• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not looking good for 2020 season.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coronavirus in college football: Hospitalizations, deaths projected by data analysts if FBS plays in 2020

COVID-19 does not discriminate, and young athletes are not immune to complications.

A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

Cancellation forthcoming.

Coronavirus in college football: Hospitalizations, deaths projected by data analysts if FBS plays in 2020

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are umpteen ways for this virus to get spread to a multitude of people on the teams and around the teams. No school wants to risk a multi-million lawsuit over some kid getting seriously ill. You think players get upset over a school song or a statue or a name on a building? Let someone get seriously sick with permanent damage or even dies. That's a HUGE lawsuit that the school will lose.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if there's a CFB season this year. NFL, yes. College, no

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don’t think it’s happening either. Man this sucks.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are umpteen ways for this virus to get spread to a multitude of people on the teams and around the teams. No school wants to risk a multi-million lawsuit over some kid getting seriously ill. You think players get upset over a school song or a statue or a name on a building? Let someone get seriously sick with permanent damage or even dies. That's a HUGE lawsuit that the school will lose.
Congress is trying to pass legislation preventing the schools from asking players to sign waivers of responsibility in case players get Covid and want to sue the schools.
Senators to submit bill prohibiting schools from compelling athletes to sign coronavirus waivers

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congress is trying to pass legislation preventing the schools from asking players to sign waivers of responsibility in case players get Covid and want to sue the schools.
Senators to submit bill prohibiting schools from compelling athletes to sign coronavirus waivers
"The decision to open football programs to voluntary workouts on June 1, they wrote, "did not come with universal safety guidance to govern all schools."

Summarizing the letter: Why can the NCAA find a one-size-fits-all approach to transfers, eligibility, safety and name, image and likeness, but testing for COVID-19 is left up to the schools?

"This is kind of the tipping point," Chris Hinton said. "We've been talking about doing something like this for three or four years. The pandemic, that [was the catalyst], some way to advocate for the parents and the players."

Good question IMHO.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The decision to open football programs to voluntary workouts on June 1, they wrote, "did not come with universal safety guidance to govern all schools."

Summarizing the letter: Why can the NCAA find a one-size-fits-all approach to transfers, eligibility, safety and name, image and likeness, but testing for COVID-19 is left up to the schools?

"This is kind of the tipping point," Chris Hinton said. "We've been talking about doing something like this for three or four years. The pandemic, that [was the catalyst], some way to advocate for the parents and the players."

Good question IMHO.
It's nuts. Booomer Esiason made a statement a few days ago that he thinks school like Clemson, Bama, and LSU that already have a high number of players testing positive for Covid are having the kids get sick on purpose so they will have immunity by the time the season starts. Sounds crazy, but crazy sheeeet has happened before.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL with or without fans?
Not sure, but I don't think the fans rate as high as we would all like to think.

Without the fans, teams would be able to eliminate all the hospitality/security jobs at the stadiums.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nuts. Booomer Esiason made a statement a few days ago that he thinks school like Clemson, Bama, and LSU that already have a high number of players testing positive for Covid are having the kids get sick on purpose so they will have immunity by the time the season starts. Sounds crazy, but crazy sheeeet has happened before.
We don't know how long immunity last if you get sick from this virus and people still report side effects from this virus

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to happen and really shouldn't happen. I think a Spring season of conference games only would be much better - even though it will be super cold in Ames at the start of the season.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to happen and really shouldn't happen. I think a Spring season of conference games only would be much better - even though it will be super cold in Ames at the start of the season.

I agree. Obviously it’s a fluid situation but put some heavy consideration around moving the games to the spring.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

COVID-19 does not discriminate, and young athletes are not immune to complications.

A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

Maryland and Notre Dame kill people... if we remove them, could we continue.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you're right.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's just plain stupid.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duh. Naw, all of Clempsin's team got sick simultaneously by coincidence. :rolleyes: Get it done and get on the field.

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"projecting 3-7 deaths" So assuming that this and only this projection turns out to be accurate and not at all inflated.

3 - 7 deaths (lets face it 3 is probably closer to correct, if that).... out of 13,000 ? That seems like an acceptable ratio to me, considering that any fit 20 year old would have to have had an extreme comorbidity already for this virus to affect him to that extent.

Are we really saying the risk has to be zero out of 13,000? Where else in life do you get zero risk?

My mortality rate in the 43-year old healthy male category if I get this thing is .04% (4 in 10,0000). How much lower is it for healthy 20 year olds?

The season should be played as scheduled and it's not even close.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3