• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

no pre-season?

dylansalas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi...I'm new here and would like to ask a question.
I had an argument with my nephew today about the NFL.
He said the NFL should have 20 games and no pre-season.
He said a team should run scrimmages and decide who should be on the team.
I think he is insane and argued many points why that's a terrible idea from rookies to injuries and so on.
I would like some opinions of this. does anyone think he has a good idea?

Thanks.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a 17 game season so a team always finished either winning or losing. I'd also like to see two less preseason games and the season being 19 weeks so that there is a late bye week.

dylansalas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be in favor for only 2 pre-season games, but I would expand the roster for the first 2-3 games.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't like the idea of adding more games. The regular season is great how it is.

If anything I'd add another week of preseason if the NFL wants more money. Like a game extremely early in the year when teams aren't very prepared at all. Play the starters maybe a couple of drives & let backups do the rest. It won't get amazing ratings, but it'll still beat baseball.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be in favor for only 2 pre-season games, but I would expand the roster for the first 2-3 games.

Yeah, that's an interesting thought as well. I never thought about expanding the rosters at the end of the season like MLB does. The downside is teams resting starters and the final game being largely garbage time.

dylansalas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another point I was making to him is that players get injured now more then ever during the season. Think of how many more injuries there would be if they played 20 regular season games,

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand the players don't get game checks during the preseason. They're still on training camp salary and seeing how they charge as much to go to preseason games as they do regular season games these days it's a cash cow for the owners.

I could see the players union pushing for less preseason games and the owners pushing for more. Then we have a lockout etc etc.

I hope they don't mess with it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi...I'm new here and would like to ask a question.
I had an argument with my nephew today about the NFL.
He said the NFL should have 20 games and no pre-season.
He said a team should run scrimmages and decide who should be on the team.
I think he is insane and argued many points why that's a terrible idea from rookies to injuries and so on.
I would like some opinions of this. does anyone think he has a good idea?

Thanks.

20 reg season games...imo, no.

Teams are having a difficult time managing 16 games with 53 man rosters and 46 active on game day. To add even 2 more reg. season games without expanding roster sizes is only going to worsen that problem.

I think 4 additional games only helps the owners make more money. Imo it will hurt the product on the field which overall has declined...even with the new rules, QB play across the NFL is worse than it was.

Talent evaluation...every year teams find players that were undrafted or very late round picks that go on to be starters or impact players...idk if you can evaluate players just off practice and scrimmages.

16 games and the current playoff system they have works.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see

1) 3 pre-season games
2) 19 week NFL regular season
3) 2 bye weeks (separated by at least 4 weeks in the middle)
4) 8 home, 8 away, and 1 neutral game (played at a location w/o an NFL team, like Vegas, or LA, or Boise, or Omaha)

IF they expand the playoffs
1) remove 1 more preseason game (total of 2)

dylansalas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds good BoBlake.
I appreciate everyone's imput on this subject.