• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not looking good for Oline in offseason

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hobspin already trying to prepare folks for no changes.

Hi Geoff. I am an original Bengals fan since 68. What would it cost us to move from 5 to 2 in the draft to get Sewell? If we could get him and one of the premier guards in FA like Thuney I think it would help solve our OL issues. Bill Evans, Fort Myers, FL

BILL:
Thanks for your support down through the years. Can't do it. According to the Draft Tek value chart, that trade up to the Jets at No. 2 would take at least their second-rounder and maybe more. The only trade there is down and for defense. They can't be giving away picks. And especially not when it appears they already have some young tackles that can play. I'd make that argument even if they could get Sewell without a trade.

Defense. Defense. Defense.

As for Patriots guard Joe Thuney, I hear you on that. But that's just going to cost too much for a team that is stocked with so many offensive linemen and needs help on defense. The answer there is to develop the slew of guards you've already got. Take Thuney money and go after a a defensive lineman or cornerback.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG.... Hobs has lost his damn mind. I'm hoping he's just doing this reflexively so that he doesn't have to defend himself later. Keep in mind, he was saying the same stuff about FA last season (that the Bengals wouldn't be participating) and then we went out and spent much more money than we normally do.

I thought the new line coach said a few things in his interview to suggest there would be changes. We'll see.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG.... Hobs has lost his damn mind. I'm hoping he's just doing this reflexively so that he doesn't have to defend himself later. Keep in mind, he was saying the same stuff about FA last season (that the Bengals wouldn't be participating) and then we went out and spent much more money than we normally do.

I thought the new line coach said a few things in his interview to suggest there would be changes. We'll see.
Gosh I hope so. If Sewell gets taken before our pick, I am even starting to warm up to a Slater pick and I am not opposed to taking Chase, Smith or Pitts with our pick to keep talent around Burrow while we try to figure something out with the line.

There is just not much available in this years free agency without spending possibly 80 to 90 million dollars. I think Sewell at this point is a must have. Guards will be cheaper in FA, even if it is marginally.

I still think if we can draft Sewell and then OG Deonte Brown from Alabama with picks 1 and 2, then I am comfortable with the rest of the line for this year. Add to it next year again.

LT Sewell
LG Brown
C Price/Hopkins
RG Su'a-Filo/Spain (with Pollack back, Su'a may take off again like he did in Dallas under Pollack)
RT Jonah Williams

Go ahead, spend the money in FA on defense again, but you have to address the oline with the 1st two picks if those guys are available.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to see where the F/A market goes first. I still say they need to take at least 1 OT and one OG/C. Can't rely on landing a OT that you want, or waiting another year, or two, before they are up to speed.

Burrow is good now. Could be great behind an OL. Mixon is now. Boyd, Higgins, the rest...now. There is no reason to waste another year, or two, trying to fix the OL through the draft. Get a few F/A - then draft the best player available.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to see where the F/A market goes first. I still say they need to take at least 1 OT and one OG/C. Can't rely on landing a OT that you want, or waiting another year, or two, before they are up to speed.

Burrow is good now. Could be great behind an OL. Mixon is now. Boyd, Higgins, the rest...now. There is no reason to waste another year, or two, trying to fix the OL through the draft. Get a few F/A - then draft the best player available.
Where we f'd up last year was not outbidding Cleveland for Conklin. Put Conklin at RT on this line, and this draft and free agency period is another story.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be some decent older vets that are let go due to cap issues. Obviously not a great strategy for team building in the future, but getting a guy with a few years left could provide a much-needed stopgap as we try to draft and develop non-first round picks.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be some decent older vets that are let go due to cap issues. Obviously not a great strategy for team building in the future, but getting a guy with a few years left could provide a much-needed stopgap as we try to draft and develop non-first round picks.
Even if you were getting guys for 1-2 years, that would help. You can still find good value in rounds 2-4 at the OL position, and that would enable them to spend at least 1 year learning the ropes, getting stronger, learning the system.

Right now, with no additions via F/A - you have no choice but to target OL with at least half of the picks, meaning reaches and bad fits as well as not filling in depth with youth elsewhere...Not to mention, that means these young guys are learning from the current OL, which is not good - and will be forced into action long before they are ready possibly stunting their growth, at least early on.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my guess is the first step they took to fixing the OL was figuring out who the coach was going to be.

Now that they have that settled they can move forward. Not saying they will, but I believe this had to happen first.

the bengals could likely shop the pick after they see who's available after the jets pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your thoughts on this article from Cincy Jungle about why the Bengals SHOULD NOT draft offensive line at 5th overall?

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your thoughts on this article from Cincy Jungle about why the Bengals SHOULD NOT draft offensive line at 5th overall?

By the same logic shouldn’t they:

Avoid taking a Wr because John Ross was useless?

Or

Considering their last 9 or 10 first round picks all got hurt and never played a full season as a rookie, maybe they should trade out of the first round altogether

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are no safe draft picks.

it would help if the Bengals would not depend mostly on building through the draft and be more aggressive in free agency and at least try to put a winning season together, but who knows when they would ever do that?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that second round draft pick we made awhile back seems to be doing well for the rams...