux). This year we have guys that just go hard to the net but aren't really good for playmakers. Simmonds, Voracek, etc. I think Voracek has turned the corner and they will start to click more.

Jagr is getting all of this love yet he only has 4 more points than Danny while playing with CLAUDE GIROUX. 25 points with underperforming linemates is not too shabby.

Briere scores in clutch situations. I'm not a Richie hater, but you cannot say one player was significantly better than the other in the playoffs. Briere scores when it matters most. I don't see how you are not accepting his playoff performance. It is other worldly.

I think your bias against his type of player is blocking the fact that is a big time performer.

Yep until DB stinks it up in the playoffs he gets a pass in my books. perhaps he saves himself a bit as he's a smallish guy.

JVR leave the dude alone he's young and is still finding his way. Heck half of you would have given Harts away for nothing a month ago....don't run 22 year old power forwards out of town!

Loved what Richie did in the playoffs prob would have done more if he wasn't hurt mainly due to the style of his play. I'm hoping guys like Talbot, Simmonds, Read, etc... more than make up for him.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JvR was money in last years playoffs, but he's a gliding waste this year.

It's just like Las said....

"He needs a new move, he needs to play D, he needs to camp in front, he needs to go in the corner, he needs to check someone, he needs to stick up for a teamate, he needs.........."

Listen, knowing what he COULD BE, I'd hate like hell to give up a player of his age and size, but face it folks....every single point of Las's post is dead on true. I say we package him up and send him off for Weber asap if not sooner.

smileyvault-2c.gif

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JvR was money in last years playoffs, but he's a gliding waste this year.

It's just like Las said....

"He needs a new move, he needs to play D, he needs to camp in front, he needs to go in the corner, he needs to check someone, he needs to stick up for a teamate, he needs.........."

Listen, knowing what he COULD BE, I'd hate like hell to give up a player of his age and size, but face it folks....every single point of Las's post is dead on true. I say we package him up and send him off for Webeif not sooner.

smileyvault-2c.gif

Don't forget, he needs a new move!!! As much as I like the current team, we are talking about Weber. He is a legit #1. He is young, big, tough, a leader and has a great shot. He is the missing piece to the puzzel. I don't want to see JVR go but it will take about 10 seconds to forget him the 1st time I see Weber in Orange and Black.:hail:

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXACTLY!!!

Except for his # 21 jersey that I have hanging in my closet to remind me....
out_cold.gif
.....10 seconds sounds about right. lol

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take jvr playing like this all season over bryz playing like he has....

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take jvr playing like this all season over bryz playing like he has....

It is the game from last night that is making you say this? If so, please tell me youre joking.