• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason needs

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, this is what the ideal offseason would be:

-Extend Honey Badger and Michael Floyd.

-Re-sign Rashad Johnson, Tony Jefferson, Josh Mauro, Darren Fells, DJ Swearinger, Mike Leach, Dwight Freeney (if he wants to play another year)

Let CJ2K go unless he takes a discount. Please please please don't re-sign Powers.

Draft all defense in rounds 1-3. Ideally we'd like to add one big physical corner, a solid DE and a capable pass rushing OLB or ILB.

Look for a QB in the 4th or 5th round as a project type guy to sit behind CP for a couple years.

Then with our leftover $ from all that try to sign an O-Lineman from free agency that is capable of starting to add some depth.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Honey Badger, and agree with extending him, but I wouldn't sign him to a long term of years.

Also agree with extending Floyd. Curious to see what kind of offer he might land on the market after next year if it goes that way. He looks elite at times, and then disappears for games. I'd bet a team would take a chance on him and overpay in hopes that he could be a legit #2 WR. He will be a $7 million cap hit next year so a restructure if extended would be nice.

If they draft a project QB, I hope Keim doesn't take that quite so literally...at least draft a dude that was good in college.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, we only have about $20 mil before any potential cuts. Some of that money also is needed for the draft pool. That includes DWash's $4.4 mil salary, which is in limbo at this point. And we only have a few dollars to roll over.

Extending Tyrann would probably cost us an average of $10 mil a season against the cap starting in 2017 & his minuscule 2016 cap would likely increase a little bit to compensate a large signing bonus.

Green = Resign
Blue = Resign only for the right price
Red = Don't resign

Jerraud Powers
UFA
Drew Stanton
UFA
Sean Weatherspoon
UFA
Jermaine Gresham
UFA
Ted Larsen
UFA
Rashad Johnson
UFA
Lyle Sendlein
UFA
Bobby Massie
UFA
Chris Johnson
UFA
Bradley Sowell
UFA
LaMarr Woodley
UFA
Mike Leach
UFA
Tony Jefferson
RFA
Jaron Brown
RFA
Drew Butler
RFA
Darren Fells
RFA
Josh Mauro
ERFA
Kenny Demens
RFA
Dwight Freeney
UFA
Ifeanyi Momah
ERFA
Kelvin Palmer
ERFA
Travis Harvey
ERFA
Red Bryant
UFA
Corey White
UFA
D.J. Swearinger
RFA
Obviously, many of our free agents are Restrictive Free Agents or Exclusive Rights Free Agents.

RFA means we can basically tender them a contract based on either a 1st round, 2nd round, or original draft pick status. Basically high to low in dollar value. Any team can still sign a tendered RFA for the draft pick value assigned, but the original team has a week to match. If we don't tender a contract, they become free agents.

ERFA means we only have tender them a league minimum contract & no one else can sign them if we do. These players are UDFA with 2 years of service.

The only FAs I would definitely bring back are Leach & Sowell. After the NFCCG, I am not high on Rashad if he is looking to get paid. Both him & Gresham I would only bring them back for the right price.

With us having little money, it's time to let Stanton go & roll with Barkley as the backup & a rookie as the third QB.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, we only have about $20 mil before any potential cuts. Some of that money also is needed for the draft pool. That includes DWash's $4.4 mil salary, which is in limbo at this point. And we only have a few dollars to roll over.

Extending Tyrann would probably cost us an average of $10 mil a season against the cap starting in 2017 & his minuscule 2016 cap would likely increase a little bit to compensate a large signing bonus.

Green = Resign
Red = Don't resign

Jerraud Powers
UFA
Drew Stanton
UFA
Sean Weatherspoon
UFA
Jermaine Gresham
UFA
Ted Larsen
UFA
Rashad Johnson
UFA
Lyle Sendlein
UFA
Bobby Massie
UFA
Chris Johnson
UFA
Bradley Sowell
UFA
LaMarr Woodley
UFA
Mike Leach
UFA
Tony Jefferson
RFA
Jaron Brown
RFA
Drew Butler
RFA
Darren Fells
RFA
Josh Mauro
ERFA
Kenny Demens
RFA
Dwight Freeney
UFA
Ifeanyi Momah
ERFA
Kelvin Palmer
ERFA
Travis Harvey
ERFA
Red Bryant
UFA
Corey White
UFA
D.J. Swearinger
RFA
Obviously, many of our free agents are Restrictive Free Agents or Exclusive Rights Free Agents.

