• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NY Mets @ SD Padres (5/6-8)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final: SD 3 - NY 2

Mets give another win away.
When Callaway should've used a PH...he opted not to.

:L

(Mets had 1st & 2nd with 2 outs in the 9th)
I thought for sure he would send Ramos to the plate in that situation.....but no.
Nido ended up whiffing on 3 straight pitches to end it, just like he did in the 7th (only in that inning it was 2nd & 3rd w/ just 1 out.)

Yes I know Nido had an otherwise good day at the plate but Ramos is a more patient hitter and has a shorter swing.
I'm not faulting Nido for striking out in his last 2 AB's...I'm saying Callaway had a better option to go to in the 9th w/ Ramos on the bench.

I'm not even gonna bring up how he wasted a position player/PH for a giveaway unproductive 2 outs earlier in the game....when the pitcher was due up with a runner on 1st and no outs...and he knew Font wasn't gonna be going back out to pitch in the 5th (Broxton GIDP PH'ing for Font on the 1st pitch he saw)
*Font could've, if given the chance, may have put down a nice timely sac bunt to move the runner into scoring position...and the complexion shifts.

It is what it is.
Nothing like a 1-5 road trip to take back home. Ugghh.

Bottom line...Mets/Callaway need to do better...much better.......but I digress.

Pivotal 7th swings things in Padres' favor

Mets fall short vs. Padres to close 1-5 road trip

UP NEXT:

Mets RHP Zack Wheeler (2-2, 4.64) has produced double-digit strikeout games in two of his past three outings. He's scheduled to open a three-game homestead against the Marlins on Friday.

TRAINER'S ROOM:

Mets LHP Steven Matz (forearm) will be re-evaluated Friday.
INF Jed Lowrie (knee) is expected to rejoin the team Friday and be inserted into the No. 2 spot in the lineup

Last edited: