• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of what you are saying is true. I just think Bates and Bell was more than could have been planned for. I like Hill. He has a lot of potential and I think you are right about maybe coming into his own and becoming a really good safety at some point, maybe even this season. But I think you easily point to the fact Lou plans his entire defense around Jesse Bates and his knowledge of the system, flexibility and leadership. Bates is what made this defense of Lou's work. So if we are going to keep Hill in that position, which is okay too, Lou has to figure out a new defense unless Hill shows real change this year.
I think a big issue was losing both Bell AND Bates at the same time...and though they drafted Hill his 1st year experience was almost entirely at the CB position.

Ideally - they would have been at least a year a part to allow for the rookie to get some snaps next to a veteran who could have helped show them how it was done that 1st year, and be ready to (hopefully) take over that 2nd year.

Again - if Lou and Co feel that Hill is not the long-term answer at S - then I have to trust that. I'm more eyeing the commentary where fans/media point the finger for the defensive issues last year at the S position and don't take into account anything outside of that. I think that's just because they lost Bell and Bates together and it becomes a high profile position. They don't take into account a rookie CB, where Apple and a healthy Awuzie help in the run game, or even in those deep quarter passing sets with the Safeties. They don't take into account CTB, who I think is going to be good, missing multiple games, forcing Awuzie into a lot of snaps off an ACL tear - where he was clearly still not himself. They don't take into account a DL that couldn't get stops on 1st down against the run, effectively throwing the defense for loops continually - or a pass-rush that, outside of Hendrickson, just couldn't generate enough pressure or get home enough to get sacks.

I don't disagree there is an opportunity to upgrade - I just don't want to upgrade because of the visuals listed in the paragraph above. If at all possible - I'd prefer that money spent elsewhere where there really isn't a plan in place: RT, DT - at the moment.