RFA means we can basically tender them a contract based on either a 1st round, 2nd round, or original draft pick status. Basically high to low in dollar value. Any team can still sign a tendered RFA for the draft pick value assigned, but the original team has a week to match. If we don't tender a contract, they become free agents.

ERFA means we only have tender them a league minimum contract & no one else can sign them if we do. These players are UDFA with 2 years of service.

The only FAs I would definitely bring back are Leach & Sowell. After the NFCCG, I am not high on Rashad if he is looking to get paid. Both him & Gresham I would only bring them back for the right price.

With us having little money, it's time to let Stanton go & roll with Barkley as the backup & a rookie as the third QB.

I have a feeling Honey Badger will get extended, but our FO is smart. They'll make a lot of his contract based off incentives with # of games/snaps played likely being a part in that along with individuals awards/accolades with bonuses included.

I could see it looking like 5 years/55 million with $30 million guaranteed, that way Badger makes the headline as one of the top paid safeties and stays happy and we aren't completely on the hook for him if his injuries issues continue.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Honey Badger will get extended, but our FO is smart. They'll make a lot of his contract based off incentives with # of games/snaps played likely being a part in that along with individuals awards/accolades with bonuses included.

I could see it looking like 5 years/55 million with $30 million guaranteed, that way Badger makes the headline as one of the top paid safeties and stays happy and we aren't completely on the hook for him if his injuries issues continue.
I think Mathieu would be OK with a contract like that. I'd even say they could l put incentives in there to pay him even more if he hits certain goals. It would be worth it if he had a monster season and stayed healthy the whole time.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Green = Resign
Red = Don't resign

Jerraud Powers
UFA
Drew Stanton
UFA
Sean Weatherspoon
UFA
Jermaine Gresham
UFA
Ted Larsen
UFA
Rashad Johnson
UFA
Lyle Sendlein
UFA
Bobby Massie
UFA
Chris Johnson
UFA
Bradley Sowell
UFA
LaMarr Woodley
UFA
Mike Leach
UFA
Tony Jefferson
RFA
Jaron Brown
RFA
Drew Butler
RFA
Darren Fells
RFA
Josh Mauro
ERFA
Kenny Demens
RFA
Dwight Freeney
UFA
Ifeanyi Momah
ERFA
Kelvin Palmer
ERFA
Travis Harvey
ERFA
Red Bryant
UFA
Corey White
UFA
D.J. Swearinger
RFA

Why should the team not sign Massie?

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should the team not sign Massie?

Because he is an average RT & the Cards just drafted their RT of the future in the 1st rnd of the 2015 draft. Plus, someone is likely to overpay for him. And the Cardinals are likely to recoup his value(4th round) via a compensation pick.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he is an average RT & the Cards just drafted their RT of the future in the 1st rnd of the 2015 draft. Plus, someone is likely to overpay for him. And the Cardinals are likely to recoup his value(4th round) via a compensation pick.
Fair enough. Do the Cards employ a ZBS for their OL?

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have to disagree here. Massie has improved each year he has been here. I would only offer him a reasonable contract, but I'd definitely try to work something out with him.

The idea of parting with him because we have DJ Humphries waiting in the wings I can't take seriously. Humphries has bust written all over him. A first round pick should be starting or getting some serious playing time, but this clown never saw the light of day because he's mentally weak, lacked inspiration, and performed way below expectation in practices. He had a huge opportunity to start and got relegated to nothingness instead. He's a reason we need to sign Massie.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to disagree here. Massie has improved each year he has been here. I would only offer him a reasonable contract, but I'd definitely try to work something out with him.

The idea of parting with him because we have DJ Humphries waiting in the wings I can't take seriously. Humphries has bust written all over him. A first round pick should be starting or getting some serious playing time, but this clown never saw the light of day because he's mentally weak, lacked inspiration, and performed way below expectation in practices. He had a huge opportunity to start and got relegated to nothingness instead. He's a reason we need to sign Massie.

