• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official VT Coaching Search Thread

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente is out. Buyout money has been allocated. Only thing still in the air is if he's going to negotiate a lower buyout to get himself out in the market asap or if we wait until his buyout drops $2.5m on Dec 16th.

So here's the short list.

Shane Beamer
Todd Grantham
Luke Fickell
Hugh Freeze

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente is out. Buyout money has been allocated. Only thing still in the air is if he's going to negotiate a lower buyout to get himself out in the market asap or if we wait until his buyout drops $2.5m on Dec 16th.

So here's the short list.

Shane Beamer
Todd Grantham
Luke Fickell
Hugh Freeze

smart money would be on Shane at this point I believe

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smart money would be on Shane at this point I believe
For me, it's Shane or bust. Whit better be on the phone with him making sure he doesn't take the South Carolina job before we get a chance to move.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it's Shane or bust. Whit better be on the phone with him making sure he doesn't take the South Carolina job before we get a chance to move.

I have some reservations about Shane, but I'm good with it at this point if it's him. He just needs to put a good staff together....that's what would make him or break him.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about Shane other than being the son of Frank, but he has never been a head coach, correct? He has never been a coordinator, correct?

Other than being the son of the HoF, what does he bring at the moment? Genuine question.

Edit: Just looked up, he is apparently the Assistant Head Coach at Oklahoma. What can you attribute to his direct success in that position though?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course my team is in a similar world as well and even though I don't expect Frost to be fired for at minimum of another 2 years, I am still thinking about who is out there. Personally, I just want a proven coach. Look what Schiano did at Rutgers in one off season, the dude can coach. I know his history with Rutgers, but he didn't have any history with those players, he came in and took control. I am not saying to go after Schiano, I am just saying someone like that would be nice.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a chance on Hugh Freeze maybe he's changed

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about Shane other than being the son of Frank, but he has never been a head coach, correct? He has never been a coordinator, correct?

Other than being the son of the HoF, what does he bring at the moment? Genuine question.

Edit: Just looked up, he is apparently the Assistant Head Coach at Oklahoma. What can you attribute to his direct success in that position though?
Yea, he's been associated HC. Great recruiter. Studied under a lot of great minds. Would bring immediate influence back into Virginia high schools that Fuente has all but abandoned.

The idea would be for him to be more of the Dabo/Mack Brown @ UNC mold. Bring him in, get Torrian Gray from UF as DC. Bring in a great Xs&Os guy for OC. Lock up Virginia and North Carolina in recruiting.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, he's been associated HC. Great recruiter. Studied under a lot of great minds. Would bring immediate influence back into Virginia high schools that Fuente has all but abandoned.

The idea would be for him to be more of the Dabo/Mack Brown @ UNC mold. Bring him in, get Torrian Gray from UF as DC. Bring in a great Xs&Os guy for OC. Lock up Virginia and North Carolina in recruiting.
Schools like Alabama, Georgia & Clemson will most likely still get their choices of the top few recruits coming out of Virginia each year, although those schools rarely take more than one or two players each from the Old Dominion. Georgia & Clemson can probably do the same in the Tar Heel state, but Bama rarely ventures there.

After those three teams, it's probably a toss-up between Virginia, North Carolina & Virginia Tech for the remainder of the talent in those two states, with Penn St. sometimes playing a factor in Virginia recruiting, as well.

It would take a few years for a newly-established head coach to lock down the state of Virginia, much less North Carolina; but if someone like Baby Beamer could get off to a good start, he could at least establish a solid pipeline.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s Shane or bust. Here’s what sucks because there’s such huge money in college football. Even if VT did find the right coach, they’ll get poached with any kind of success and we’ll be back to square one. VT never had to worry about Frank leaving, he was a hometown guy and walked on water. Shane is the only hope to bringing back the success his father had. He’s a great recruiter and that’s the first step. VT used to thrive on keeping most of the in state blue chips from the 757.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll never happen but I want Tony Elliot

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools like Alabama, Georgia & Clemson will most likely still get their choices of the top few recruits coming out of Virginia each year, although those schools rarely take more than one or two players each from the Old Dominion. Georgia & Clemson can probably do the same in the Tar Heel state, but Bama rarely ventures there.

After those three teams, it's probably a toss-up between Virginia, North Carolina & Virginia Tech for the remainder of the talent in those two states, with Penn St. sometimes playing a factor in Virginia recruiting, as well.

It would take a few years for a newly-established head coach to lock down the state of Virginia, much less North Carolina; but if someone like Baby Beamer could get off to a good start, he could at least establish a solid pipeline.
Of the Virginia schools, I still believe that VT still recruits better here in the state, at least compared to us. Bronco is too worried about missing out on 3 star recruits instead of trying for the 4 and 5's. VT still has that football reputation from the Beamer era, which some kids still might think highly of. But do think you're right that the top schools like Clemson, Alabama, etc... will usually take the top tier guys from the state and probably will for the time being.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the OP saying that Fuente is surely out? As far as coaching search goes, I say we need someone that has been a head coach. Fickell maybe. Go after a decent coordinator from another school if a head coach isn't available. I am not sure. I am at a loss honestly.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the OP saying that Fuente is surely out? As far as coaching search goes, I say we need someone that has been a head coach. Fickell maybe. Go after a decent coordinator from another school if a head coach isn't available. I am not sure. I am at a loss honestly.
Yea - All reports that I'm hearing is its a done deal. Just a matter of timing at this point.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most of the insiders on VT boards say the admin has the cash for the buyout and he'll be gone. Like OP said, it has to be after the 16th because it saves 2.5 mil on the buyout

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome to Blacksburg, Will Muschamp!