• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oh shit! Not another Kirk Cousins thread!

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some stuff I reading over the last couple days.

If Adam Schefter's on point to say the Skins/Cousins contracts talk hit a snag would be a sign of progress. According Schefter there have been no discussions between the two. Schefty also said while there are better players in the league than Kirk. No one has more leverage than Kirk Cousins who for his part. Said he's willing to play on another franchise tag next year. Heh. At 23.9 million I ain't mad at him and I can't blame him.

Best long-shot recruit on every NFL team

After his last game as a high school senior, Cousins had zero FBS scholarship offers. Although he was being recruited by Western Michigan and Toledo, it wasn't until Mark Dantonio was hired at Michigan State that Cousins' fortunes turned. Even then, the deal was that the Spartans would offer him a scholarship if they were turned down by higher-rated quarterbacks. Cousins will get paid handsomely this offseason, whether by the Redskins or another team, after he threw 54 touchdowns and 24 interceptions the past two years. -- John Keim

Redskins' playcalling will change with new coordinators

I also think Gruden tended to have less predictable personnel groupings and formations. But in talking to some players, they didn't think a whole lot would change because the philosophy will be the same. Both McVay and Gruden, one player said, know how to use their personnel. For what it's worth, it wasn't just a matter of McVay running Gruden's offense. They incorporated some of what previous Skins OC Kyle Shanahan used to run, and Bill Callahan was/is in charge of the run game.

The game plan also will depend on what happens at quarterback and with the receivers in the offseason. I do think the Redskins would like more balance than they had this season: 607 pass attempts, 379 runs. While McVay liked play-action, Gruden has used it more. The Redskins used it on 127 dropbacks in 2014 compared to 101 and 103 the past two years, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They averaged 11.98 yards per play-action attempt in '14 compared to 10.42 the past two years combined. Make of that what you will.

The Pro Bowl doesn’t matter, so whatever a player shows won’t alter the perception of what he can do. Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins hit a couple of throws, drove his team a little.

But one play did reveal quite a bit about Cousins, showing everyone the mentality that has helped land him on the doorstep of a mega-contract. Former Redskin Lorenzo Alexander intercepted a pass that slid through the outstretched hands of tight end Jimmy Graham and, as he was tackled, lateraled the ball to cornerback Aqib Talib.

That’s when Cousins showed what teammates and coaches see in practice, something they often point out about him. He ignored the fact that it was an exhibition and that he has no contract yet for next season, and he sprinted to catch Talib and punched the ball free. (Another thought: Really? He must have had a great angle and Talib must have gotten tired.)

It’s rare when players make such a hustle play in a meaningless game, especially a quarterback. Maybe it’s a bit unwise, too, given the stakes. But Cousins told ESPN’s James Walker after the game that he did so because "I want to win, man." We’ve seen scenes like that in practice, where he exhorts after big plays and chases down guys after bad ones. Teammates will say to him, "Really? It’s like that?" In other words, what are you doing, bro?

But that’s who he is and why he’s risen from a lightly recruited quarterback out of high school to a quality NFL player. It's the same approach he's used to prepare during the season and work on his game out of the season.

One of the appeals with Cousins is that not only has he improved the past two seasons, he has the mindset that won’t be sidetracked by a big new deal. The same can’t be said about every player. They get a little content, a little lazy. (Give cornerback Josh Norman credit: He didn’t alter his work habits after signing a big contract last spring.)

You can argue about how good Cousins is or debate whether he’s worth a certain amount of money. It’s all fair game. You can’t argue whether it matters to him. Quarterbacks need to show more than that, of course, but it’s a good place to start.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bruce is our NFL version of Trump, I just wish that he would point his index upward and use words like "Bigley," "we're going to get tired of winning," "Fake football" and tweet "sad" after declaring that the team is going to sign Cousins:D

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some stuff I reading over the last couple days.

The Pro Bowl doesn’t matter, so whatever a player shows won’t alter the perception of what he can do. Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins hit a couple of throws, drove his team a little.

But one play did reveal quite a bit about Cousins, showing everyone the mentality that has helped land him on the doorstep of a mega-contract. Former Redskin Lorenzo Alexander intercepted a pass that slid through the outstretched hands of tight end Jimmy Graham and, as he was tackled, lateraled the ball to cornerback Aqib Talib.

