• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not Sure How I Feel About This one...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Red flags? Dungy cautions 49ers on possible Brown trade

Great player but has been a problem child and is getting older.

Uh huh, i previously posted something to this same effect:

"My question, to our personnel people, would always be, 'Why is this person available? If this is such a great player, why are they trying to trade him?' "

We can't afford 'team' issues especially since we're trying to build a 'young' foundation. If AB was a 'team builder like Sherman, then ok and we next look at other factors (performance, scheme fit, cap hit, and age). But it stops right here at 'team player', and his talent isn't worth a messy lockerroom.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niner are still in re-building mode, then it doesn't make much sense.
He's not what the team needs in the way of veteran leadership

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Niner are still in re-building mode, then it doesn't make much sense.
He's not what the team needs in the way of veteran leadership

IMO we're still in re-building mode, and if this next class shows up well next season (obviously heavily weighted on the ER), then we exit re-building mode. We won't exit re-bulding mode with a SB contending team right off, but there should be enough pieces in place.

It is unfortunate the 2017 class isn't better (ie Thomas and Foster), but it is still helping the foundation.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then sign for cheap. :-)

no i'm kidding, cause his cost isn't the first reason i don't want him but whomever he does end up with, should get a good deal. The Steelers are on the hook for most of his cost, so AB is looking for his best landing spot, not most pay.
I don't think there is any dealing. If you trade for him you are stuck with his current contract and that contract is what concerns me most.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh thats right, it would be a trade vice free agent. The current contract comes with him but it appears the new team only pays the base salary? So that would make him 'affordable', not cheap.

By trading Brown, the Steelers would be willing to absorb more than $21 million in dead money on their salary cap while Brown is entering the third year of a five-year, $72.7 million contract. Pittsburgh could decide that cap hit is worth shipping Brown in hopes of improving its locker-room dynamic. But it’s also a great deal of cash to pay for someone to play on another roster.

Brown, 30, will be affordable over the next three seasons, with salary cap figures of $15.13 million, $11.3 million and $12.5 million through 2021. San Francisco is entering the offseason expected to have roughly $70 million in cap space.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I don't want Brown on the Niners roster, that would be relatively cheap for the next 3 seasons.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of they can get him for a second this year and a pick next year I'm okay with the move. I might be alone in feeling that way but on well.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh thats right, it would be a trade vice free agent. The current contract comes with him but it appears the new team only pays the base salary? So that would make him 'affordable', not cheap.

By trading Brown, the Steelers would be willing to absorb more than $21 million in dead money on their salary cap while Brown is entering the third year of a five-year, $72.7 million contract. Pittsburgh could decide that cap hit is worth shipping Brown in hopes of improving its locker-room dynamic. But it’s also a great deal of cash to pay for someone to play on another roster.

Brown, 30, will be affordable over the next three seasons, with salary cap figures of $15.13 million, $11.3 million and $12.5 million through 2021. San Francisco is entering the offseason expected to have roughly $70 million in cap space.
Good news

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I don't want Brown on the Niners roster, that would be relatively cheap for the next 3 seasons.
I suppose it doesn't matter. He'll just get injured like every 49er free agent acguisition does. Here's the list:
Garcon, Garapollo, McKinnon, Smith, Goodwin. In other words, every significant signing has had a major injury and missed most, or all of a season right off the bat.