• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Line Troubles

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oline has struggled this year. As a group they haven't been bad, more like average, but certainly not up to the standards that group had established in previous years. The obvious answer to what's troubling the Cowboys along the OLine is Travis Frederick's absence. Is that the only problem though?

It's no secret that Connor Williams has struggled at times this year allowing a lot of pressure up the gut, especially against bigger and stronger DTs. But possibly an even bigger issue than that has been the play of La'el Collins - he has been below average, IMO. Several times a game the protection from the right side just collapses, disrupting the QB, blowing up runs in the backfield, or causing holding penalties and/or illegal hands to the face. L.Collins has been as guilty as anyone for the substandard play of the Oline so far. Is the answer to the problems with Williams and Collins to swap positions? I don't know, but I would like to see it tried next year... or hell even this year if the Cowboys fall completely out of it.

Is Collins worth keeping around after his contract expires? Or even beyond this year? His contract runs out after 2019, he has a $7.4m cap hit next year and a relatively small dead money hit on his contract of $1.4m if cut next year. I'm definitely leaning towards thinking the Cowboys should not re-sign Collins when the time comes. Hell, for the $6m that could be freed up by cutting him, I would possibly look into replacing him after this season, depending on who might be available -- it wouldn't take a Pro-Bowler to upgrade that position.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams will benefit from a offseason of getting stronger he is “weak” and gets bull rushed a lot. Collins has regressed but I blame most of that on coaching the Alexander hire was a blanking disaster. You need a Oline guru like Callahan but those guys are really rare and hard to find. Jerry screwed the pooch on that deal when he blocked Callahan from interviewing and then Callahan refused to resign with the Cowboys and took the Redskins job to stick it to Jerry.
Bottom line we need a complete new coaching staff all around that will get the country club atmosphere out of the building.
Hire the HC and let him bring in his guys and let’s see what happens it seems to have worked for Jimmy and Parcells not so much when Jerry has a finger in the pie

Jmho

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OL was much better at run blocking tonight and too be honest the backup that played tonight is a much better run blocker than Conner Williams. I say make Williams the swing tackle for the rest of the season and have him hit the weight room this off season or just swap out Williams and Collins next season. Putting Williams back out there at LG after he comes off the knee injury would be a major mistake.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I dont think the Line is as bad as advertised.
I mean a lot of sacks & QB hits are on Dak holding onto the ball forever. he did better tonight, but his pocket awareness is lacking.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero penalties on the Eagles last night LMAO
I don't remember seeing a flag thrown on the Eagles. The box score is showing zero penalties unless there was one where we did not accept. The Eagles were holding our DL lots. It does piss me off quite a bit that we get hosed every game for ticky tack BS and other teams seem to get away with stuff

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Sua-Filo in the mix, the offense has generally functioned much better. Was Connor Williams that bad? I didn't think so, but there has been significant difference in the results.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned our LT playing below his ability. He has been called for holding several times negating good gains.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned our LT playing below his ability. He has been called for holding several times negating good gains.

Haven't mentioned T.Smith in this thread, but have discussed him in others. I think his days as a consistently dominant LT are done. Some weeks he will still look like close to the same old T.Smith, but then others he looks sort of average. He has a nagging back injury, beyond that no one besides the team and Smith knows for certain what the actual injury is. He's only 27, but his play has clearly been on the downswing for the past 2 seasons. Still a reliable player, but for how much longer?

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Sua-Filo in the mix, the offense has generally functioned much better. Was Connor Williams that bad? I didn't think so, but there has been significant difference in the results.

I think the play calling helps in that regard too. When the guy across knows what is coming he isn't caught off guard. It wasn't all run on first down and pull a bootleg to start the second half that we normally see. But to your observation, I did see that Sua filled in much better than I thought would happen and I was pleased to see he really wasn't a weak link. I saw him pull a few times and did a great job leading.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL play has been much better lately. There are obvious assumptions we could make as to why but I'm not totally sure what the reason is. I am however very happy with the play recently. If it continues we should be able to move the ball which helps our offense and defense. One thing this team has suffered from in some of the games in which our Offense was more scrutinized was poor starting field position. I didn't look at numbers but that seems to be a little better lately too

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine this scenario next year

TSmith
Xavier Su'aFilo
Fred
Martin
Collins
Looney - interior backup
Williams - Swing tackle

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I make Williams a backup for the rest of this year right now, but I think the long term plan is and should be Williams starting. So next year I think he is either our LG or RT.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I make Williams a backup for the rest of this year right now, but I think the long term plan is and should be Williams starting. So next year I think he is either our LG or RT.

Give him a full off season training and nutrition regimen along with what he learned this season and let him come in fresh next training camp ready to go.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Who is your odd man out next year?

At this point, is Sua-Filo a better G than Collins is a RT?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Smith can't stay healthy he might be out sooner than later. Truth is if he just decides to retire I won't be surprised.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith can't stay healthy he might be out sooner than later. Truth is if he just decides to retire I won't be surprised.

I think T.Smith will tough it out for a few more years -- that's a lot of money on the table! And if he can maintain this level of play, he probably wouldn't be cut for at least a few more years. No doubt I am very concerned for his future, though. Such a shame, if not for his back issues, he would probably continue to be a top 3 LT for the next 5 years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that is a question for next Summer's competition and injury watch. If I had to choose today Sua-filo is the backup (for next year not this year). He's been in the league a while and the last two games may have been his two best lately. I suspect the other two have higher ceilings.