• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One True Champion?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the article addresses the situation pretty well.

If I'm not mistaken, the Big 12 went to the NCAA to request permission to hold a conference championship game even though it had 10 members, and was denied.

The Big 12 has consistently stated they would wait and see how the process works to determine the 4 best teams in the new CFP system. Tonight will be quite telling.

I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, let the tiebreaker determine a champion… on the other hand… Baylor played by its own rules and went chicken shit with their non-conference schedule… so…

It's going to be interesting to see how the committee handles this. From its inception, they've stated that SOS, conference champions will be strong factors when comparing similar teams.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The motto was bullshit from the start I thought. The Big12 is the only conference that has "Co-Champions" and such, where the office then decides who goes to the bowl game etc. Every time I see that commercial I /facepalm at it.

But I agree, Baylor should be the champ if they win this weekend.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having followed the BE play their round robin before moving to the Big 12, it was understood that this format can result in a tie… and that there are tie breaker rules to determine the champion.

I know why the Big 12 attempted to take that road of distinction, but it may blow up on them Saturday if both Baylor and TCU win.

A round robin format is far superior than what any other conference can accomplish these days.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having followed the BE play their round robin before moving to the Big 12, it was understood that this format can result in a tie… and that there are tie breaker rules to determine the champion.

I know why the Big 12 attempted to take that road of distinction, but it may blow up on them Saturday if both Baylor and TCU win.

A round robin format is far superior than what any other conference can accomplish these days.

Usually there are tiebreakers, but the Big12 seemed to always have a bunch of "Co-Champions" instead of doing a tie breaker.

Last I heard was the Big12 would pick which team would go for the bowl tie ins. But obviously, with the playoff committee they can't do that for the playoffs.

Round robin format is terrible and is the only format where this can happen, and your champion plays 1 less game every year.

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big East used to do that and I did not like that. Although I believe TCU has a better schedule strength and make-up etc. it should be who won head to head declared the champion.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather know that my league has every team playing every other team in the conference… than some of the bullshit scenarios that happen in every other conference with the unbalanced schedules.

WVU fans know they will see BU, KU, KSU, OU, and TCU one season… and TT, UT, ISU and Okie St the next. Coaches don't have to worry about cross divisional schedules being softer for one team over another.

If the Big 12 finds that not having a conference championship game hurts their champion, I'm sure they'll go about ways to get one. As the article mentioned, the Big 12 has seen its CCG hurt its more highly ranked team.

While I don't expect Bama to lose Saturday, a loss would most likely shut the SEC out of the playoff.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather know that my league has every team playing every other team in the conference… than some of the bullshit scenarios that happen in every other conference with the unbalanced schedules.

WVU fans know they will see BU, KU, KSU, OU, and TCU one season… and TT, UT, ISU and Okie St the next. Coaches don't have to worry about cross divisional schedules being softer for one team over another.

If the Big 12 finds that not having a conference championship game hurts their champion, I'm sure they'll go about ways to get one. As the article mentioned, the Big 12 has seen its CCG hurt its more highly ranked team.

While I don't expect Bama to lose Saturday, a loss would most likely shut the SEC out of the playoff.

The SEC format was fine with 12 teams. You had 3 cross divisional games per year, 2 of which rotated on a set schedule, 1 of them was a perm rival. So you never went more than 2 years without playing someone.

With 14 teams that got screwed up a bit. Now you have 1 more divisional game, and only 2 cross divisional games, and only 1 of them rotates. You can go a long time without facing a certain team. That does suck, but I'd still prefer it over round robin. I'm hoping the SEC just gets rid of divisions completely, does a few perm rivals(like 2 or 3) and then rotates the rest of the 5 game schedule every year, so you never go more than a few years without playing a team. And then the 2 best teams would play in a championship game, rather than the label of "division champion".

Because I do not believe Mizzou is the 2nd best SEC team, and I don't think they would have such a record playing in the SEC West.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC format was fine with 12 teams. You had 3 cross divisional games per year, 2 of which rotated on a set schedule, 1 of them was a perm rival. So you never went more than 2 years without playing someone.

With 14 teams that got screwed up a bit. Now you have 1 more divisional game, and only 2 cross divisional games, and only 1 of them rotates. You can go a long time without facing a certain team. That does suck, but I'd still prefer it over round robin. I'm hoping the SEC just gets rid of divisions completely, does a few perm rivals(like 2 or 3) and then rotates the rest of the 5 game schedule every year, so you never go more than a few years without playing a team. And then the 2 best teams would play in a championship game, rather than the label of "division champion".

Because I do not believe Mizzou is the 2nd best SEC team, and I don't think they would have such a record playing in the SEC West.

I think you just made a point about why the round robin is a great way to go, instead of wondering how Mizz would do in your SEC west you would see it actually played out on the field. I think they might be just fine after watching some of your late season matchups....but like I said we will never know. Round robin you do not miss teams on their up year.

They just need to expand the playoff already, would rather see it all settled on field.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you just made a point about why the round robin is a great way to go, instead of wondering how Mizz would do in your SEC west you would see it actually played out on the field. I think they might be just fine after watching some of your late season matchups....but like I said we will never know. Round robin you do not miss teams on their up year.

They just need to expand the playoff already, would rather see it all settled on field.

No co-champions + championship game > Round Robin. Plus, there is a better way if you get rid of divisions, but it would be a very long post.

Pac12 is happy to have gotten rid of round robin.

4 teams is too many for the playoffs as it is. Right now people are crying about the 4th place team, which is silly to me, if the argument isn't being made for deserving a chance at #1, it doesn't belong.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you get rid of divisions… there will always be the need for divisional tie breaker rules.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually pretty rare you see divisional tie breakers. Can't think of a time off the top of my head when that has happened where head to head wouldn't take care of it(I don't think of head to head as a tie breaker).

It did happen a good bit back when the SEC was round robin.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually pretty rare you see divisional tie breakers. Can't think of a time off the top of my head when that has happened where head to head wouldn't take care of it(I don't think of head to head as a tie breaker).

It did happen a good bit back when the SEC was round robin.

I can't remember it happening in the SEC either, but it happened in the Big 12 when OU, UT and TT had a three way tie.

And, head to head is still a tie breaker rule when two teams have the same W/L record… right?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember it happening in the SEC either, but it happened in the Big 12 when OU, UT and TT had a three way tie.

And, head to head is still a tie breaker rule when two teams have the same W/L record… right?

Apparently, the B12 is not claiming a tiebreaker which I think is BS. Co-champions :wtf2: lets just give everyone a participation certificate.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, technically head to head is a tie breaker. I just don't really consider it one because it's such a clear cut difference I can hardly consider it a "tie" to start with. It's when you start getting 3 teams where the head to head goes on in a circle that I start to see things as a tie.

For example, say Ole Miss only lost 1 game this year. I really wouldn't consider them to be tied with Alabama because of the head to head. Even though technically it was the head to head that would have made the difference.

I guess it's just such an instinctual tie breaker that I just don't really see it as such.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could be looking at an old BigEast style flop this weekend. If KState beats Baylor ( which I think they will BTW)
And TCU plays the role of another team from the past that was heavily favored over a team that they should beat handily for a ticket to the party with the popular kids with Paul Rhodes playing the role of spoiler.. We could go from possibly having two teams in the playoff to a 13-9ish thud for the conference.