• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now That Was a Defense

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man, reading that article just breaks my heart all over again - for me and for my team...

Texas9erFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The good news is, we're just one or two offensive players from being the most dominant team in the NFL.

The bad news is, that probably means a new QB and an elite receiver... or two.

That's easier typed than done.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The good news is, we're just one or two offensive players from being the most dominant team in the NFL.

The bad news is, that probably means a new QB and an elite receiver... or two.

That's easier typed than done.

Yeah, I can't see us winning 13 games next season without measured improvement on offense...

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Me neither, but I don't think that means a new qb.

Perhaps not, but it will mean more production from our current one - which begs the question, can he provide, say an additional 800-1000 yards of passing offense with the same level of protection?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Perhaps not, but it will mean more production from our current one - which begs the question, can he provide, say an additional 800-1000 yards of passing offense with the same level of protection?

I think WR this year was as much a problem as QB. Could Smith have thrown for another 800 yards? If we upgrade at WR I believe he can. When we're lining up guys like Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams as our #2 WRs and Brett Swain as our #3 we have a problem there.

Clyde has pointed out a few times how low we ranked in pass attempts this year. I think part of that had to do with Smith, particularly early in the season when Harbaugh truly didn't trust him, but I think a lack of targets was an issue too.

I'd also really like to see the screen game introduced. We had the 3rd most rushing attempts this year. If we converted some of those to screens, I think the offense improves markedly. It keeps the pass rush a little more honest, and with Hunter allows for the potential a big play that the defense has to respect.

Texas9erFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Me neither, but I don't think that means a new qb.

Absolutely. Next season, Alex will have the one thing he's never had, CONTINUITY in the coaching staff and system. That in and of itself might make a world of difference. All he needs is some soft hands to throw to.

But if we can get Flynn from the Packers, WE SHOULD!

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think WR this year was as much a problem as QB. Could Smith have thrown for another 800 yards? If we upgrade at WR I believe he can. When we're lining up guys like Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams as our #2 WRs and Brett Swain as our #3 we have a problem there.

Clyde has pointed out a few times how low we ranked in pass attempts this year. I think part of that had to do with Smith, particularly early in the season when Harbaugh truly didn't trust him, but I think a lack of targets was an issue too.

I'd also really like to see the screen game introduced. We had the 3rd most rushing attempts this year. If we converted some of those to screens, I think the offense improves markedly. It keeps the pass rush a little more honest, and with Hunter allows for the potential a big play that the defense has to respect.

I agree that WR was a problem, first we had Morgan, then we lost him for the season, Braylon Edwards never really worked out for whatever reason, Crabtree and Smith never seemed to be on the same page. I am not unrealistic (I don't think) about Smith, but can we at least give him the same offensive coordinator 2 years in a row, and a decent receiver and see if he can improve on a decent performance this year before we show him the door?

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, reading that article just breaks my heart all over again - for me and for my team...

I couldn't agree more. Props to WSJ for giving a shot out to the Niners D in this way. You have very few in the media who will come out and say, the Niners D played their asses off and were the BEST thing coming out of the season's playoffs.

The score against the Saints were a little misleading. Yeah they scored a lot on us BUT in 3 and a half quarters, Niners D pretty much man-handled one of the best offenses this sport has ever seen. The last 4 minute drill overshadowed that. So everything was about Alex and Vernon but it's like, "Uh, did America ONLY watch the last 4 minutes of the damn game??!!"

And man oh man was he on point about having the Bellichick's Pats against the Niners D being in what could've been an epic matchup. People will talk about Giants vs Pats ad nauseam, it won't hurt to reflect on what was one of the wildest playoff runs for a couple of days.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is way is it *CRITICAL* that we re-sign Carlos Rogers and Goldson at any cost. Give Rogers what he wants, and tag Goldson.

It would be nice to get Brooks back as well, but we may be able to fill his role with a draft pick or a cheaper vet free agent.

We need to keep the defense intact, and then there's no reason that the defense won't be as dominant next year. The defense got us to the NFC championship this year.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we also need to start thinking about the defensive line, Justin Smith was a beast but he has been in the league for 12 years I think. I am wondering how much longer he can maintain this elite level of play.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we also need to start thinking about the defensive line, Justin Smith was a beast but he has been in the league for 12 years I think. I am wondering how much longer he can maintain this elite level of play.

I'd imagine he can still be quite effective up until about 36 or 37. He'll turn 33 in September, so we've got plenty of time with him. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Chris Doleman, etc... they all played until around 37 or longer... and I'd match Justin's heart and desire to play with any of them.

Kind of surprised that he's only 32, he looks much older.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No need to draft a DE or DT high now, we have other pressing needs.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to draft a DE or DT high now, we have other pressing needs.

u draft for the future. we're gonna need a replacement for justin smith sooner or later. if there was a jj watt type sitting there that got passed over, we'd have to take him over any wr at that spot