• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Post-Draft Commentary Thread

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysis of Own Team:

- With two good, but not incredible keepers, I was kept out of the elite QBs by drafting 7th and having the top 4 QBs go right off the board. Have two workhorse RBs then a considerable dropoff. WR should be the strength of my team after struggling with depth at that position for the last few years. I figure UNC will be throwing a lot so I took both guys who are expected to be competing for the most catches. At QB, I really like Charlie Brewer and think he can be a QB1. He’ll likely start each week for me. Probably will be switching around second QB. Took a few guys in QB battles late who are dual threat guys in Ramsey, Newman and McKay. Wanted to load up on players on teams that run the most plays (Cuse and Wake) in Power 5. Not my strongest team preseason and perhaps limited upside so need to use waivers early and start right players.

Favorite Picks of Own Team:

- Round 3 – Charlie Brewer – Considered taking in Round 2 but figured could wait till round 3. Baylor has a nice OOC schedule and their QBs put up underrated #s last year. He should provide something like 400-500 and 8 on the ground while passing for decent numbers. I think he’ll outscore the other QBs taken in Round 3.

- Round 18 – Britain Covey – Sounds like he was injured a lot last year and is rounding into form to be ready for the season. Could see him being a catch monster. Had 60 last year, if he is fully healthy maybe 75 or so with Huntley is out there all year.

Least Favorite Picks of Own Team

- Round 6 – Elijah Sindelar – I don’t hate the pick but I almost always go with dual threat QBs. Just took him over Franks due to schedule. Concerned he will get injured again.

- Round 8 – Jamie Newman – This was just a value pick. I think he usually is going earlier in other drafts. I picked him last year then dropped him early in the season. I am not super-confident he starts the whole year.

Favorite of Other Team Picks (My list last year was Jaylen Smith, Juwan Johnson, Greg Bell, Jonathan Nance, and Soso Jamabo – Yikes!)

- Round 2 – End Zone Divas – Jalen Reagor – QB play can’t be worse than last year and he put up very respectable numbers. I was surprised to see him there when I picked in round 2 but went with Spielman who was somebody I was very high on.

- Round 4 – Dawgfathers – Denzel Mims – I like Brewer so I also like Mims. Think he will put it all together as Baylors #1 WR for a 75-1100-10 type of season.

- Round 5 – Waxy Frogs – Ryan Willis – I was surprised that he went here – thought I could get him in this round but he went right before me. Underrated runner and plays a very easy schedule. Not a spectacular pick but smart play.

- Round 9 – Heisman Hopefuls – Quentin Harris – The Duke QB position almost always puts up decent numbers. Harris is mobile. Will have to avoid a few teams on the schedule like Alabama, Notre Dame and Miami but can start him in plenty of the others when the Wazzu/Okie State situations blow up.

- Round 10 – End Zone Divas – Justin Jefferson – Really good value if LSU is going to up the tempo a bit. Don’t understand why he was around at this point. I didn’t want Burrow and Jefferson myself.

Others Receiving Votes: Round 11 – Orgy of Evil – Chris Brown; Round 13 – California Raisins – Brian Lewerke; Round 20 – Smurf Turfers – Garrett Wilson; Round 4 – Smurf Turfers – Keaontay Ingram; Round 7 – Asian Alley Cats - Isaiah Hodgins.

Least Favorite Picks of Other Teams: (Picks last year were Adrian Martinez, Nick Westbrook, Tre Bryant, Trevor Lawrence, and James Williams – Not great)

- Round 2 – California Raisins – Alan Bowman – For me he is a 5th or 6th round pick. Matt Wells offense was only great the last year. He’s not going to run things like Kingsbury did. Bowman doesn’t run at all. I think his numbers will be similar to JT Daniels and Elijah Sindelar as guys who throw for close to 300 per game but don’t run at all.

- Round 2 –Winsley Warriors – Amon Ra St Brown – A bit early for me. Two other good proven WRs on team. Understand though that he wasn’t going to get back around to Pick 3-11.

- Round 3 – Waxy Frogs – Raheem Blackshear - Just don’t get this one. Running back who splits carries with a couple other guys in the worst offense in Power 5 over the last three years. Feels about 10 rounds too early.

- Round 7 – Dawgfathers – Jacob Eason – I don’t think Washington will throw enough. Considering Eason has no running value, the upside is limited here and Eason doesn’t seem like a guy I’d want to start except in spots like vs Oregon State.

