• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Olympian Okoye trying out for 49ers...

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olympian Okoye calls 49ers? OTAs ?hardest thing I?ve ever done? | ProFootballTalk

Lawrence Okoye, the British Olympic discus thrower who decided to try American football and signed with the 49ers as an undrafted free agent, admits he didn’t know what he was getting himself into.

Okoye told England’s Shortlist magazine that the 49ers’ Organized Team Activities showed him just how tough American football is.

“It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done,” Okoye said.

The 21-year-old Okoye is a great all-around athlete. In addition to reaching the Olympics in the discus, he has run 100 meters in less than 11 seconds, ridiculously fast for a man who weighs more than 300 pounds. And Shortlist reported that “He once scored a try at Twickenham,” whatever that means. But he says the training for the NFL is challenging him in a way he hadn’t been challenged before.

“The two things are worlds apart,” he said. “But there is crossover in terms of the work I do in the weights room where – for the past couple of years in particular – the objective has been to build size, strength and, most importantly, explosive power. Right now, my training time is spent between specific position drills, conditioning and weight training. It’s different each day, but the circuit stuff designed to improve my anaerobic fitness is the real killer.”

So who is an athlete from another sport you'd think could play NFL? At what position? I think it would be intriguing to see Usain Bolt as a Carolina Panzer WR.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR for a sprinter is hard because there's so many football related skills you need.

A former rugby player who's clearly a beast has a lot more upside. It will be interesting to see how exactly they use him.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit he is a beast!!

LB, DE, RB TE...

I would love to see him play out of the back field and just pound the rock. Also line up at TE, 6-6 is pretty tall. I assume his hands should be pretty strong from discus throwing. Probably different but I think some of the principles should remain the same.