• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame vindicated with Alabama's loss?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason ND isn’t in a football conference is because of money.
They actually lose money (revenue sharing) by not being in a conference.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason ND isn’t in a football conference is because of money.

actually back in the day the tried to join the big ten but Michigan's coach/athletic director blocked them, then black balled them so they had to play around the country to get games all because he hated losing to Knute Rockne. That is how it started now it is about money.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they were overmatched and would hav been overmatched against any of the other 3

Crimson Kirk

Posting Intern
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually lose money (revenue sharing) by not being in a conference.
No they don't. The ACC, for example, paid out $26.6M in revenue to each of their schools in 2017. Notre Dame was cut a check of $5.8M for their affiliation via other sports. Notre Dame makes $15M annually from their TV deal with NBC. Notre Dame does not have to share or split any of their revenue from bowl appearances. They made $6M from their CFP appearance, plus $2.34M travel expense reimbursement, and then another $2.9M for meeting Academic Standard Rates.

All in told, Notre Dame takes in anywhere from $3-4M more by keeping their football program indy.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they don't. The ACC, for example, paid out $26.6M in revenue to each of their schools in 2017. Notre Dame was cut a check of $5.8M for their affiliation via other sports. Notre Dame makes $15M annually from their TV deal with NBC. Notre Dame does not have to share or split any of their revenue from bowl appearances. They made $6M from their CFP appearance, plus $2.34M travel expense reimbursement, and then another $2.9M for meeting Academic Standard Rates.

All in told, Notre Dame takes in anywhere from $3-4M more by keeping their football program indy.
Well I think expecting a CFP appearance every year is a bit much. They are more likely to average, at best, a NY6 bowl and would be a few million short of that. They are much closer to breaking even.

Are teams in other conferences not given travel expenses or money for ASR? Seems like those wouldn’t matter if they were independent or in a conference.

Crimson Kirk

Posting Intern
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think expecting a CFP appearance every year is a bit much. They are more likely to average, at best, a NY6 bowl and would be a few million short of that. They are much closer to breaking even.

Are teams in other conferences not given travel expenses or money for ASR? Seems like those wouldn’t matter if they were independent or in a conference.
Notre Dame isn’t operating on the assumption they’ll take home Pinstripe Bowl money every season. End of the day, it’s all about the best of both worlds. They get a conference payout from the ACC and don’t have to revenue share at all on the football side.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they were overmatched and would hav been overmatched against any of the other 3

I'll disagree. I think Bama definitely overmatched them, as they did everyone in the country but Clemson. But for most of the game, Notre Dame played really well defensively. They might have had the best secondary out of the final four. I think they could have had an interesting game against Oklahoma. Oklahoma would no doubt score some on them, but I think Notre Dame could contain their offense like Bama did. And Ian Book is a really good QB, and could definitely move the ball on a bad Oklahoma defense. I think Oklahoma was a little better this year, but I think that would have been a close game. But yeah, Clemson would have clearly blown OU out as well, so it definitely vindicates the loss.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They don't have to share bowl money when they make the playoffs
or an "elite bowl. But they do have to share the money when they
take the spot of an ACC team in one of their bowls.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, here is why

ND is #2

Did Notre Dame beat any teams that finished with just one loss? No.
Did Notre Dame beat any teams that finished with just two losses? No.
Did Alabama beat any teams with one loss? No
Just by playing an undefeated team you end up with one loss.

Parity among your competitors does not mean weakness.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF did that. Hence why not inviting UCF is proff that the Invitational is bullshit.

#UCFacts
UCF didnt get an invite because of their schedule. Its that simple.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF didnt get an invite because of their schedule. Its that simple.

Tshirt bandwagoners like you are really slow. @HuskerinBig10 said ND didn't beat a 1 or 2 loss team. That means they didn't play as good as teams as other contenders. I agreed pointing out UCF did. That means UCF beat better opponents based on that data point.

You respond with this bullshit conjecture with supporting evidence.

Go take a lap.

#UCFacts

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tshirt bandwagoners like you are really slow. @HuskerinBig10 said ND didn't beat a 1 or 2 loss team. That means they didn't play as good as teams as other contenders. I agreed pointing out UCF did. That means UCF beat better opponents based on that data point.

You respond with this bullshit conjecture with supporting evidence.

Go take a lap.

#UCFacts
hashtags are for 12yo and women. I was hoping the first was just an accident. Get a real schedule and put on your big girl panties.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2022 and 2023 will be interesting. ND has both Ohio State and Clemson both years.

That's not interesting, that's typical. The only time Notre Dame has sniffed a meaningful post-season is in year's where their schedule has gone to shit. The last time Notre Dame played for a title with two top 15 teams remaining on their schedule, My Great Grand Dad was still chasing tail down at the Legion. Safe to say that Notre Dame fans should not be booking flights for LA or Houston for 2022 and 2023.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not interesting, that's typical. The only time Notre Dame has sniffed a meaningful post-season is in year's where their schedule has gone to shit. The last time Notre Dame played for a title with two top 15 teams remaining on their schedule, My Great Grand Dad was still chasing tail down at the Legion. Safe to say that Notre Dame fans should not be booking flights for LA or Houston for 2022 and 2023.
I don't think it's typical for any team to face two top 5 teams from different conferences in the same regular season. You're right though, it probably won't be interesting. They haven't beaten OSU in over 80 years, and assuming Dabo keeps the train rolling, they likely won't be touching Clemson. In fact, I can't remember the last top 5 team ND beat in any season.

Crimson Kirk

Posting Intern
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Alabama beat any teams with one loss? No
Just by playing an undefeated team you end up with one loss.

Parity among your competitors does not mean weakness.
OU was a one loss team when Bama smoked them in the semis.