- Round 11 – End Zone Divas – Jake Fromm – I had Fromm on my list last year. I can’t see this working out. With even less experienced help at WR, how does he have a big fantasy year. His stats were good last season but over 14 games the points per game are really not something you want from a starter and its hard to know when to play him. Already has Swift on team.

- Others Receiving Votes: Round 1 – End Zone Divas – DeAndre Swift; Round 7 – Orgy of Evil – Charleston Rambo; Round 11 – Heisman Hopefuls – Dru Brown; Round 11 – Waxy Frogs – Colby Parkinson; Round 17 – Skeet Shooters – Bo Nix

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysis of Other Teams:

- Asian Alley Cats – Must be the presumptive favorite every year at this point especially coming back with terrific keepers. Wasn’t put in a great position in first round but made best of it with the top WR on the board at that time. Probably will toggle back and forth with Purdy and Daniels starting at QB2. Emery could work way into starting lineup easily. Interesting group of P12 WRs - - a couple will probably break through. Will be interesting if Surratt does become the recipient of Dortch’s numbers that are gone. Sort of has one terrific player at each position then a few guys who can be the second best at each spot.

- Heisman Hopefuls – Sort of the same old thing here. Have to respect a guy who has finished towards the bottom of the standing for most of the last 15 years but sticks to his guns. I actually really like Spencer Sanders and think he has potential to put up elite numbers in this offense. Depth at QB could be an issue. If Okie State QBs split time say, it might be waiver wire starters from week to week once again. Good top 3 RBs who are all the feature guys in those offenses. I like Rose although didn’t realize he’d go quite that early. At WR, totally unproven guys. Who knows if Jackson, Simmons, Pettway, Washington will be the guys on those teams. Last year this strategy did least to one elite WR – maybe it will again. But hard to know who to start at WR early in the year. Great kicker.

- Orgy of Evil – Right off the bat two elite QBs. Interesting pick with Hurts at first overall over Martinez. I like some of the depth at RB which is good because McFarland and Pooka are a bit risky. The top two WRs should be excellent then there are some upside guys that have proven very little like Rambo, Robinson, Moore, Fehoko, Kelly. Sort of a mini-Q strategy at WR there. When Lawrence and Hurts both play, should start with 50 points right there.

- Drunk Jocks – QBs are a bit like my own (although I drafted many more) with Book having limited upside but dual threat ability and DeVito throwing a lot but not running. Not sure what to expect from Clifford. Ibrahim has potential to work out if the older guys don’t play much at Minnesota. I like the risk in Person pick. Good group of WRs. I would not be surprised if the top 5 were all the most productive WRs on their teams.

- Skeet Shooters – Good to see this team drafting more QBs now. Was put in a good position with Martinez at 2 and stole Franks in the late 6th round. Johnson and Gatewood provide nice depth at that position. I’m not quite as high on Borghi as others. Could see RB being an issue here as we don’t’ know for sure that Sermon, Charbonnet, Hall, Chandler, Malepeai are the top backs on those teams. Shenault is excellent start at WR but I do wonder if people expect too much from him with a new coaching staff. Fun pick in 18th round with Demetris Robertson. I like QB, WR here – just a matter of RB depth for me. Also have the potential for a lineup submission missed or something here.

- End Zone Divas – A few likes here and a few dislikes. Don’t love Swift – his 4 carries for 12 yards against MTSU type teams bothers me. Hard to know when to start him. I think Tate will have a bounce back season. Reagor, Patmon and Jefferson are sure things. Some interesting young running backs. Interesting to break the seal on kickers with the unproven Oklahoma kicker.

- Smurf Turfers – I find this team interesting. Love the running backs. Rountree is set up for a huge year. Hubbard was probably the best pick in that spot in the first round. Scott was great value based on his production last year. Even Fuller should be Purdue’s running back with an immobile QB maybe some TDs there. QBs will be tricky because Mond, Bentley, Corral all play brutal schedules. Do you start Mond, Bentley vs Clemson, Bama, UGA. Sometimes those guys play catchup and put up big numbers but hard to win consistent going up against those teams when opponent QB is playing Okie State. One thing that would concern me is that team is very SEC-heavy and the SEC is easily the lowest scoring conference of the Power 5.

- Waxy Frogs – I like the QB combo of Perkins-Willis. Willis is a sneaky good #2 QB. I have no idea what the strategy is of taking the running backs on 3 of the worst 4 Power 5 teams. RB Depth is a concern for me. Moore is obviously a cant miss stud as long as he’s healthy. Unproven WRs after that. Bradford may end up getting some starts.

