• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Thread

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Martinez was our leading tackler I wouldn't say he was our best. Most of his tackles came after the ball carrier made it at least 5 yards. I saw him out of place or picking wrong gaps on a large number of plays this year. If he came cheap I'd resign him but I sure wouldn't overpay.
  • 2019 he was credited with 155 tackles - which was second in the entire NFL to only Bobby Wagner who had 159
  • 2018 he had 144 - second only to Darius Leonard who had 163
  • 2017 he had 144 - tied for first in the NFL
The guy is not a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer, but don't sell him short. That's some really good consistent production.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those players don’t grow on trees.

that’s why I badly wanted Bush in the last draft

Agreed. Those type of players usually go in the top 10 of the draft. Unfortunately GB hasn't picked in the top 10 since BJ Raji in 2009. For only having 4 picks in the top ten within the past 19 years GB has done well winning a SB in 2010. Although top ten picks aren't guaranteed to be successful the odds are better than always picking in the bottom of the 1st round. Take San Fran for instance, not only have they picked in the top ten for the past 5-6 years but their picks turned out to be more hits than misses. It was evident in both games against them this year that they just had better talent. Let me ask this, do you think Martinez would start for the 9ers? Not a chance. Im not against Martinez because i think he is a solid player but if GB has any aspiration of getting back to the SB that position along with others has to vastly improve.

• 2019 he was credited with 155 tackles - which was second in the entire NFL to only Bobby Wagner who had 159
  • 2018 he had 144 - second only to Darius Leonard who had 163
  • 2017 he had 144 - tied for first in the NFL
The guy is not a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer, but don't sell him short. That's some really good consistent production.

No doubt. My only question is...where were the majority of tackles at? If its 5yds or more past the line of scrimmage like someone said in here than how does that help them get off the field?

Listen, i know you guys have great intentions but just make sure you are looking at it from all angles and hopefully the mgt will be able to improve the areas that are deficient.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. My only question is...where were the majority of tackles at? If its 5yds or more past the line of scrimmage like someone said in here than how does that help them get off the field?

Before Martinez, our safeties were our leading tacklers... I'll take Martinez!

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Those type of players usually go in the top 10 of the draft. Unfortunately GB hasn't picked in the top 10 since BJ Raji in 2009. For only having 4 picks in the top ten within the past 19 years GB has done well winning a SB in 2010. Although top ten picks aren't guaranteed to be successful the odds are better than always picking in the bottom of the 1st round. Take San Fran for instance, not only have they picked in the top ten for the past 5-6 years but their picks turned out to be more hits than misses. It was evident in both games against them this year that they just had better talent. Let me ask this, do you think Martinez would start for the 9ers? Not a chance. Im not against Martinez because i think he is a solid player but if GB has any aspiration of getting back to the SB that position along with others has to vastly improve.

Listen, i know you guys have great intentions but just make sure you are looking at it from all angles and hopefully the mgt will be able to improve the areas that are deficient.
The bigger issue is the DL not keeping OL off the second level

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger issue is the DL not keeping OL off the second level

No argument here. I believe the defense is one or two playmakers away from being dominate. At least one more on the DL and one in the ILB position. If Martinez has a playmaker to his side that just makes him better.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Martinez, our safeties were our leading tacklers... I'll take Martinez!

He was/is an improvement from what GB had. As a team mgt always has to look at how they can get better even if they win the SB but specially if they don't. Playing a 3-4 defense the LBs have to be studs. Right now GB doesn't have that. I don't have a clue as to what level of LBs that will be available in the draft but i dont like GBs chances picking late in the first round unless they get lucky. Im not going to hold my breathe but you never know. That leaves Free Agency. Again, i don't know who will be available but it has to be someone worth paying and filling that position or GB will be stuck with status quo.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was/is an improvement from what GB had. As a team mgt always has to look at how they can get better even if they win the SB but specially if they don't. Playing a 3-4 defense the LBs have to be studs. Right now GB doesn't have that. I don't have a clue as to what level of LBs that will be available in the draft but i dont like GBs chances picking late in the first round unless they get lucky. Im not going to hold my breathe but you never know. That leaves Free Agency. Again, i don't know who will be available but it has to be someone worth paying and filling that position or GB will be stuck with status quo.

