• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Offseason of 2014 Thread

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Playoffs may still be happening, but our season is done; so let's discuss what the Hawks can do this offseason to improve. Let's go over our roster, starting with the starters. Here's my take on everyone:

• Jeff Teague - I am convinced that he is our PG of the future. He has improved every season, and is one of the main reasons the Hawks did as well as they did this postseason.
  • Kyle Korver - Should he be a starter? That is something I am unsure of. I question his ability to play defense. I see Kyle as more of a role-player; someone that comes off the bench.
  • Paul Millsap - I like Paul, but, let's be honest, he's so big of trade-bait that it's inevitable that we will trade him. The only problem is that he only has one year left on his contract. If we're going to trade this guy, it will probably be in the offseason.
  • DeMarre Carroll - I like his hustle, but I don't think he's starting material. He could make for good trade-bait too, or we could keep as a bench player for the future when we get a better SF. Like Millsap, he has one year left on his contract.
  • Al Horford - Duh, let's keep him. I'm sure we all saw the down-trend that has occurred when we don't have Horford (including 2012). Provided he can stay healthy and stop getting surgeries done on his pectorals, we should probably sign him to an extension.

Now, let's move on to the relevant bench players.

• Shelvin Mack - Maybe. He's a decent back-up to Teague. It all depends on how much he wants.
  • Lou Williams - I say keep him, but I think him and Millsap together could make for a juicy trade.
  • Mike Scott - Keep him. He's a very young, developing player. When we trade Millsap, if we don't get a stud PF in that trade, it may be worth seeing how much this guys develops.
  • Cartier Martin - I don't see a reason to re-sign him.
  • Pero Antic - We're stuck with this guy for one more season, so there's not much to say about him other than that I liked Zaza more than this guy.
  • Elton Brand - Take him or leave him; it doesn't matter much to me.

Now, let's talk about the guys who didn't play much this year at all:

• Dennis Schroeder - He had some ugly moments as an international rookie, but I still have hope this guy can pan out. He's twenty-years old; we gotta let him develop first before we know what he can really do.
  • John Jenkins - I'm disappointed he didn't play more. Boy, for a team that was anticipating missing the Playoffs, we sure didn't play our young guns a lot, did we? Like the other young guys, we need to play him more before we know what he can.
  • Gustavo Ayon - Probably should let him go.
  • Mike Muscala - Keep the rookie for a cheap contract.

What do you guys think we should do for the offseason? Simply develop the team by giving younger players more playing time? Go after studs by using our trade-baits? Or keep the current starting roster as is and see what this team can do with a healthy Horford and go from there to address our needs? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree in pretty much everything here. Horford and Teague are a must keep. Korver too because of the fan following and momentum he can give us in games

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're in for a very interesting offseason. The Hawks are at a cross-roads right now. God only knows what Ferry has planned. I guess it all starts with the draft. Maybe we'll trade up.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're in for a very interesting offseason. The Hawks are at a cross-roads right now. God only knows what Ferry has planned. I guess it all starts with the draft. Maybe we'll trade up.

still dunno wtf he was thinking in drafting Shroeder though man. It makes me :L thinking about it.

You think that Brazillian guy will be ready anytime soon next season?Our center we drafted?

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still dunno wtf he was thinking in drafting Shroeder though man. It makes me :L thinking about it.

You think that Brazillian guy will be ready anytime soon next season?Our center we drafted?

I think Schroeder has a lot of potential. He was a stud in Germany and he's twenty years old. He needs time to develop first before we can see what he's capable of. I believe he could be really good. I'll trust Ferry on this one.

Where was the Brazillian center at all season? D-league? I'm hoping we get to see him next year. I also have high hopes for him.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, I sure would like to have a star center so we could put Al at his natural position at SF (or is he naturally a PF?). I wonder what we would have to give the Kings to get Cousins. I know they're not a particularly well ran organization, so maybe we could screw them the way we screwed the Nets.

I know Cousins is kind of a head case, but it's more about getting someone to start at center so Al can dominate at his natural position.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Hawks are going to be trying to make some movies for this offseason. Their first move is clearing some cap space, starting with trading Lou Williams to the Raptors for SF (ESPN's article says he's a guard, but his profile says small forward) John Salmons

We will then waive Salmons and thus increase our cap space to $15.5 million. What I don't like here is that sources say we're also giving them Lucas Nogueira, the Brazilian big-man that we drafted last year.

I think Kyle Korver is going to become our sixth man this season if we trade Lou.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks sign Thabo Sefolosha to a three-year, twelve million dollar contract.