- Dawgfathers – QB Depth is a problem to me. I don’t know if I’d want to start Eason and DTR a whole lot. Montez should be fine with the way he plays. I’m not sold on Kylin Hill myself – I am concerned QB’s will still run in TDs. Najee Harris is the key here because Sargent, Jackson, Lingard, and Edwards-Helaire are all likely to split time. I do like the WRs a lot. People love Knox and I already said I’m high on Mims. Collin Johnson has very little downside. Even Fuller could get back to his early season production perhaps – at least he’s shown he can do it.

- Winsley’s Warriors – Let’s take a moment to appreciate that Winsley bounced back after a truly disgraceful draft in 2018. The guy took Stephen Carr, Ty Chandler, Nick Westbrook in the first few rounds. This season it was much different. Similar to Smurf, he is very SEC-heavy but a productive three RBs next two an interesting combo of Fields-Bryant. Fields is boom or bust so that will be huge. While I didn’t love St Brown pick, he should be a good #2 next to Tyler Johnson. A few good upside RB picks late.

- California Raisins – While I like Huntley more than some, I really don’t like the QBs. Moss should be very good, but does Utah score enough for two of your best three players to be on the field for them. They will win some 23-14 type games probably. Good at the top at WR. Still drafted some five-star PS1 guys so it is good to see that some things never change as we all get older.

2019 Bovada Soul 12 Championship Odds

***Sort of boring odds this year out of Vegas. Asian Alley Cats get the New England Patriot treatment but the oddsmakers see the league as balanced as ever. Last year there were a couple of teams clearly behind the rest as longshots but they don’t see that this year. Both Heisman Hopefuls and Skeet Shooters have tremendous upside on the roster but considers about temperament and roster management concern the betting public. The Dawgfather organization has had several owners this decade and that is keeping some bettors away while others also have concerns that Navin doesn’t update his roster***

3-1 Asian Alley Cats

9-1 Orgy of Evil

9-1 Heisman Hopefuls

10-1 Skeet Shooters

11-1 End Zone Divas

11-1 Smurf Turfers

12-1 Winsley’s Warriors

14-1 Drunk Jocks

14-1 Paper Tigers

14-1 Waxy Frogs

18-1 Dawgfathers

20-1 California Raisins

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good rundown @Paper Tigers . Appreciate and time you put into it... Gives us something to look forward to after the draft.

I will add my own when I free up some time. Busy tonight, so might be Wednesday.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best part of the draft! I agree with my RB situation. Borghi as my RB1 scares me. Was going back and forth between he and Najee Harris for keepers and I'll be tracking that all year long. I also have a feeling Laviska will be a slight disappointment this year. The team won't force it to him as much and there is better depth and coaching around him.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t argue much with my team. I did handcuff a few teams at wr, so either the team is hopeless or I somehow was incredibly off on who should get the ball.

It looks to me like a big part of my keys to success will be the QBs not sharing time, and the Akers/Jackson duo....which I was sure would get roasted in this write up.

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reference to Trish Jackson, that is what I meant by doing the same thing for 15 years and finishing in the cellar.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typing this up rather quickly so excuse the typos.

Picks I liked
Scottie Phillips- Schedule may not be the best, but the guy is going to carry the rock a TON and was very productive last year. I do worry about durability if they continue to give him the ball 25 plus times a game.

Stevie Scott- Really thought about taking him but I needed to focus on WR there knowing I wanted to grab Emery the next round. Great value. Not fancy, but he will touch the ball a lot and should score quite a bit.

Emeka Emezie- I think some may find it early, but I think Emezie breaks out in a big way if they have a QB who can get him the ball. Very impressed with this guy late last year. He showed me something. Reminded me sort of how Jakobi Meyers came on late in the year the year before.

KJ Costello- I think this guy could have a fantastic year passing and a bit rushing... I think Stanford passes more this year then years past.

Ta'Zhawn Henry- He was my #1 RB for a bit before he was finally picked. He dropped further then I expected.

Justin Jefferson- IMO, might be the best value pick in the draft. I am expecting a lot of catches and a lot of touchdowns. Quality, value here.

Deon Jackson- I know Duke will use two RB's but I expect they will run a lot this year and Brown doesn't ever stay healthy. Jackson showed me a lot last year when he took over. He is a big play guy, if he learn to run tougher and break tackles he could be in for a very good season.

Moe Neal- With Dungey gone and Devito not a runner, that means more touchdowns for Neal. Abdul Adams could dip into that a bit but round 14? Great value there.