Most of the best ILBs currently in the league were drafted between the middle of the first and middle of the second rounds. I'm pretty confident there will be a good ILB at 30 available for us; I'm less confident we'll actually draft him.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the best ILBs currently in the league were drafted between the middle of the first and middle of the second rounds. I'm pretty confident there will be a good ILB at 30 available for us; I'm less confident we'll actually draft him.

unfortunately I think you’re right. Not sure if it’s lack of evaluating talent or just missing on the picks. I still don’t think it helps that GB is consistently picking late in the 1st round.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB needs to acquire a playmaker in each of the following positions in order to make it to the SB:

ILB
DL
TE
WO
OL

Don’t know how they will do it but if they don’t get most of them, I believe they will come up short once again.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tight end Marcedes Lewis is expected to return to the Green Bay Packers on a one-year deal with a base value of $2.25 million, a source told ESPN.

The 2019 season was a rebirth for Lewis, who started 11 games for the Green Bay Packers and caught 15 passes for 156 yards and a touchdown after being used almost exclusively as a blocker the previous year.

Source: Packers' Lewis returning on 1-year deal

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams released Clay Matthews. I'm sure he won't be back with the Packers, but he'll surely play somewhere next season.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Martinez didn’t mind playing the blame game with the Green Bay Packers and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine on Monday afternoon during his first conference call with members of the New York Giants media.

Martinez was critical of his role in the Packers’ defensive system, in which he was “taught and told to be the clean-up crew guy,” according to Pat Leonard of NY Daily News. The four-year starter said he was given no gap responsibilities during the 2019 season with Pettine directing him to play off outside linebackers Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith and “to make them right.”

“Last year, we played a lot of match coverage zone, so it looks like we’re in man coverage,” Martinez said. “You look at it and it’s like, ‘What the heck? Shouldn’t Blake be covering him?’ I can do all the things you need to do as an NFL linebacker.”

New Giants LB Blake Martinez Rips Packers, Mike Pettine’s Defense | Heavy.com

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Martinez didn’t mind playing the blame game with the Green Bay Packers and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine on Monday afternoon during his first conference call with members of the New York Giants media.

Martinez was critical of his role in the Packers’ defensive system, in which he was “taught and told to be the clean-up crew guy,” according to Pat Leonard of NY Daily News. The four-year starter said he was given no gap responsibilities during the 2019 season with Pettine directing him to play off outside linebackers Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith and “to make them right.”

“Last year, we played a lot of match coverage zone, so it looks like we’re in man coverage,” Martinez said. “You look at it and it’s like, ‘What the heck? Shouldn’t Blake be covering him?’ I can do all the things you need to do as an NFL linebacker.”

New Giants LB Blake Martinez Rips Packers, Mike Pettine’s Defense | Heavy.com
I don't see that quote as Blake "ripping" Pettine or the Packers, he simply stated he was able to largely-accomplish the tall task that was placed before him within the system. Pettine wanted to give the Smiths the green light to go after the QB and had the confidence in Blake to cover for them. Ideally, we should've had two ILBs to handle that task - not one and a CB or S.

With Blake gone, the Smiths are probably going to have to stay home more now - which probably means less pass rush but better run D. If Pettine doesn't adjust his philosophy, we're going to be right back to a few years ago when Clay was over-committing to the pass rush and our safeties were the team's leading tacklers.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see that quote as Blake "ripping" Pettine or the Packers, he simply stated he was able to largely-accomplish the tall task that was placed before him within the system. Pettine wanted to give the Smiths the green light to go after the QB and had the confidence in Blake to cover for them. Ideally, we should've had two ILBs to handle that task - not one and a CB or S.

With Blake gone, the Smiths are probably going to have to stay home more now - which probably means less pass rush but better run D. If Pettine doesn't adjust his philosophy, we're going to be right back to a few years ago when Clay was over-committing to the pass rush and our safeties were the team's leading tacklers.
eh I wouldnt say they sacrifice rushing the QB. I just think we play more nickel than dime and have a third safety play in the second level

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh I wouldnt say they sacrifice rushing the QB. I just think we play more nickel than dime and have a third safety play in the second level

That's probably going to be how things go... and we'll probably end up as one of the top five worst rushing defenses in the league. :L

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably going to be how things go... and we'll probably end up as one of the top five worst rushing defenses in the league. :L
Let’s see how the draft pans out and the rest of free agency before we write the script on the season