• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Rookie Of The Year Odds

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his final college season, he had four 100 yard rushing games and 3 games with a YPC under 3.

Zeke Elliott had 1 game under 3 YPC and 1 game under 100 yards.

Gurley had 1 under 100 and 0 under 3.

I highly doubt the NYG are going to put him at KR, and that was a big part of what made him a dynamic college player. It's also not like he was some demon of a receiver at RB. He averaged 3.5 catches a game as a senior for 45 yards, and that was by far his most productive season catching the ball. There's definitely room for skepticism on just how elite he will be. That offense isn't going to do him any favors either.

Naah, he's the whole package, he's gonna be pretty phenomenal

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. I didn't say he was great in every game. I said even the games he was "shut down " in he still made huge impact plays

Barkley said that some of his worse stat games were some of his best games, because of his blitz pickups, etc

That alone makes me love the kid, whether that statement is true or not

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley said that some of his worse stat games were some of his best games, because of his blitz pickups, etc

Sounds kind of like a copout to me. Zeke was hitting 100+ basically every game while being the best pass blocking RB in decades.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's not a better PERSON tgat got drafted this year than Barkley. That's a huge part of the reason I love the kid. Someone as purely talented as him is rare but then you add in his work ethic and character and it's almost unbelievable

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds kind of like a copout to me. Zeke was hitting 100+ basically every game while being the best pass blocking RB in decades.

Sounds like a Penn State/Ohio State issue for you, your opinion is clouded by hate

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like that kinda attitude out of a player. Why aren't there more guys around like him? It's a team game and you can't put yourself before your team. Class act by Barkley there.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke also got way more carries and was nowhere near as big a part of the pass game. They're different backs and were used far different in college . Barkley had like 1 game in his career with over 25 carries. That was a frequent occurrence for Zeke. Both great backs but kind of apples and oranges

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a Penn State/Ohio State issue for you, your opinion is clouded by hate
I have no hate for PSU at all. I have a tremendous amount of respect.

This is just deflection on your part because I'm not exulting your first round pick as much as you want. He will be a good RB, but there's valid reason to think he's not going to be in the Gurley/Zeke/Bell tier, at least not yet.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke also got way more carries and was nowhere near as big a part of the pass game. They're different backs and were used far different in college . Barkley had like 1 game in his career with over 25 carries. That was a frequent occurrence for Zeke. Both great backs but kind of apples and oranges
Rushing - college career:
Zeke had 592 carries for 3,961 yards (6.7 ypc)
Barkley had 653 carries for 3,704 yards (5.7 ypc)

Clearly Zeke was the better runner, and PSU has had a very solid OL for the past few years. All in all, Zeke had 61 fewer carries but produced over 250 more yards. Also, over 3 years, Barkley only had 37 more catches, which comes to less than 1 more catch per game than Zeke, and Zeke is the best blocking RB in decades, so I'd say they were both equally vital to their respective passing games and weren't "used far different".

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no hate for PSU at all. I have a tremendous amount of respect.

This is just deflection on your part because I'm not exulting your first round pick as much as you want. He will be a good RB, but there's valid reason to think he's not going to be in the Gurley/Zeke/Bell tier, at least not yet.

Its always going to be easier to predict "He wont be one of the best 5 Running backs in football"

Im pretty confident he will be in their company as one of the elites

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Michel in that offense, but i agree, will lack the touches, while Barkley, if healthy, may touch the ball 35 times a game for the Giants

But Michel is gonna make some game changing plays for the Pats this season
For once we agree and I hope you're right.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its always going to be easier to predict "He wont be one of the best 5 Running backs in football"

Im pretty confident he will be in their company as one of the elites
I (accurately) predicted Zeke would become one of the top - arguably THE top - RBs in the NFL. He was the actual complete package. Barkley is an elite athlete who contributed in several different ways in college, but he wasn't an elite rusher.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For once we agree and I hope you're right.
That pick absolutely shocked me. If he's healthy it could make a lot of sense, but with their committee there, it's still a bit of a head-scratcher. Has anything else come out about this knee condition?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I (accurately) predicted Zeke would become one of the top - arguably THE top - RBs in the NFL. He was the actual complete package. Barkley is an elite athlete who contributed in several different ways in college, but he wasn't an elite rusher.

I loved Zeke coming out also, but he wasnt considered an elite pass catcher, while Barkley is

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved Zeke coming out also, but he wasnt considered an elite pass catcher, while Barkley is
Based on what? He had 95 catches in his 3 year college career. That is far from elite.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what? He had 95 catches in his 3 year college career. That is far from elite.

Based on whats been said about his skill set...I cant measure everything on stats, style of offense matters on every level, and in Shurmers offense, every RB he has gets massive targets, and everything i hear on Barkley is that he is so good as a pass catcher, that he will be lined up in the slot at times

I cant speak to how Penn State operated their offense, they had a very good QB, an NFL TE, an NFL WR........Maybe they just didnt run an offense that highlighted the RB as a pass catcher

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pick absolutely shocked me. If he's healthy it could make a lot of sense, but with their committee there, it's still a bit of a head-scratcher. Has anything else come out about this knee condition?
Shocked many of us. He replaces a void left by Lewis's departure. If all the RBs stay healthy it looks like Gillissle or Bolden will be elsewhere come the start of the season. I personally hope it's Bolden as he's pretty much a ST player solely and NE already has Slater and Ebner as primary special teamers.
The media spin I have seen is NE saying his knee issues aren't as bad as reported? I wonder if BB and co. feel they can get 4 years out of him before the knees finally go due to the reported bone on bone. If nothing else BB is always looking to the future so I could see that. Use him for 4-5 years and then find your next RB.