• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Line (2014-Present)

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So went and pulled the recruiting classes for Coach Pete's tenure so far since I was bitching about the Oline yesterday. And of course a week off can make you only ponder I have listed below my findings:

*2014 class*
OT McGary 4* (starter RT)
OT James 3* (backup center)
OT Sosebee 2* (starter LG)
OT Turner 2* ( still with program)

*2015 class*
OT Roberts 4* (backup RT)
OT Adams 4* (starter LT)
OT Hilbers 3* (still with program)

*2016 class*
OG Wattenberg 4* (backup RG)
OG Harris 3* (starter RG)
OG Kneip N/R ( still with program)

*2017 class*
OT Bainivalu 4*
OT Kirkland 3*
OT Norgaard 3*
OT Skuza N/R

So far we have :

5 - 4*
5- 3*
2- 2*
2- not rated, (though Kneip is name to remember)

Now my complaint yesterday was the whole zone run blocking scheme they use, of course the recruiting of 10 OT's clearly shows that, ( lot easier to convert slender well built OT into G's and C's for the zone)

As a guru of the OLine, so far not bad in recruiting. I'm sure there was some more 4* they could've really landed, but again beside size, it's the mental aspect to create a good zone blocking line. This new class added in the spring can be very good if they grow..

( Ratings are based on Scouts.com)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the lines are still where football is won and lost. This year the line has not held up their end of the bargain and it has had a significant impact on the scoreboard.

For as much as some want to blame Browning or the play calling for lack of a run game, look at the line play on tape. I'm serious, go back to games this year and just watch what the line is doing.

They have the personnel. Fire the OL Coach or get a fire lit under his ass. Either way.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the lines are still where football is won and lost. This year the line has not held up their end of the bargain and it has had a significant impact on the scoreboard.

For as much as some want to blame Browning or the play calling for lack of a run game, look at the line play on tape. I'm serious, go back to games this year and just watch what the line is doing.

They have the personnel. Fire the OL Coach or get a fire lit under his ass. Either way.

100% agree with you!

It started last year against SC, then Bama, now you add this ASU game. Zone blocking is designed to move the lineman to a certain area and for that lineman to take the defender and block him to a certain side.

Now with that said, the linemen is taken a 45 degree step out of his stance, so now you have a 300 pound lineman leaning to one side, any smart, or coached up defensive lineman knows how to blow that up very quickly before the play can gain any yards.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Huff took over the offensive line this past March.
One of Petersen's original coaches in Boise, he also handles the the running game for the Dawgs.

Now Boise St put some players in the NFL from their Oline when Petersen was there. Again they ran a zone offense where it can be huge hit, or a very gain able run game. Depending on the defense's they face.

Personally at some point I would like to see them line up and and run the football from the power offense,
I-form, Pro set, what ever just line up and let the linemen run down hill with a down hill running back and see they can do both styles, this will keep defenses guessing..

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Huff took over the offensive line this past March.
One of Petersen's original coaches in Boise, he also handles the the running game for the Dawgs.

Now Boise St put some players in the NFL from their Oline when Petersen was there. Again they ran a zone offense where it can be huge hit, or a very gain able run game. Depending on the defense's they face.

Personally at some point I would like to see them line up and and run the football from the power offense,
I-form, Pro set, what ever just line up and let the linemen run down hill with a down hill running back and see they can do both styles, this will keep defenses guessing..

I've always loved power football when you have a strong defense like the Dawgs do. Run the ball down their throat then hit them with a play action here and there.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always loved power football when you have a strong defense like the Dawgs do. Run the ball down their throat then hit them with a play action here and there.

Yeah see this is what I believe might come around if Smith gets the job down at Oregon ST....

You have multiple teams in the Pac 12 that does it already, Stanford, SC, and Utah at times.

I just think it goes along with a tough defense (they have built) and resembles the top tier programs.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah see this is what I believe might come around if Smith gets the job down at Oregon ST....

You have multiple teams in the Pac 12 that does it already, Stanford, SC, and Utah at times.

I just think it goes along with a tough defense (they have built) and resembles the top tier programs.

I've always liked the West Coast offense with an emphasis on the power run game. It eats up clock and tires out a defense.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked the West Coast offense with an emphasis on the power run game. It eats up clock and tires out a defense.

Yeah, Jimmy Jam has been trying to get it going at Michigan, The downside is a lot of routes are timing, it's hard to dial that in direct since the window of player is two to three years.....