• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 as a Package Deal/Where's the best place to land?

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What derailed the deal? LHN? 3/4 not considered academically elite? Something else?
Scott came back the next day saying the funding he promised was not there ... but would be in a year or 2 — OU and Texas saw a deal that they had agreed to disappear. Neither has trusted Scott since.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott came back the next day saying the funding he promised was not there ... but would be in a year or 2 — OU and Texas saw a deal that they had agreed to disappear. Neither has trusted Scott since.
If memory serves the LHN not sharing was a major issue as well.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC core is two time zones away from OU or Texas. Kickoffs at 9pm central? $2000 flights for away games? No thanks.

You haven’t flown recently. It isn’t hard to find a cheap flight to LA or Seattle. The 9pm kickoff is nonsense. The whole reason the PAC would want Texas and OU is to get into the central time zone. They aren’t sticking them with 4-5 9pm kickoffs. That isn’t how business works

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?
If memory serves the LHN not sharing was a major issue as well.
???? Then there was never a deal ??? A deal was in place ... next day Scott came back and changed the conditions (money) OU and Texas walk away from the changing conditions.

Slag

Boots. And Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fk Texas let them find there own way, keep the red river shootout other than that no.
OU needs to be in the SEC. They would do fine. And bolster that conference even more.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What derailed the deal? LHN? 3/4 not considered academically elite? Something else?
"Academically elite" isn't an issue for the SEC, Big XII, or the PAC. It is for the B1G, and I thought it was for the ACC until they let Louisville in and then allowed UNC to get off with non-existent classes. That said, I still think it is for ACC schools.

Plus the PAC is dumpster fire financially right now. The Big XII teams would be givers, not takers there. It doesn't make any sense.

I think the USF and UCF schools are attractive if they will commit to certain things like building better facilities. They have huge student bodies, and the Florida market is attractive both for TV and recruiting. Look, there aren't any good A-List schools sitting around waiting to be picked up. BYU, Memphis, UCF, USF, Tulane, SMU, are some that come to mind, although I am sure you could find a reason against all of them.

LongTimeSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven’t flown recently. It isn’t hard to find a cheap flight to LA or Seattle. The 9pm kickoff is nonsense. The whole reason the PAC would want Texas and OU is to get into the central time zone. They aren’t sticking them with 4-5 9pm kickoffs. That isn’t how business works
I'm not surprised you fly by yourself on junk-ass airlines, but my general figure includes 3-5 people in nice seats.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Be honest, is Texas leaving a conference they have with 60% of it in Texas or Oklahoma for the West Coast when they don’t have to?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are drivable distances. Which is the point.

But drinking on a plane there, at the game, at the hotel then back on the plane again beats the hell out of putting miles on your car. Only place that sucks in the Pac in terms of price and hotels really is Tucson and Pullman.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But drinking on a plane there, at the game, at the hotel then back on the plane again beats the hell out of putting miles on your car. Only place that sucks in the Pac in terms of price and hotels really is Tucson and Pullman.

That is what people don’t understand. It’s faster and easier for me to catch a USC game from Austin, than it is to catch a Texas Tech game

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question BD. Even if managed better, do you believe the PAC 12 would ever be able to garner a TV contract anywhere close to what the B1G or SEC have been able to? Or can they even appoach what the ACC and Big 12 gets?

Nope.

You guys recall in 2011 OU, OSU, TT & UT damn near joined the PAC, making it the PAC 16. Mack Brown said he went to bed thinking it was a done deal.

And right now, those same Big 12 schools are thanking their lucky stars that they didn't make that jump.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what people don’t understand. It’s faster and easier for me to catch a USC game from Austin, than it is to catch a Texas Tech game

That is simply not true. Getting in your car and driving to Lubbock is easier and faster than waiting around an airport to fly to LA. But the real point is the Big 12 already makes more money than the Pac, why leave for a conference with less money while adding to your travel expenses?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is simply not true. Getting in your car and driving to Lubbock is easier and faster than waiting around an airport to fly to LA. But the real point is the Big 12 already makes more money than the Pac, why leave for a conference with less money while adding to your travel expenses?

I think that an OU/Tex deal to the PAC, and you immediately turn around the TV deal. Could make something like that pretty lucrative, especially if teams could keep their 3rd tier rights money.

I'm not quite sure why the PAC under performs in viewership and their TV deal is so bad. Puzzling.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s true Lubbock is a long ass drive. Not to mention there are things to do around LA once you get there. The money thing is a management problem. There is no way anyone believes that a PAC 14 with OU and Texas could not out-earn the current Big 12 with a modicum of competent management

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that an OU/Tex deal to the PAC, and you immediately turn around the TV deal. Could make something like that pretty lucrative, especially if teams could keep their 3rd tier rights money.

I'm not quite sure why the PAC under performs in viewership and their TV deal is so bad. Puzzling.

They made a huge mistake and took ownership of their network thinking these conference networks were actually worth what ESPN was paying other conferences. PAC and ESPN are regretting those decisions today

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not under current Pac management. It would take a total do-over with an established media giant to pull that off.

Because they thought they could save money by doing it themselves. Instead, it is costing them big bucks.

It’s true Lubbock is a long ass drive. Not to mention there are things to do around LA once you get there. The money thing is a management problem. There is no way anyone believes that a PAC 14 with OU and Texas could not out-earn the current Big 12 with a modicum of competent management

Unless the Pac-12 killed their own network & bid the tv deal out to the highest bidder, you're just adding two more piggies to a sow with only 12 teats. Staying in the Big 12 or moving to the SEC or Big 10 is the only way Tex/oma will make more money. Plus, 4 of the Soon/horns opponents would be in the Mountain Time Zone & 8 in the Pacific. There's far more exposure to be had in the Central & Eastern Time zones.

They made a huge mistake and took ownership of their network thinking these conference networks were actually worth what ESPN was paying other conferences. PAC and ESPN are regretting those decisions today

I'm sure the Pac is regretting its decision; not so sure about ESPN. If they feel they've overpaid, ESPN can re-negotiate when their current deals are up.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on record as being much more in favor of poaching a couple off PAC teams than seeing OU join the SEC. But if Oklahoma ever does join the SEC, I would definitely want it to be done in a way that we played Alabama every year. I think OU and Bama could create the same kind of classy conference rivalry that OU and Nebraska enjoyed for years and never should have lost.