• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason plan

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Fire the entire staff from GM on down.
  2. Hire almost anyone else in their place.
  3. Trade Mack for picks. He deserves better.
  4. Trade Hicks for picks. He deserves better.
  5. Trade Fuller for picks. He deserves better.
  6. Let ARob walk. He deserves better.
  7. Cut Graham so the new coaching staff has no choice but to play Kmet.
  8. Cut Massie and Leno and eat as much cap next year as possible.
  9. Cut Trevathan and Quinn and eat as much cap next year as possible.
  10. Draft almost exclusively offensive line talent in the draft. It should entirely be on the table to possibly start 3 rookies along with Whitehair and Daniels.
  11. Start Foles, Bray as backup.
  12. Tank, and tank like your life depends on it.
We play for the #1 pick next year to grab our QB of the future, hopefully with an offensive line capable of protecting him and a couple weapons (Mooney/Kmet) to work with. We'd probably suck in 2022 as well while the new QB takes his lumps but 2023 is what we're really playing for here.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  10. Draft almost exclusively offensive line talent in the draft. It should entirely be on the table to possibly start 3 rookies along with Whitehair and Daniels.
We play for the #1 pick next year to grab our QB of the future, hopefully with an offensive line capable of protecting him and a couple weapons (Mooney/Kmet) to work with. We'd probably suck in 2022 as well while the new QB takes his lumps but 2023 is what we're really playing for here.
I like our defense too much to let it go. We need to stock the OLine and bring in a good QB. I wouldn’t mind trading for Matt Ryan and drafting a QB in the first round. Even if we stick with Foles, we should draft a QB. Then we NEED to draft olinemen. The coach hire is going to be big.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize, the Bears do not have enough draft picks to cover those you're cutting, unless you plan to trade down?

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize, the Bears do not have enough draft picks to cover those you're cutting, unless you plan to trade down?
Practice squad caliber players. The goal is to out-Jets the Jets next season.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice squad caliber players. The goal is to out-Jets the Jets next season.

And when they do draft a QB and the defense sucks and can't stop anyone from scoring...you will demand they go out and sign talent on D. Talent they already had. The 2-3 years go by and the defense is finally good again...but the QB they drafted sucks.

Rinse and repeat.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an NFL GM and don't have the qualifications to be one. But I know this...

You don't fill holes by opening new ones. You just sink faster that way.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when they do draft a QB and the defense sucks and can't stop anyone from scoring...you will demand they go out and sign talent on D. Talent they already had. The 2-3 years go by and the defense is finally good again...but the QB they drafted sucks.

Rinse and repeat.
The thing is with building any team, you want to stay light and flexible until you've got the building blocks in place. In the NFL, that's a quarterback and the ability to win in the trenches. Considering how bad our O line is with nothing in the pipeline at QB, we need to suuuuuuuck for a couple years to hopefully build that base with some young talent, then when the team looks poised to make a run, make some splashy moves to fill out the roster.

Basically the exact same thing Pace tried to do going into 2018. He had his QB (or so he thought) with Trubisky and brought in Nagy to get the most out of him and the offense. He brought in Robinson/Burton/Gabriel/Amukamara/HHCD via FA and Mack via trade in one offseason with the intention of making a run for the superbowl. It didn't work, now we're up against the cap without a QB or a functional offensive line with our star receiver becoming a free agent. There's hardly any flexibility here to actually make the moves needed to become a superbowl caliber team, so might as well get what we can get for the vets that we have, suck for a couple years and start over.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do me a favor and name a team that tanked in the last twenty years...I mean sold off valuable parts and went to the bottom of the barrel before rebuilding and then won a Super Bowl.

I’ll wait here while you find that team.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do me a favor and name a team that tanked in the last twenty years...I mean sold off valuable parts and went to the bottom of the barrel before rebuilding and then won a Super Bowl.

So what should we do grey pubes? Just play it out and pray for a miracle at QB next year while the window is still barely open at defense?

After this year our window will be almost completely shut with no QB in sight and an offensive line that's not very good anyway. What is the point in having all this talent on defense?

In 2 years our defense will not resemble the defense it is now. So unless you can find that QB within the next 2 years, selling off the pieces is the smart move. Otherwise these pieces will walk and we get nothing (of significance) or these pieces will be on the wrong side of 30.

And this isn't even the monster hole that'll be left at WR because almost certainly ARob will be gone as well.

This is not rocket science you moron.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently McCaskey is pissed and let the press know it. Maybe heads will roll....Hard to blame him after multiple games of this sh*t...

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently McCaskey is pissed and let the press know it. Maybe heads will roll....Hard to blame him after multiple games of this sh*t...

Yeah it's like all those times that we hear Virginia is pissed off. Happens every offseason.

Yet the franchise doesn't change.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what should we do grey pubes? Just play it out and pray for a miracle at QB next year while the window is still barely open at defense?

After this year our window will be almost completely shut with no QB in sight and an offensive line that's not very good anyway. What is the point in having all this talent on defense?

In 2 years our defense will not resemble the defense it is now. So unless you can find that QB within the next 2 years, selling off the pieces is the smart move. Otherwise these pieces will walk and we get nothing (of significance) or these pieces will be on the wrong side of 30.

And this isn't even the monster hole that'll be left at WR because almost certainly ARob will be gone as well.

This is not rocket science you moron.

Bears went 12-4 a couple years ago with a garbage offense and a walking trash can at QB.

And were a missed FG away from a playoff victory and a date to play a team that manhandled in the regular season the next week.

Up and down this roster...they are closer to contention overall than they are far away.

There's no evidence to suggest this defense will definitely fall apart in 2 years. Not when you have young players coming into their own like Roquan and a rookie like Johnson beasting. Goldman comes back next season.

You definitely need to think about replacing Danny Trevathan. And once again wonder about edge opposite Mack. But outside of that...where's the worry?

The Bears had a tremendous defense in 2005 and 2006. And then fell off a bit. Everyone thought it was over and it was time to mortgage things and then after signing Peppers the defense rebounded strong and was very good again in 2010 with a lot of the same core guys from before.

You can build on the fly in this league. Selloffs and tanking are not necessity.

Still waiting for someone to name a team that, in recent history, has sold off parts and tanked to the bottom and then rebounded to win a Lombardi.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's like all those times that we hear Virginia is pissed off. Happens every offseason.

Yet the franchise doesn't change.

I dunno man...If we get kabombed vs the Packers out of the bye where it's obvious the offense is just utter sh*t still (high likelihood) then we may see some serious repercussions...but I hear you...Gotta see it to believe it.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was going to ask that same question.

Shit, I still remember the last game one year, between the New England Patriots and the old Baltimore Colts. It was literally a contest for last place. Both teams were actively and obviously trying to lose. The most shameful football I've ever seen. The Lingerie League had more integrity. And better uniforms.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have we been beat over the head by the Packers in the past 30 years?

How many times has this team limped to disappointing finishes?

How many times have we heard coaches and execs talk about fixing the offense or getting things right? And offense that is currently 31st in points scored and has finished 29th, 9th, 29th, 28th, 23rd, 23rd, 2nd, 16th, 17th, 21st, 19th, 14th, 18th, 2nd, 26th, 32nd, 23rd, 27th, 11th, and 28th dating back to the year 2000.

That's like an average of finishing 20th on a yearly basis.

Ownership sees it....knows it....has never done enough about it.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have we been beat over the head by the Packers in the past 30 years?

How many times has this team limped to disappointing finishes?

How many times have we heard coaches and execs talk about fixing the offense or getting things right? And offense that is currently 31st in points scored and has finished 29th, 9th, 29th, 28th, 23rd, 23rd, 2nd, 16th, 17th, 21st, 19th, 14th, 18th, 2nd, 26th, 32nd, 23rd, 27th, 11th, and 28th dating back to the year 2000.

That's like an average of finishing 20th on a yearly basis.

Ownership sees it....knows it....has never done enough about it.

I believed Rex Grossman would lead us to a Super Bowl victory. There's nothing you can bring-no matter how logical-that would top that in terms of hopelessly optimistic situations.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears went 12-4 a couple years ago with a garbage offense and a walking trash can at QB.

And were a missed FG away from a playoff victory and a date to play a team that manhandled in the regular season the next week.

Up and down this roster...they are closer to contention overall than they are far away.

There's no evidence to suggest this defense will definitely fall apart in 2 years. Not when you have young players coming into their own like Roquan and a rookie like Johnson beasting. Goldman comes back next season.

You definitely need to think about replacing Danny Trevathan. And once again wonder about edge opposite Mack. But outside of that...where's the worry?

The Bears had a tremendous defense in 2005 and 2006. And then fell off a bit. Everyone thought it was over and it was time to mortgage things and then after signing Peppers the defense rebounded strong and was very good again in 2010 with a lot of the same core guys from before.

You can build on the fly in this league. Selloffs and tanking are not necessity.

Still waiting for someone to name a team that, in recent history, has sold off parts and tanked to the bottom and then rebounded to win a Lombardi.

You're talking about the year where Trubisky was a pro bowler? That year only proves you need a QB that can actually play. So far there's none in sight.

In a couple years Mack will be 31, Hicks will be 33, Fuller will be 30. And lets face it, a defense is the pass rush. And Hicks and Mack are the pass rushers. This defense won't even be close to what it looks like now.

Still waiting for someone to name a team that won the Lombardi without a QB. This franchise has been looking for one for 35 years. To assume we'll find one magically in the next 2 years is tomfoolery.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking about the year where Trubisky was a pro bowler?

I'm actually talking about the year where he played in the Pro Bowl because he was subbed for Jared Goff...the guy that went to the SB.

And he was subbed because Brees and Rodgers also didn't want to play and Prescott and Wilson were replacing them....so there wasn't really anyone left.

