• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On the verge of a lost season

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Eagles can reach the halfway mark at 4-4 with a win over a bad Jacksonville team next week. But it is becoming clear that this team has major problems on both sides of the ball.

On defense, the secondary is simply unable to stop anyone who focuses on passing every down. I am starting to think this goes beyond the players and to the defensive looks Jim Schwartz runs when he has a lead, which are simply too conservative. The loss of Rodney McCloud was apparently pretty big, but frankly he wasn't that good and we need better depth there.

On offense, the running backs and offensive line have really dropped off from last year. With Jeffery back the passing game has been OK, though we still miss the deep threat Torrey Smith provided. But the biggest problem has been the loss of Ajayi and Blount. Corey Clement seems to be more injured than they are letting on, and Wendell Smallwood is just a guy. Meanwhile it is clear that our offensive line is not what it was. Lane Johnson is having a subpar year and Jason Peters finally looks to be cooked.

I expect Howie to make some moves at the trade deadline to try and jumpstart things--maybe a safety, in addition to a running back. But unfortunately I think some of the problems with this roster can only be fixed in the offseason. It's looking like a lost year to me.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you hit on most points ... Jim Schwartz has been awful; opposing teams have adjusted to his schemes from last year and he hasn't adjusted well. We are letting receivers get college type separation out there. I would absolutely find a new DC this off-season. The OL is a big problem ... Jason Peters is a HOF'er, but the current version of Jason Peters is done and we don't have a suitable replacement on the team. Our 1st round pick next season should focus on the position. Lane Johnson is not having a good year by his standards, but he's ok on the right side. LT and a Guard need to be high picks in the next draft. RB needs to be addressed as well ... Smallwood is obviously not starter material and Clement, even though better, is backup material as well. We can find an upgrade in the middle rounds of the draft ... but we can't rely on finding gems as rookie free agents.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Eagles can reach the halfway mark at 4-4 with a win over a bad Jacksonville team next week. But it is becoming clear that this team has major problems on both sides of the ball.

On defense, the secondary is simply unable to stop anyone who focuses on passing every down. I am starting to think this goes beyond the players and to the defensive looks Jim Schwartz runs when he has a lead, which are simply too conservative. The loss of Rodney McCloud was apparently pretty big, but frankly he wasn't that good and we need better depth there.

On offense, the running backs and offensive line have really dropped off from last year. With Jeffery back the passing game has been OK, though we still miss the deep threat Torrey Smith provided. But the biggest problem has been the loss of Ajayi and Blount. Corey Clement seems to be more injured than they are letting on, and Wendell Smallwood is just a guy. Meanwhile it is clear that our offensive line is not what it was. Lane Johnson is having a subpar year and Jason Peters finally looks to be cooked.

I expect Howie to make some moves at the trade deadline to try and jumpstart things--maybe a safety, in addition to a running back. But unfortunately I think some of the problems with this roster can only be fixed in the offseason. It's looking like a lost year to me.

I agree but I would add that Pederson has been exposed. Without Reich at his side he is pedestrian. Also Howie missed the target in FA. I said at the beginning of the season that the Eagles would end up 8-8 or 9-7 and that is where they appear headed.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a positive note I think Wentz will be fine. He is playing pretty well and will get better over time.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero problem with Wentz ... I hear some people laying onto him on social media about not hitting an open Smallwood in the flat on the game ending turnover, but you can't expect the QB to be perfect on every snap. The kid broke a consecutive completions record for the franchise yesterday, threw for 81%, 310 yards and 2 TD's. I get the fumble, but he was trying to make a play and the pocket collapsed ... for the year he has a 10-1 TD to INT ratio.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero problem with Wentz ... I hear some people laying onto him on social media about not hitting an open Smallwood in the flat on the game ending turnover, but you can't expect the QB to be perfect on every snap. The kid broke a consecutive completions record for the franchise yesterday, threw for 81%, 310 yards and 2 TD's. I get the fumble, but he was trying to make a play and the pocket collapsed ... for the year he has a 10-1 TD to INT ratio.

and we're 3-4... the only stat that matters.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right now, I'm hoping for 8-8 this year. Anyone who blames Wentz is out of their mind.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lane needs to get back on the juice.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are LUCKY to have Wentz moving forward - anyone who bashes him is a tool.

It's the supporting cast - we have no starting talent in the backfield, the injuries that we were able to overcome last year are kicking our ass this year, and Schwartz is showing to be overrated and too rigid in his strategy - on paper his defense looks good but they've surrendered too many big plays at critical junctures of games that have cost us victories. NO excuse for TWO blown double-digit 4th quarter leads in 4 games.

