• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Nuggets Vs Lakers Nov 23, 2014

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nuggets_alternate_logo.gif
Vs
lakers_logo_1991_alt.gif

@
Staples-Center-at-night.jpg

9:30PM ET/6:30PM PT - COVERAGE TWC SN/LOCAL RADIO ESPN LA 710AM

PREVIEW:Denver Nuggets vs. Los Angeles Lakers - Preview - November 23, 2014 - ESPN Los Angeles

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Byron is about fed up with the lack of defense too.

From an article this morning:

It does feel like I'm talking to myself when it comes to the defensive end of the floor and trying to stress how important it is to our guys each and every night. Because there are nights, like Atlanta and Houston, where we do it, but then there are other nights like Dallas when we just don't.

He went on to add:

It (porous defense) doesn't set well with me at all. I didn't take it out on them this morning, but I let them know that it doesn't set well with me. The one thing we are looking for at that end of the floor is consistency. We talked about the effort and the effort has gotten better, but the consistency every single night is what we want done and it's what I'm looking for.

Scott was asked about and praised Jordan Hill's offense, but couldn't stay off the topic of defense:

Offensively, he's doing a (heck) of a job. Defensively, though, he still has the inconsistency we're talking about. He's one of our main culprits-him and Boozer. They both know they have to get better. We show them on film (their weaknesses), so it's not a secret. I'm not trying to hide it and they shouldn't be shying away from it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill is going to have to learn the hard way that Scott is not Don'tKnowi; Hill can't take nights off defensively. The sooner he gets that through his knaggen, the faster he won't be called out. The lesson is his to learn.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill is going to have to learn the hard way that Scott is not Don'tKnowi; Hill can't take nights off defensively. The sooner he gets that through his knaggen, the faster he won't be called out. The lesson is his to learn.

Yep, there's a new Sheriff in town and he wants them playing defense. I expect that some guys will find themselves sitting next to Byron on the bench if they don't start bringing defense every night.

The Bulls have shown over the past couple of seasons that you can be a very competitive team if you just play defense every night. They have been arguably one of the most inept offensive teams in the league, but their defense has won them a lot of games despite that.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. Scott wants defense first and O second and people like Hill and maybe some of the other hold-overs like Kelly and Henry are going to find the going tough. Swaggy has appeared to adapt to the new edict. Others not necessarily.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets go, Lakers!!!

I think the Lakers will win, 101-97.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, there's a new Sheriff in town and he wants them playing defense. I expect that some guys will find themselves sitting next to Byron on the bench if they don't start bringing defense every night.

The Bulls have shown over the past couple of seasons that you can be a very competitive team if you just play defense every night. They have been arguably one of the most inept offensive teams in the league, but their defense has won them a lot of games despite that.

Exactly.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've stunk in transition defense from Day 1 and that's mostly all effort. So he can yell at them all they want but I'm not sure what he can do there if they haven't picked up the effort in transition yet. But he can make adjustments in the halfcourt if he wants to improve the defense. None of the players on the team are good defensive players. At best you can call maybe a couple average defenders so no matter what he does, they aren't going to be a great defensive team. But best I can tell, he's got them playing too aggressively. They play too far up on their man so they're getting blown by off the dribble. Rotations are late because each guy is too preoccupied with their own man than play team defense as a unit (this is hard in itself and usually requires a handful of smart defensive players). The result is guys are constantly chasing their man and the ball. They break down, give up shots and give up fouls. Plus, it appears the scheme changes with different rules (like double this guy, rotate here, etc) at times during games. There may be too many defensive rules and schemes in place and its confusing the players. And on picks, the interior defender is showing too much on the pick, leaving the lane wide open and forcing the wing players to crash in. If the wings are late, its a lay up. When they crash in, they give up a wide open three. Either way, you're screwed.