Did you not notice that most of the pressure came off the right side of the OL this season? Massie has consistently been ranked in the 50ish range for tackles the last 2 seasons. Humphries was a young raw talent when they drafted him. He is athletic, but was only 21 & needed time to develop. That is the reason he dropped to the Cards in the draft. When they drafted him, the plan was for him to redshirt 2015 & be the starting RT in 2016.

And don't forget how bad Massie played his first 2 years in the NFL. He was the starter his rookie year but played so poorly that Arians/Keim brought in old man Winston to play RT in 2013.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not notice that most of the pressure came off the right side of the OL this season? Massie has consistently been ranked in the 50ish range for tackles the last 2 seasons. Humphries was a young raw talent when they drafted him. He is athletic, but was only 21 & needed time to develop. That is the reason he dropped to the Cards in the draft. When they drafted him, the plan was for him to redshirt 2015 & be the starting RT in 2016.

And don't forget how bad Massie played his first 2 years in the NFL. He was the starter his rookie year but played so poorly that Arians/Keim brought in old man Winston to play RT in 2013.

Well, their plan certainly modified when injuries struck and there was a chance for Humphries to start the season on the line. Instead of stepping up, he showed himself to be immature, lacking motivation, and performed poorly. I really don't think they planned to have him never see the field...it's not college...you don't draft a first round pick and plan for him not to play (unless it's a QB a la Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings...).

Fair point on Massie. He was terrible his first year. But he also showed some professionalism and the qualities needed to improve as an NFL player and has. Humphries sounded like he'd be more expected to be partying with Manziel than going over game tape.

I really hope you're right, but I'd be willing to make a bet that Humphries has little to no impact next year.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, their plan certainly modified when injuries struck and there was a chance for Humphries to start the season on the line. Instead of stepping up, he showed himself to be immature, lacking motivation, and performed poorly. I really don't think they planned to have him never see the field...it's not college...you don't draft a first round pick and plan for him not to play (unless it's a QB a la Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings...).

Fair point on Massie. He was terrible his first year. But he also showed some professionalism and the qualities needed to improve as an NFL player and has. Humphries sounded like he'd be more expected to be partying with Manziel than going over game tape.

I really hope you're right, but I'd be willing to make a bet that Humphries has little to no impact next year.

Injuries aren't the reason they needed Humphries to step in earlier than planned, Massie's DUI suspension was the reason. Even if Humphries isn't ready to be a good RT next season, we still have Warford, who played reasonably well in Massie's absence.

I just think Massie isn't good enough to pay $3+ mil a year when we have young viable options who have the potential to possibly be better than him once they get playing time.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries aren't the reason they needed Humphries to step in earlier than planned, Massie's DUI suspension was the reason. Even if Humphries isn't ready to be a good RT next season, we still have Warford, who played reasonably well in Massie's absence.

I just think Massie isn't good enough to pay $3+ mil a year when we have young viable options who have the potential to possibly be better than him once they get playing time.

Agree to disagree. I have seen or heard nothing suggesting Humphries is anywhere a viable option for next season. My bad on saying it was injuries...the DUI suspension was one issue...but doesn't take away from the point that a first round draft pick was given a golden opportunity to start and instead found himself being outshined by retreads like Bradley Sowell.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with the combine approaching and cuts happening who do you guys think the team should be targeting in free agency?

Long and Laurinaitis from the Rams are interesting if the price is right. Also, Trumaine Johnson is a FA and if they could land him he might be just what the Cards need to shut down the side opposite of PP.

Hicks from NE is also worth taking a look at for the D- line.

Any other free agents or salary cap victims on the radar for you gents?

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with the combine approaching and cuts happening who do you guys think the team should be targeting in free agency?

Long and Laurinaitis from the Rams are interesting if the price is right. Also, Trumaine Johnson is a FA and if they could land him he might be just what the Cards need to shut down the side opposite of PP.

Hicks from NE is also worth taking a look at for the D- line.

Any other free agents or salary cap victims on the radar for you gents?

Long does not fit the team. He is strictly a 4-3 DE. JL could be a fit as a rotational 2 down ILB, if the price is right. The Rams will not let Johnson go. The Rams freed up a bunch of money & have more than enough to sign both Jenkins & Johnson.