Mitch had 3200 yards that season.....overall very average numbers. But don't let facts and logic get in your way.

That year only proves you need a QB that can actually play. So far there's none in sight.

The only thing that year proves is that a great defense can carry an average, at best, offense.
In a couple years Mack will be 31, Hicks will be 33, Fuller will be 30. And lets face it, a defense is the pass rush. And Hicks and Mack are the pass rushers. This defense won't even be close to what it looks like now.

Julius Peppers was 30 when he signed with the Bears in order to bring a pass rush and jumpstart the defense. That works. So just arbitrarily throwing out ages and saying this is why the defense will suck....doesn't add up. Maybe Mack and Hicks regress. Maybe they don't. Maybe you can use the draft picks you will have and free agency to replace them on the fly.

This isn't an argument for tanking. You're failing.
Still waiting for someone to name a team that won the Lombardi without a QB.

Well genius....it's been a pretty important position in the SB era. So....not sure what you think this proves.

How about if we point out teams in the past few decades that have won the SB with average to even below average QB play? Guys like Theissman, McMahon, Dog Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer. Good once in a while...average for the most part....at times below that.

Most of those guys only won a SB because they had a dominant defense. None of those teams sold off their defense and tanked.
To assume we'll find one magically in the next 2 years is tomfoolery.
You keep using the word magic...but no one is proposing magic. You can fill needs without top 3 picks. It has happened before.

All I'm saying is tanking and selling off the players that actually can play isn't a feasible strategy....and I'm asking for evidence that it's ever worked before? Can you provide any?

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually talking about the year where he played in the Pro Bowl because he was subbed for Jared Goff...the guy that went to the SB.

And he was subbed because Brees and Rodgers also didn't want to play and Prescott and Wilson were replacing them....so there wasn't really anyone left.

Mitch had 3200 yards that season.....overall very average numbers. But don't let facts and logic get in your way.

Yes that's Trubisky's pro bowl year and the best year he's ever had as a Bear. So where do we find one of those? In the draft? And how long would it take to develop that QB? And if that QB doesn't work out like it hasn't been working out the last 35 years we lose everyone of value with nothing in return. Or are you talking about Foles?

The only thing that year proves is that a great defense can carry an average, at best, offense.

This is NOT a great defense. The great defenses in the past carry offenses. This defense isn't even the best in the league. This is a good defense but not a defense that can carry an offense. You're talking about defenses that are among the best in the history of the league. Give me a break with this shit.

Julius Peppers was 30 when he signed with the Bears in order to bring a pass rush and jumpstart the defense. That works. So just arbitrarily throwing out ages and saying this is why the defense will suck....doesn't add up. Maybe Mack and Hicks regress. Maybe they don't. Maybe you can use the draft picks you will have and free agency to replace them on the fly.

This isn't an argument for tanking. You're failing.

Julius Peppers is a freak of nature. If he's the bar 99% falls flat. No, the argument for tanking is, the chances of finding a competent QB in the next 2 years is smaller than: Finding a competent QB in the next 2 years with likely a new coaching staff, likely new upper management, new offensive line and hoping guys like Mack, Hicks and Fuller don't regress, oh and we will likely need to fill ARob's position too. That's a lot of IFs. Only idiots would take that gamble. So it makes sense why you support it.

Well genius....it's been a pretty important position in the SB era. So....not sure what you think this proves.

How about if we point out teams in the past few decades that have won the SB with average to even below average QB play? Guys like Theissman, McMahon, Dog Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer. Good once in a while...average for the most part....at times below that.

Most of those guys only won a SB because they had a dominant defense. None of those teams sold off their defense and tanked.

How far back in history are we going here? I don't know who Dog Williams is but Doug Williams is a hall of famer. McMahon, Dilfer and Johnson played with 3 of the best defenses in history. Please don't lump this defense we have here in that category. It's not even close. You should know better than that. You're so fucking old you should remember those defenses like it was yesterday.

You keep using the word magic...but no one is proposing magic. You can fill needs without top 3 picks. It has happened before.

Yes because i literally meant "magic" you ass clown. Just like i literally mean "trade everyone away now" even though the trade deadline has has passed. Can you try to think a little deeper?

It's not just the QB position we have to fill to be offensively competitive. See above grey pubes.

All I'm saying is tanking and selling off the players that actually can play isn't a feasible strategy....and I'm asking for evidence that it's ever worked before? Can you provide any?

I love how you say: Find me a team that has tanked and won the superbowl. But your reasoning for not tanking is because we were competitive with Trubisky a couple years ago. So i have to come up with a superbowl winner but all you have to do to justify your position is, just be competitive. Are you this dense?

All I'm saying is, the writing is on the wall. We're not going to find a QB in the next two years and fix the oline and find a new WR1, all this with new coaching, new system, new upper management. The window is closed. It's best for this organization to come to grips with that reality sooner than later. Why is this so hard to understand? Bunch of idiots on this board.