• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non Pats / Football Question

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wife and I are in the midst of a major home renovation picked out all the bathroom remodel stuff. Pretty much know the cabinetry really stuck on counter tops. Quartz and Granite seem to be contenders, corian and some other products are considered as well. Anyone know much about this stuff or have done some research and made a choice? Just curious.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wife and I are in the midst of a major home renovation picked out all the bathroom remodel stuff. Pretty much know the cabinetry really stuck on counter tops. Quartz and Granite seem to be contenders, corian and some other products are considered as well. Anyone know much about this stuff or have done some research and made a choice? Just curious.
AS an ex-contractor, I can help get past some of the bull____.
Quartz stains and can be dissolved by acids. It must be resealed every year.It breaks easier and chips easier. Every stone shop shows you quartz 1st these days because white is in style and easier to work with. Profits are better too.
Granite requires more skill to cut and install. It is harder and much hader to cut or scratch.It is harder to match too. People that like better color choices lean towards granite. Again white is in style and speckled granite is not.
Corian is inferior and easy to work with. It is manmade so it will look exactly as pictured. It is a decent countertop as long as you don't have children prepping on it or old mother in laws who don't want to get out a plate or cutting board. It is easier to repair and that is good because it is easy to damage. It is great for a bar because banging your glass on it won't shatter the glass. Mother in laws coffee mug will scratch the shit out of it.

If you get a good installer, they will measure carefully. Installation is"easy" with good measurements. You need to decide if you want negative or positive reveal on the sink cut.Ask if they plumb the new drain and faucet. I prefer granite. If you can, take your wife to look at the slabs. Avoid fads choose classic colors that won't go out of style. There are normally 5 "grades" of color choices. Some of the 5's are horably expensive and nobody but you will like your choice. Keep that in mind unless you plan on dyeing in the house.

Look at the slabs without a saleslady first. Take notes and pictures. I find that not making your decision on your 1st trip helps. Don't let the saleslady talk to your wife until the 2 of you have talked. The saleslady sells to women every single day! Note that you can find a cheaper grade in almost any color that looks just like the more expensive choice. I have installed a lot of grade 1 granite that people raved about when I sold the house. The Wild Brazillian granites are beautiful - so beautiful you could hang them on the wall! Wife may not like them at all. Be patient, You can find a color that you both like. If you both like it, a potential couple buying your home will likely like it too.

Notes: in today's market, Stone is the minimum acceptable countertop. Anything else the buyer will want replaced. Seriously consider an undermount sink. I prefer single bowl and deep. Farmhouse sinks are a fad and in style. They will be obsolete quickly! Faucets that pull out are great, in style and nobody is going back to the separate sprayer. Soap dispensers look great and are really handy. They also drip on countertops and stain them.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quartz stains and can be dissolved by acids. It must be resealed every year.It breaks easier and chips easier. Every stone shop shows you quartz 1st these days because white is in style and easier to work with. Profits are better too.
Granite requires more skill to cut and install. It is harder and much hader to cut or scratch.It is harder to match too. People that like better color choices lean towards granite. Again white is in style and speckled granite is not.
Corian is inferior and easy to work with. It is manmade so it will look exactly as pictured. It is a decent countertop as long as you don't have children prepping on it or old mother in laws who don't want to get out a plate or cutting board. It is easier to repair and that is good because it is easy to damage. It is great for a bar because banging your glass on it won't shatter the glass. Mother in laws coffee mug will scratch the shit out of it.

If you get a good installer, they will measure carefully. Installation is"easy" with good measurements. You need to decide if you want negative or positive reveal on the sink cut.Ask if they plumb the new drain and faucet. I prefer granite. If you can, take your wife to look at the slabs. Avoid fads choose classic colors that won't go out of style. There are normally 5 "grades" of color choices. Some of the 5's are horably expensive and nobody but you will like your choice. Keep that in mind unless you plan on dyeing in the house.

Look at the slabs without a saleslady first. Take notes and pictures. I find that not making your decision on your 1st trip helps. Don't let the saleslady talk to your wife until the 2 of you have talked. The saleslady sells to women every single day! Note that you can find a cheaper grade in almost any color that looks just like the more expensive choice. I have installed a lot of grade 1 granite that people raved about when I sold the house. The Wild Brazillian granites are beautiful - so beautiful you could hang them on the wall! Wife may not like them at all. Be patient, You can find a color that you both like. If you both like it, a potential couple buying your home will likely like it too.

Notes: in today's market, Stone is the minimum acceptable countertop. Anything else the buyer will want replaced. Seriously consider an undermount sink. I prefer single bowl and deep. Farmhouse sinks are a fad and in style. They will be obsolete quickly! Faucets that pull out are great, in style and nobody is going back to the separate sprayer. Soap dispensers look great and are really handy. They also drip on countertops and stain them.
/thread lol Props though, very informative

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow thank you.

The man the is installing my cabinets did say I should ask about an undermount sink and ask if they mount the sink. I want white cabinets or Hickory. So of the three Granite is the most durable? I watched a video on sealing it looks pretty easy.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that saved a lot of googling.

Great summary and you hit key points, bonus on the sink call, I wouldn't do that any other way with a stone (or stone like) countertop.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow thank you.