That’s when Cousins showed what teammates and coaches see in practice, something they often point out about him. He ignored the fact that it was an exhibition and that he has no contract yet for next season, and he sprinted to catch Talib and punched the ball free. (Another thought: Really? He must have had a great angle and Talib must have gotten tired.)

It’s rare when players make such a hustle play in a meaningless game, especially a quarterback. Maybe it’s a bit unwise, too, given the stakes. But Cousins told ESPN’s James Walker after the game that he did so because "I want to win, man." We’ve seen scenes like that in practice, where he exhorts after big plays and chases down guys after bad ones. Teammates will say to him, "Really? It’s like that?" In other words, what are you doing, bro?

But that’s who he is and why he’s risen from a lightly recruited quarterback out of high school to a quality NFL player. It's the same approach he's used to prepare during the season and work on his game out of the season.

One of the appeals with Cousins is that not only has he improved the past two seasons, he has the mindset that won’t be sidetracked by a big new deal. The same can’t be said about every player. They get a little content, a little lazy. (Give cornerback Josh Norman credit: He didn’t alter his work habits after signing a big contract last spring.)

You can argue about how good Cousins is or debate whether he’s worth a certain amount of money. It’s all fair game. You can’t argue whether it matters to him. Quarterbacks need to show more than that, of course, but it’s a good place to start.

Dumbest play you'll ever see a QB make in the worse all star game in any sport. Luckily, he didn't injure himself. (BTW: if he wanted to win, decline the invitation to that piece of shit, and I use this term loosely... game)

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really!! now I wonder what is going on in the mind of those who have no trust in what Allen says.

I will believe it when Kirk is signed. A few too many things are OK have come out of the mouth of Bruce which were complete and total lies as of late. The latest of which was.. our GM will be back at work once he finishes dealing with his "Family Matters".

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce is our NFL version of Trump, I just wish that he would point his index upward and use words like "Bigley," "we're going to get tired of winning," "Fake football" and tweet "sad" after declaring that the team is going to sign Cousins:D

He could talk about those "radical" agents but we don't use that term. I think the rules say no politics on the board. There is a political board if you prefer to use it. :nono:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we should dump the politics

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will believe it when Kirk is signed. A few too many things are OK have come out of the mouth of Bruce which were complete and total lies as of late. The latest of which was.. our GM will be back at work once he finishes dealing with his "Family Matters".
Really!! now I wonder what is going on in the mind of those who have no trust in what Allen says.
Why would anyone believe what Allen says. He is a proven liar. Remember how Scot was attending to his Grandmother's death as the reason for missing time? Well, that was clearly a lie. And that was just his latest......that we know of.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. I believe that it is simple. If they extend Cousins then you things will appear to be OK & we can move on. If they trade him then it is just a crapshoot regardless of the other moves & it will just be a huge question mark. If they keep him on the tag for 2017 - well IMO that would just be a stupid move that would likely yield less than desired results. At best that would be a way of guaranteeing that the Redskins severely overpay for his services since it would involve all of the tag $$ plus an extension (if they are lucky).

Agree w/ j_y - can't trust Allen so really for now all that matters is how they run the team over the near future. I love how in the interview Allen stated that he would never discuss personal conversations about players, coaches or staff members. Interesting considering how it is very likely that they leaked dirt on SM to help their cause of not paying him for years left on his contract. Maybe they didn't, but there is just something about this guy that makes it very hard to believe anything coming from his mouth.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could talk about those "radical" agents but we don't use that term. I think the rules say no politics on the board. There is a political board if you prefer to use it. :nono:

[Theme from Shaft]......but I'm talking 'bout Bruce, and we can dig it, he's a complicated man, that no one understands but his owner...

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumbest play you'll ever see a QB make in the worse all star game in any sport. Luckily, he didn't injure himself. (BTW: if he wanted to win, decline the invitation to that piece of shit, and I use this term loosely... game)

True. The 2nd worst might be getting hurt in a preseason game, especiallyone ypou didn't want to play. Remember when Portis hurt himself in preseason of 06 running down a DB who made an INT. Then he tried to come back too soon all year. Till he finally was busted up and missed the trest of thye hear.

Gibbs pretty forced Portis to play that game as CP didn't want any preseason work, at least not in games. Which I thought was prudent considering how overloaded his workload was the last 5 weeks of 05 tryingt to attain a playoff spot.