• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, Bagley and MPJ were the OVERWHELMING consensus best high school players in the country, prior to going to college.

If MPJs back injury is not a major concern, there is a pretty compelling argument that he is the best player in the draft. Bagley is not the defensive liability that Okafor was and a lot of the metrics based analysis of this draft have him as the best player in the draft.

It's a roll of the dice between any of the top 4 players.

I'll admit I wasn't overly impressed with Bagley in college (just seemed to use his height advantage for put backs largely), but he was also playing with Carter, which put him into a specific role that may not be what he needs to do in the NBA. He's clearly a fantastic athlete with a nice touch, just didn't think Duke used him to his fullest.

These kids want to win, so they clump together on a few teams, but they would get the chance to showcase their all-around talent better if they each went to a different school. Maybe they'll figure that out one of these days (as guys like Diallo and Vanderbilt get squeezed in rotations and end up 2nd round picks).

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MPJ is riskier because of the back, but he has legit superstar upside. I agree that Doncic is probably the better pick, but there is a good chance Porter Jr. ends up being the better player.

Bagley at 2 would be a bad pick. I can't understand why he continues to rise. Jahlil Okafor 2.0
He probably has a higher potential, but it is a big risk especially at #2. A case can be made that the Kings need to take a risk in hopes of drafting a legit superstar, but without having a pick next season they can't afford to miss with this one. I've made the Okafor comparisons to Bagley before even though I think he's better, but I'm just not convinced he's worth taking at 2.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably has a higher potential, but it is a big risk especially at #2. A case can be made that the Kings need to take a risk in hopes of drafting a legit superstar, but without having a pick next season they can't afford to miss with this one. I've made the Okafor comparisons to Bagley before even though I think he's better, but I'm just not convinced he's worth taking at 2.

I don't get the Okafor comparisons. He isn't just some back to the basket type of player. Shot 40% from 3 on limited attempts at Duke. Made 23-58

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That cannot be true. Danny please call memphis

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That cannot be true. Danny please call memphis

Too late. Warriors already offered Kevon Looney and the 28th pick for the #4. I don't see how Memphis can pass that offer up.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA Trade Rumors: Grizzlies Gauging Interest in No. 4 Pick, Chandler Parsons

NBA Trade Rumors: Grizzlies Gauging Interest in No. 4 Pick, Chandler Parsons

The Memphis Grizzlies are reportedly willing to part with the No. 4 overall pick in a potential trade, but a package would have to include Chandler Parsons, according to Michael Scotto of The Athletic.

The team is currently gauging interest for a possible deal.

Parsons is owed $49.2 million over the next two seasons to complete the four-year deal he signed in 2016.

Although the 29-year-old had been a key contributor with the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks earlier in his career, he hasn't been as effective with the Grizzlies. Injuries have limited him to just 70 games over the past two seasons, and he is averaging just 7.1 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in this stretch.

This is clearly not a contract teams will rush to pick up, but the No. 4 pick certainly has plenty of value.

Even without knowing what will happen with the first three picks, the top of this draft features high-upside talent. Bleacher Report's Jonathan Wasserman lists Luka Doncic, Deandre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Marvin Bagley III as the top four prospects, while Mohamed Bamba could also be a star in the post.

While four of those five players are centers who might not mesh with Grizzlies star Marc Gasol, that alone shouldn't affect the team's strategy.

On the other hand, the team has a lot of needs after a 22-60 season and could potentially find a trade that fills more holes by dealing away the early draft pick. The squad's only other draft pick is No. 32 overall.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a hefty contract to take on

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought you would like this.

This is a classic Jerry West move.

You get 3 shots at drafting a future star or 2. You won't be an attractive free agent destination for at least 2 years anyway.

I say eat that contract, take the #4 pick and start looking toward 2021. That pick could very well end up being Luka.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you would like this.

This is a classic Jerry West move.

You get 3 shots at drafting a future star or 2. You won't be an attractive free agent destination for at least 2 years anyway.

I say eat that contract, take the #4 pick and start looking toward 2021. That pick could very well end up being Luka.
:nono:

Not Chan-cun.

I can't stand that Clown.

At least Deng is a pro.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that.

But you wouldn't swallow 2 years of Parsons for 9 years of Doncic?

Probably.

He could sit on the bench next to Gallo.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nuggets are aggressively seeking to shed salary by trading forward Kenneth Faried, and the Hawks are willing to accommodate them for the right price, according to a person with knowledge of the NBA trade market.

The Hawks would seek draft picks, young players or both as part of a deal with the Nuggets or any other team that wants to reduce payroll. The Nuggets own the No. 14 overall pick in next week’s draft, and their expendable young players include recent draft picks Malik Beasley and Tyler Lydon.

Hawks contemplate trades as NBA draft approaches

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who do people think is the biggest bust and/sleeper in this draft?

I'm not a fan of Lonnie Walker IV at all. Not a fan.

Guys I do like later are guys like Frazier, Evans, Jevon Carter and Justin Jackson.

Trevon Dural and Tony Carr are also rather interesting.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of Lonnie Walker IV at all. Not a fan.

Guys I do like later are guys like Frazier, Evans, Jevon Carter and Justin Jackson.

Trevon Dural and Tony Carr are also rather interesting.

Interesting. I've read quite a bit about Walker and he is definitely one of the guys I want the Sixers to look at. But it's all based on other people telling me about him as I've never watched him play.