The only way to help this, given the talent level of the players, is for Scott to scrap the aggression and play conservative to hide the deficiencies in talent. Interior players need to give cushion on the picks (ie don't go past the FT line) in order to seal off the lane as best they can. The guard is gonna have to fight thru the pick this way but his only job here is to chase the opposing PG off the 3 point line. The wing players will also have to cheat with a foot towards the paint as well, spending time guarding space more directly their own man. You're gonna concede open looks in the midrange playing this way but the trade off is worth it. You're gambling that they'll hit a lower percentage of midrange shots than they will open 3s and layups (which you're currently giving up). They still won't be great or even good. But instead of giving up an average of 115 a game (or whatever its up to now), maybe you can get it down to 105. That'll give you a shot at winning a few more games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with turkey that this team is never going to be the Bulls defensively. However, there are few things they can do to improve. A solid defense requires trust. A player has to trust that if he leaves his man to give help defense, someone else is going to pick his man up. That trust takes time and I don't see it yet. Because of that, they are late on rotations (especially on the perimeter).

I agree also re: them appearing to be overly aggressive. We only have maybe 2 players who can consistently get as close to their man as Scott has them getting without being beaten of the dribble. That's Johnson and Young and they both need work.

Giving up midrange stuff to cut down on points in the paint and chase guys off the 3 point line is probably a pretty good idea too. Especially given that NBA players tend to ignore the midrange game, so most of them aren't that good at it.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Dallas game till the Lakers start.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've stunk in transition defense from Day 1 and that's mostly all effort. So he can yell at them all they want but I'm not sure what he can do there if they haven't picked up the effort in transition yet. But he can make adjustments in the halfcourt if he wants to improve the defense. None of the players on the team are good defensive players. At best you can call maybe a couple average defenders so no matter what he does, they aren't going to be a great defensive team. But best I can tell, he's got them playing too aggressively. They play too far up on their man so they're getting blown by off the dribble. Rotations are late because each guy is too preoccupied with their own man than play team defense as a unit (this is hard in itself and usually requires a handful of smart defensive players). The result is guys are constantly chasing their man and the ball. They break down, give up shots and give up fouls. Plus, it appears the scheme changes with different rules (like double this guy, rotate here, etc) at times during games. There may be too many defensive rules and schemes in place and its confusing the players. And on picks, the interior defender is showing too much on the pick, leaving the lane wide open and forcing the wing players to crash in. If the wings are late, its a lay up. When they crash in, they give up a wide open three. Either way, you're screwed.

The only way to help this, given the talent level of the players, is for Scott to scrap the aggression and play conservative to hide the deficiencies in talent. Interior players need to give cushion on the picks (ie don't go past the FT line) in order to seal off the lane as best they can. The guard is gonna have to fight thru the pick this way but his only job here is to chase the opposing PG off the 3 point line. The wing players will also have to cheat with a foot towards the paint as well, spending time guarding space more directly their own man. You're gonna concede open looks in the midrange playing this way but the trade off is worth it. You're gambling that they'll hit a lower percentage of midrange shots than they will open 3s and layups (which you're currently giving up). They still won't be great or even good. But instead of giving up an average of 115 a game (or whatever its up to now), maybe you can get it down to 105. That'll give you a shot at winning a few more games.

Davis is a good defender, Johnson is above average, and Hill has the potential to be above average.

And Kobe still has moments where he flashes the old Kobe defensively.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis is a good defender, Johnson is above average, and Hill has the potential to be above average.

And Kobe still has moments where he flashes the old Kobe defensively.

Problem is, a lot of the time it's because he freelanced outside of the scheme and that doesn't work out as well for him anymore as it did when he was younger. He ends up getting burned quite a bit.

That's part of the problem with them being too aggressive that turkey alluded to. They go for steals, miss and get burned. They need to learn when to go for the steal and when to just play defense.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come Boozer's not playing? Missed that.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, a lot of the time it's because he freelanced outside of the scheme and that doesn't work out as well for him anymore as it did when he was younger. He ends up getting burned quite a bit.

That's part of the problem with them being too aggressive that turkey alluded to. They go for steals, miss and get burned. They need to learn when to go for the steal and when to just play defense.

I know, IJS. I remember last season in Cleveland him shutting down Irving in the 4th quarter.