I don't quite understand this decision. We trade away Lou, obviously to clear cap space, and then sign this guy? The only logic I can see to this is for his defense, which I hear is quite good. If any Thunder fans reading this or my post in the general forum thread tell me how good his defense is exactly, that would be nice. However, even if he does still play great defense, I still don't see why we're signing a thirty-year-old guy. I'm both concerned and excited at the same time. Ferry might be planning on doing something big and this guy is just going to be apart of the bench.

I'm going to have faith in Ferry on this one.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've requested a waiver for John Salmons .

What this means is that we would pay $1 million to buyout his $7 million contract, leaving us about $11.5 million in cap space.

There is some buzz that we will be signing Luol Deng with some of this money. I hope we don't pay that guy too much. While I think a lineup of Teague, Jenkins (at least I hope he gets the starting nod over Sefolosha), Deng, Millsap, and Horford, with Kyle being the sixth man, makes for a solid team (and our bench might be really good this year too if we re-sign Shelvin Mack, which would be Korver, Sefolosha, Mack, Schroeder (who I am confident will develop nicely), and Carroll), I'm not confident that this lineup could defeat the now dangerous Cavaliers (especially if Kevin Love does end up playing for the Cavaliers like I'm hearing he's interested in doing) and Indiana (whom I'm sure we'll end up getting matched-up with in the Playoffs once more).

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our second signing of the offseason just happened less than an hour ago (as of this post). We have signed shooting guard Kent Bazemore.

While Bazemore averaged only six points, 1.4 assists, and 1.7 rebounds per game, after he was traded to the Lakers, he started average 13.1 points, 3.1 assists, and 3.3 rebounds per game over the last twenty-three games of the season while in Los Angeles. Much of this spike was because once he was traded to the Lakers, he got a whole lot more playing time. Regardless, he still had an impressive improvement in performance after getting traded. He will be entering this third year in the league.

We signed him to a two-year guaranteed $4 million deal. This means we still have $9.5 in cap-space.

I absolutely love this signing! It gives us strong depth at a position that we were weak in last year. Now, we have Jenkins coming back, Korver off the bench, Sefolosha, and Bazemore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be another Millsap like signing for us. If he continues to show improvement like he did with the Lakers he is easily worth more than his contract.

I wonder if we some how ended up with Gasol if Millsap would be on the trading block for a SG/SF.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we're not getting Deng. He just signed a two-year, $20 million deal with the Heat. That means we didn't have enough money to match Miami's offer, seeing as we have just below $10 in cap-space.

That might throw any chance of the Hawks being a dangerous team this season (as far as winning the East, I mean) out the window. I don't know of any other forwards on the market right now that are as good or better than Deng.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we're not getting Deng. He just signed a two-year, $20 million deal with the Heat. That means we didn't have enough money to match Miami's offer, seeing as we have just below $10 in cap-space.

That might throw any chance of the Hawks being a dangerous team this season (as far as winning the East, I mean) out the window. I don't know of any other forwards on the market right now that are as good or better than Deng.

The two big questions for the Hawks right now are,
1. What are we doing with Millsap?
Very attractive contract and a super talented player. Do we maximize that in a trade or do we look to re-sign him?

2. What are we doing with Jeff Teague?
Is he are PG going forward or when do they pass the torch to Schroeder?

I think we end up re-signed Mike Scott and likely trying to bring Brand back on a 1 year deal. I don't know past that though. I don't even know who we would target in a Millsap trade right now.

I also want to say I hate that we did not make a play for Jordan Hill or Spencer Hawes.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two big questions for the Hawks right now are,
1. What are we doing with Millsap?
Very attractive contract and a super talented player. Do we maximize that in a trade or do we look to re-sign him?

2. What are we doing with Jeff Teague?
Is he are PG going forward or when do they pass the torch to Schroeder?

I think we end up re-signed Mike Scott and likely trying to bring Brand back on a 1 year deal. I don't know past that though. I don't even know who we would target in a Millsap trade right now.

I also want to say I hate that we did not make a play for Jordan Hill or Spencer Hawes.

I think resigning Millsap would be a good idea, depending on how much he asks for.

I think Jeff Teague is someone we should stick with for the future. He's only been getting better.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our signings so far. Got a chance again to get past the first round

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this has been a boring offseason the past two weeks or so. The only piece of news is from five days ago. We signed our first-round pick, Adreian Payne, to a two-year, $3.79 million contract.

The Atlanta Hawks depth-chart shows him behind Millsap, so maybe he'll get some playtime instead of just being in the D-league like the Brazilian guy we had was. I want to see how good this guy is going to be, so I hope he gets plenty of time to play off the bench when Millsap is resting.

Of course, we might just re-sign Mike Scott, who is a restricted free-agent.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we won't be signing Gustavo Ayon, as shocking as that may seem *sarcasm*.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cartier Martin has signed with the Pistons. We have resigned Shelvin Mack.