KJ Osborn- Guy is just productive and Miami has a young WR core after he and Thomas. He will be depended upon to move the chains while the youngsters develop. I think he will be highly productive.

Picks I wasn't a fan of

Alan Bowman- Too early with the change in that offense. I think Bowman is a solid QB, but too early where he went.

Raheem Blackshear- In that offense I wouldn't have touch him until much later. I think Blackshear is a good running back, but that is a REALLY REALLY bad offense he is playing around. Historically bad.

Keaontay Ingram- I am not convinced he is going to end the year as the starter and Texas REALLY likes calling Ehinger in the red zone when it comes to running the ball.

Juwan Johnson- Had him myself one year and he drove me nuts. Never was what he was suppose to be. Then again, last year failed with a great opportunity. I keep reading how he is the Oregon #1 WR. I will believe it when I see it. Herbert may dump that ball off to about 5 or 6 different people this year.

Trishton Jackson- Too early for a guy I am not convinced is the #1 WR... I feel like dang near every year the guy we are told is the #1 WR for Cuse never ends up being the #1 WR... Taj Harris would have been the guy I went with at WR for Cuse this year. Q falls in love with the Cuse WR situation. He was upset when I took Devin Butler in the 3rd round last year before he could get him... Be my guest this year.. I learned the hard way last year on unproved Cuse WR's early in the draft. ;)

K.J. Hill- The real #1 WR for Ohio State went in round 24 this year.

Maurice Ffrench- I like Ffrench as a player, but it seems Pitt has lost their touch passing the ball and since Tyler Boyd has left Pitt has really failed to get good quality WR's in that offense the ball.

Jacob Eason- Too early. I think he would make a good bye week filler, but could have waited on him.

Pick of mine that I may have liked the least?

Probably, Jaylon Redd. I was at a point of the draft where I had a lot of WR's ranked similar and figured I would get a few of them in the next few rounds. Just didn't know the order I wanted to do it in. I like Redd, but looking back I think I could have gotten another WR I wanted and waited on Redd and still had a similar draft the rest of the way.

Pick I liked the most?
I liked where I got JT Daniels and Lamical Perine. As long as Florida doesn't get too many RB's involved which they really shouldn't. I don't expect him to blow up, but I feel I got him at a good spot where I didn't have to roll the dice. I needed another RB there and didn't have to reach for a riskier RB instead went with a pretty safe bet to be at least decent. I feel good about my top 4 RB's so I went the safe route at this stage.

Daniels didn't show as much as you would have liked to see him as a FR but I think he takes a big step forward this year and is in a really good situation for him to develop.

Draft Confessions- Player I tabbed but missed out on.

Emeka Emezie- Wasn't sure where he would go.

Dyami Brown- I was debating taking him over Jaylon Redd then getting Redd on the rebound. Dyami is no sure bet but I liked him when I followed recruiting and wanted to take the chance that he could pull out a good year fantasy wise. Not knowing what to expect fully. I didn't expect him to go quite where he went. I was afraid I was taking him too early where I nearly took him then decided to roll with him the next round. It was to late.

Wan'Dale Robinson- I was all set to take him with my next pick where I took Tre Turner, really expecting him to be there. Like Dyami not exactly sure what to expect but wanting to roll the dice on him with my next pick but fell short. Maybe I lucked out on both or maybe I missed the boat. Time will tell.

Dazz Newsome- When I missed out on Brown I figured I would just give Newsome a shot later. Liking Brown better. When I was set to finally take him on my next pick it was again too late.

Taj Harris- I thought I could wait on him.

I guess StevieB hacked into my soul 12 draft database.

Jayden Daniels- Went earlier then I expected. Wanted to wait a few rounds and then roll with him. I felt good about my top 3 QB's and thought I would roll the dice on him as my 4th. I should have known JB would grab him. ;)

I tend to not get most FR I tab because they go earlier then I want to take them.

At the end of the day though I like my draft, and had I gotten some of these guys above I wouldn't have gotten some of the guys I did draft that I wanted.

Can't have them all!

Thanks to everyone for a fine draft! Good luck on the season.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off top of head. No Boston College players selected. Wisconsin nearly had none selected until Danny Davis broke that in rd 23.

Obviously both teams do have a keeper.

omareasy34

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss drafting. Can you run a league that either consists of all of the teams that soul12 doesn't use or a defensive player soul12 league.

I nominate @The Q to run/score the league, thank you!