There still will be a lot of upcoming veteran cuts in the lead up to the start of the new league year.

Center
Alex Mack(Cle) - Likely way too expensive.
Stefen Wisniewski(Jax) - A solid, unspectacular, still young center. Cost would be medium.
Max unger(NO) - Could be a cap casualty.

Cornerback
Prince Amukamara(NYG) - A solid cover guy who is a local guy. May be too expensive.
Casey Hayward(GB) - Unheralded CB. A good slot CB. Would be perfect to replace Powers with at a decent price.
Jerraud Powers - For the right price, I would bring him back. He is very good in the slot. When the secondary was healthy & everyone playing in the right positions, powers played well.

Everywhere else, I expect them to fill from the draft. This includes an edge rusher & D-linemen.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long does not fit the team. He is strictly a 4-3 DE. JL could be a fit as a rotational 2 down ILB, if the price is right. The Rams will not let Johnson go. The Rams freed up a bunch of money & have more than enough to sign both Jenkins & Johnson.

There still will be a lot of upcoming veteran cuts in the lead up to the start of the new league year.

Center
Stefen Wisniewski(Jax) - A solid, unspectacular, still young center. Cost would be medium.

Cornerback
Prince Amukamara(NYG) - A solid cover guy who is a local guy. May be too expensive.
Casey Hayward(GB) - Unheralded CB. A good slot CB. Would be perfect to replace Powers with at a decent price.
Jerraud Powers - For the right price, I would bring him back. He is very good in the slot. When the secondary was healthy & everyone playing in the right positions, powers played well.

Everywhere else, I expect them to fill from the draft. This includes an edge rusher & D-linemen.

I like the options at Center.

Would love to have Prince, but the money is better spent elsewhere. This is a great team with some pretty specific needs and not a ton of (relative) cap space. I would love to see Mario Williams here if the Bills cut him. We need a monster that piles up sacks all year long. Tired of watching the Cards have to get creative to manufacture real pressure all year because they didn't have the horses to do it (minus Freeney when he was inserted into the mix).

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Center

Cornerback

As far as Long goes he MIGHT be able to to OLB, just thinking the coaches on D are really good at squeezing a good year out of players most consider done. Still I fully expect the team to get a pass russher in the first couple rounds as you can't rely on wily vet catching fire for one last year every season, eventually you need a draft pick to bring it and start for 5-10 years.

As for centers, Hall would be the dream, but as you said probably too expensive. I love Unger as an Oregon fan, I'd just be a bit wary of his injury record, especially with the defenses he'd have to face in the NFC West. Unsure in Wisniewski never really paid attention to Jax.

Pretty much with you for CBs Prince would be sweet if they can afford him, but really any solid cover CB would work. I love Bethel but he got seriously exposed when he was forced to be a straight cover CB.

I also think they need to keep Rashad around for a couple more years and grab his replacement in the draft. I know he's not the greatest, but he is great at setting up the D pre-snap and that ability doesn't just come overnight.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Long goes he MIGHT be able to to OLB, just thinking the coaches on D are really good at squeezing a good year out of players most consider done. Still I fully expect the team to get a pass russher in the first couple rounds as you can't rely on wily vet catching fire for one last year every season, eventually you need a draft pick to bring it and start for 5-10 years.

As for centers, Hall would be the dream, but as you said probably too expensive. I love Unger as an Oregon fan, I'd just be a bit wary of his injury record, especially with the defenses he'd have to face in the NFC West. Unsure in Wisniewski never really paid attention to Jax.

Pretty much with you for CBs Prince would be sweet if they can afford him, but really any solid cover CB would work. I love Bethel but he got seriously exposed when he was forced to be a straight cover CB.

I also think they need to keep Rashad around for a couple more years and grab his replacement in the draft. I know he's not the greatest, but he is great at setting up the D pre-snap and that ability doesn't just come overnight.

I agree on Rashad. I'm a little more optimistic about Bethel. I remember the game where he was exposed and beaten bad on just about every pass that came his way, but thought he bounced back nicely after that. In the Packers game they targeted (rightfully so at the time) like 15 times and he smothered his guy just about every time. The only pass they completed on him worth talking about was the bomb to Cobb and even then Bethel was all over him (just a perfect throw/catch)