I still have not given up hope on the season, assuming that some of those guys return from injury later in the year. We're almost at the halfway point of the season and no one is running away with the division... if we get in as a #3 seed I think there's plenty of teams that wouldn't want to play us in the post-season.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have zero problem with Wentz as well. As for the backlash....I did see a stat the other day that Wentz is 3/12 in comeback attempts in his career. That was it....just that stat. It sounds so horrible by itself. But what feeds into that stat? Defense crumbling? Bad playcalling? Untimely penalties?

It just seemed like a ridiculous stat on face value.....and just the kind of stat lemmings love.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you combine last year and this year so far ... Wentz has a TD-INT ratio of 43-8. Only Drew Brees has a better ratio during that time of 46-8. Is Wentz going to miss a throw here or there? sure ... he's human, but we need to realize just how lucky we are to have this guy.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero problem with Wentz as well. As for the backlash....I did see a stat the other day that Wentz is 3/12 in comeback attempts in his career. That was it....just that stat. It sounds so horrible by itself. But what feeds into that stat? Defense crumbling? Bad playcalling? Untimely penalties?

It just seemed like a ridiculous stat on face value.....and just the kind of stat lemmings love.

Here is a link to all the recent stats. The best is Brady at 37%. This is games where the QB was trailing in the 4th Qtr. I am assuming these numbers are through the end of last season.

Every recent starting QB's 4th quarter comeback stats : nfl

HuskerNGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed field goal hurt. That and going 50% in red zone. Turn those two opportunities into TDs or just one and end could have been different. That is what has changed the most on offense. Red zone TDS have not been good. 17th @ 55% this year while last year 2nd @ 64%. Seems they are finding ways to lose this year while last year were finding ways to win. While possible, they roughly need to go 7-2 to make playoffs. Going to be tough. I think chance at wild card is very slim.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed field goal hurt. That and going 50% in red zone. Turn those two opportunities into TDs or just one and end could have been different. That is what has changed the most on offense. Red zone TDS have not been good. 17th @ 55% this year while last year 2nd @ 64%. Seems they are finding ways to lose this year while last year were finding ways to win. While possible, they roughly need to go 7-2 to make playoffs. Going to be tough. I think chance at wild card is very slim.

I think chances for any NFCE wildcard is shot. Win division and in. Ok...7-2. Hang the Saints and Rams games as of now as the two losses. Five division games, the Jags next week and the Texans at home in Dec.

If they were firing all cylinders this is totally doable. 10-6 and 6-0 in division should equal playoff berth. But that’s they catch....they need to fire all cylinders now.

Sorry Dougie P...the pressure is not off.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think chances for any NFCE wildcard is shot. Win division and in. Ok...7-2. Hang the Saints and Rams games as of now as the two losses. Five division games, the Jags next week and the Texans at home in Dec.

If they were firing all cylinders this is totally doable. 10-6 and 6-0 in division should equal playoff berth. But that’s they catch....they need to fire all cylinders now.

Sorry Dougie P...the pressure is not off.

This irated me when I saw the press conference

I understand he has to go out to the press and do coach-speak and maybe he is telling his players min the locker room something else - i.e. the pressure is on you guys - but dang I wish he would go out there and own up to it
Say - "Hell yes the pressure is on us - in fact there is more pressure now than at beginning of season because we are blowing these fucking games"

If any player or coach drinks that Kool Aidthat Perderson set on the table and thinks that there is no pressure now...well they shouldn't be in football or any competitve sport

As Herm Edwards so eloquently put it : "You play to win the game"

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This irated me when I saw the press conference

I understand he has to go out to the press and do coach-speak and maybe he is telling his players min the locker room something else - i.e. the pressure is on you guys - but dang I wish he would go out there and own up to it
Say - "Hell yes the pressure is on us - in fact there is more pressure now than at beginning of season because we are blowing these fucking games"

If any player or coach drinks that Kool Aidthat Perderson set on the table and thinks that there is no pressure now...well they shouldn't be in football or any competitve sport

As Herm Edwards so eloquently put it : "You play to win the game"

My call out of that was less calling out that this is the message sent to the team....and more calling out this was a ridiculous comment to the press and fan base. Of course.....he was trained up by the big guy, and that includes handling the Philly media. At least he did't go to "ahem...I...eh....thats on me. I need to....ummmm...do a better job with that".

I am pretty sure the message to the team was much more solid and better. Guys like Long I feel would just call out BULLSHIT if he fed them that line.

But here is the part I get. The reality of the pressure there is and the mess that needs to be cleaned up can be shared out with this team. They will digest it and get to work. Share that message with the press and fan base and places like WIP would instantly melt for the foreseeable future. Maybe places like that are already melting....but the truth would have made it worse.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3