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liked
Anthony McFarland (I wanted him but figured I could wait a round)
Dezmon Patmon (Catch machine)
Kennedy McKoy (WV should run a lot)
Rashod Bateman (Picked him up late last year, he is going to be a good one)
Nico Collins (A lot of good WR's there but he seems to be the most dependable for Patterson)
Britain Covey (Letdown last year, but I think he will be more what I thought he would be this year when I drafted him last year)

Disliked
Kelly Bryant (Just never have cared for him as a QB)
Kennedy Brooks (Legal issues plus had him last year and never knew when to start him)
Lynn Bowden (I had him pegged much later)
Elijah Sindelar (Will he last the entire season?)
Sam Howell (Next year)

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raheem Blackshear getting the player haters ball treatment

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favorite picks of mine:

Quentin Harris- stevie already covered it.

Devin Duvernay- someone has to make up for Humphry's lost catches and yardage.

Emeka Emezie- NC just produced 2 1k WRs and Emezie seems like the clear top guy there.

Picks I was a fan of:

Ricky Slade- good value here. There's some talk of sharing, which hasn't been Penn St's forte before. I admit it scared me off, but in round 4 I can see taking a shot on the upside.

Isaiah Bowser- Northwestern usually produces a reallly good back. They don't like to share. To get him in round 4, after I heavily considered him at the 2/3 turn is a nice get.

Ricky Person - similar reasoning to Bowser. Biggest question with him is health since he hasn't been healthy since his junior year of HS.

Stevi Scott- Great value there. Another guy I thought about hard in round 3.

Michael Pittman- Tremendous talent. Health has held him back most of his career. But as good a bet as any to be the USC #1.

Tommy Stevens- like him more than his S12 teammate Kelly Bryant on the same roster. Tremendous value here IMO, especially considering he should already known the system. Can I hate him not taking the handcuff though?

Hassan Hall- if the new coach follows his trend, Hall is gonna get a lot of carries. Even if he shares, he's gonna get a lot of carries.

Hasis Dubois- someone has to catch all those passes from Perkins.

Moe Neal- without dungey stealing TDs he could be a good bet. Curious to see how much Adams being eligible affects him.

Connor Heyward- as good a bet as any to be the Mich ST bellcow. And they love to Bellcow.

Bennett Skowranek- him and Heyward were my top 2 guys this round and both went just a few picks in front of me. Really like his current situation, especially with the most talented QB in Northwestern history and first one that could throw a decent forward pass since...Kafka?

Anthony Williams/Zonovan Knight- lumping them together since they went B2B. Both are in good situations where they could easily become the bellcows in good systms as very young players. Good gambles for upside this late.

Tru Wilson- JH already named him the starter. To get the michigan RB this late is a good value. I'm curious how it goes, but just based on what we know now, it's a good pick.

Didn't like:

Raheem Blackshear- why? Just why?

Lynn Bowden- I'm not sure he was a top 10 WR left at the time.

Amon-Ra St. Brown: too early for a non elite WR.

Felip Franks- I'm surpised he went above his teammate at RB. I'm not sure how sustainable the rushing TDs are. If those go down, he's backup.

Elijah Moore- how many Rich Rod WRs are relevant?

Maurice Ffrench- A Pitt WR not named Boyd or Fitzgerald this early? Can the QB even throw past 10 yards?

Jacob Eason- doesn't run and probably won't throw enough to be this valuable.

Maurice Washington/Dedrick Mills- beyond Washington's legal troubles likely costing him at least one game, this has already been said will be a RBBC. And Nebraska's best rushing TD guy might be the QB.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amon-Ra St. Brown is gonna be a star, IMO.

my biggest concern is there's 2 other really good targets there.

When Pittman misses 2-3 games he could drop 400 yards there for sure.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maurice double F Ffrench gonna stick it to all yall

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted more pieces of Michigan offense and tried to slow play Tru and Nico. Got burned playing that game as usual. Didn't get to cuff some of my guys too.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Tru Wilson will be the starter longer there.. But you should see 3 play a lot.

Vaughns is ok. Very inconsistent. Pittman came on late last year. St. Brown missed some time due to an injury which if I remember seemed to be when Pittman got healthy and started doing his thing. St. Brown is the most talented, IMO. and will jump a lot from his FR to SOPH year and all 3 should have better QB play this year then last. Daniels and St. Brown are very familiar coming from the same HS so I think the connection will be strong there.

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Q writes "I heavily considered" in his most liked picks list, I just cringe that it is my player he is talking about.