The man the is installing my cabinets did say I should ask about an undermount sink and ask if they mount the sink. I want white cabinets or Hickory. So of the three Granite is the most durable? I watched a video on sealing it looks pretty easy.
If you buy white cabinets, do not buy thermofoil!. They are absolute crap. They are sold to young wifes that just like that they are white and cheap!
Sealing is easy. Some stone comes as pre-sealed and "never needs sealing" Don't believe it - seal every year. I love hickory but it is currently out of style. Younger generations don't want old people's brown wood furniture and cabinets. Sales ladies are women and more prone to current fads.
If you and your wife like the look of wood, don't let a fashion queen talk you out of it. - unless you plan on selling in the next 5 years.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you buy white cabinets, do not buy thermofoil!. They are absolute crap. They are sold to young wifes that just like that they are white and cheap!
Sealing is easy. Some stone comes as pre-sealed and "never needs sealing" Don't believe it - seal every year. I love hickory but it is currently out of style. Younger generations don't want old people's brown wood furniture and cabinets. Sales ladies are women and more prone to current fads.
If you and your wife like the look of wood, don't let a fashion queen talk you out of it. - unless you plan on selling in the next 5 years.
Current style is not a consideration for me. We plan to die here so we will get what pleases us not the masses. But I get what you are saying.

We are looking at

Thomasville
Kraftmaid
Vermont American

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current style is not a consideration for me. We plan to die here so we will get what pleases us not the masses. But I get what you are saying.

We are looking at

Thomasville
Kraftmaid
Vermont American
Don't be afraid of Shenandoah, also called American Woodmark. They are quality cabinets at a cheaper price. I have used them in my own homes.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be afraid of Shenandoah, also called American Woodmark. They are quality cabinets at a cheaper price. I have used them in my own homes.
Will keep in mind TY

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an expert but had bathroom counters installed.

I don't know if you have a quarry or granite distributor anywhere near you in Gainsville, but I went directly to the yard and spent about four hours walking around, touching comparing.

Southie is right. I bought an incredible full slab of Brazilian and it is incredible. The place said that they would store the remainder of the slab because they have a giant storage yard. About sixmonths later I went back to have the slab cut for a second bathroom and my kitchen and one of the people let a customer buy it, not knowing (Didn't bother to read the sticker or tore it off), and my 9' x 13' slab was in someone else's house. I got free granite for what I needed that wasn't as spectacular as what I'd ordered, but I also got the $2300 I paid for the quarry slab.

Like Southie said, don't rush and don't let anyone give you a line of bullshit. Get what YOU and the wife want and DO NOT SETTLE. You'll never regret taking Southie's advice on this.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. For bathrooms there is not much of a difference as far as porosity is concerned. Water, soap and toothpaste is all.
In the kitchen there are different cleaners, foods, oils, juices, wine, coffee...etc that you need to be concerned about. Much less so in the bathroom.
Don't discount Marble if you can get the right price/color to match.
Go for looks over cost or cost over looks.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. For bathrooms there is not much of a difference as far as porosity is concerned. Water, soap and toothpaste is all.
In the kitchen there are different cleaners, foods, oils, juices, wine, coffee...etc that you need to be concerned about. Much less so in the bathroom.
Don't discount Marble if you can get the right price/color to match.
Go for looks over cost or cost over looks.
Marble is porous.
For example, if you use marble for a shower, water that gets on the marble will seep under the glass frame. It will mold under the frame and you can't get it out.
Marble on a vanity top will stain under your shaving cup. It leaves a ring of mold that will not come out.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marble is porous.
For example, if you use marble for a shower, water that gets on the marble will seep under the glass frame. It will mold under the frame and you can't get it out.
Marble on a vanity top will stain under your shaving cup. It leaves a ring of mold that will not come out.
Marble is porous.
As is Granite. Just more so.
Marble is used around the world in kitchens where the porosity is more of a concern.
I would not use marble in a kitchen because it is more porous than granite.
I would use granite in a kitchen and seal it often. I would use marble in a bathroom and seal it often.

Quartz. Much less porous.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marble is porous.
Marble is used around the world in kitchens where the porosity is more of a concern.
I would use granite in a kitchen and seal it often. I would use marble in a bathroom and seal it often.

We each have our own experience. I would not use marble for anything. Quartz is acceptable in either kitchen or bath.
In my humble opinion, Granite is better and can be much prettier. Quartzite can be very pretty!

1652796839949.png1652796916299.png1652796839949.pngQuartzite
Quartz

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marble is porous.

I have decided on Granite. I went by two stoneworks places this weekend. Quartz while more expensive cannot tolerate heat, one of the two guy's stated boiling water could effect the quartz. They both stated quartz is popular right now because it's not as "Busy" as granite can be and a lot of people are looking for very simple white and gray design. They also stated house flippers like quartz because the can get that modern White and Gray look.

Granite will stain only when not properly sealed. The one place stated they seal their Granite three times, once before the cut, once after the cut and then on the day of installation. They both stated that sealant will easily last 5 to 10 years but suggested I seal once a year with a simple spray sealant, both stated the process is easy. There is a simple water test to see if you are well sealed, or if it looks dull.

And they both set the under counter sink