• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interviewing Austin for HC

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't be ours for long I'm afraid. I don't think he's simply a Rooney body.

Lions DC Teryl Austin revealed Thursday that the 49ers have requested permission to interview him for their head-coaching vacancy.

Austin has never been a head coach at any level, and the Niners are seeking a Jim Harbaugh replacement who won't rock the boat. Austin's work with the Lions' defense this season was beyond-fantastic, improving the unit from the Jim Schwartz era with similar personnel. He has drawn Mike Tomlin comparisons.

- Rotoworld

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of when we had Marinelli and Martz. It was clear that Marinelli was not HC material. Not that Martz was a god or anything, but no way Marinelli should have had more power.

Caldwell is better than Marinelli. That's obvious. But I would still rather keep Austin than JC. If we can keep Suh, we'll still have a great defense. But if we lose both, be prepared to revert back to a shitty defense. Shit could get ugly next year if our offense doesn't progress.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the 9ers interviewing Rex Ryan too.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of when we had Marinelli and Martz. It was clear that Marinelli was not HC material. Not that Martz was a god or anything, but no way Marinelli should have had more power.

Caldwell is better than Marinelli. That's obvious. But I would still rather keep Austin than JC. If we can keep Suh, we'll still have a great defense. But if we lose both, be prepared to revert back to a shitty defense. Shit could get ugly next year if our offense doesn't progress.

:10:

I will enjoy this weekend and hopefully a trip to the Clink before thinking about that nightmare.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We still wont have a shitty defense. We will be middle of the pack depending who we add. We added 2 good safeties and Whitehead and made the next step. Ziggy is much better already and will become a force next year. Van Noy should be solid by next year as well. Many good players on this defense. It will come down to who we add at DT and CB. If we get no one of consequence, this becomes an average defense. If we replace with quality it will still be a top 10 defense.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are underestimating suhs impact.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you underestimate everyone elses. Until we got 2 new safeties and ziggy, this defense flat out sucked WITH Suh.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you underestimate everyone elses. Until we got 2 new safeties and ziggy, this defense flat out sucked WITH Suh.

Don't forget Slay's improvement, Whitehead's emergence, and Levy as a consistent playmaker. This D has quite enough pieces to build upon if Suh doesn't return. There's plenty of defenses around the league that are good and they don't have Suh on them.

As for Austin, I simply can't see him leaving this year. He only has 1 year as a coordinator and zero years as a head coach. Yes I'm sure guys have been hired with the same experience or less, but imo he won't get hired on anywhere in '15. 2016 could be a different story depending on the year the D has.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the 9ers interviewing Rex Ryan too.

Exactly. 49ers run a 3-4 alignment and Austin runs a 4-3. Might be a Rooney interview. or a step up from a Rooney interview I might say.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. 49ers run a 3-4 alignment and Austin runs a 4-3. Might be a Rooney interview. or a step up from a Rooney interview I might say.

Actually the Lions ran a 4-3 when he and Jim came in and they did not change it. Austin was a DB coach within a 3-4 system in Balmer.

I have been wondering if Suh does leave do they try and switch? Remember that we here discussed would there be a swap when he was hired.

This is a topic for spring time and my initial thought is don't fix what is not broke. Just how broke is the defense without Suh will be the debate?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooney Rule

The 49ers have a couple of good defensive coaches that are under consideration as well as Quinn from Seattle. I like Austin but he needs 2 years of good defense play.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With or without the Rooney rule he probably would be invited for an interview just on the basis of due diligence. Doubt if the 49er's are the only team that will interview him. The question is, does any team picture him as the next Mike Tomlin, and are they willing to bet they have the personnel and system in place that only needs a leader and not an overhaul?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With or without the Rooney rule he probably would be invited for an interview just on the basis of due diligence. Doubt if the 49er's are the only team that will interview him. The question is, does any team picture him as the next Mike Tomlin, and are they willing to bet they have the personnel and system in place that only needs a leader and not an overhaul?

He has one more solid year as a D-Coordinator teams will be wishing they signed him this season. But I just don't see a team gamble on Austin with Quinn, Rex Ryan, Gase, and Daniels looking available.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has one more solid year as a D-Coordinator teams will be wishing they signed him this season. But I just don't see a team gamble on Austin with Quinn, Rex Ryan, Gase, and Daniels looking available.

You can throw Bowles in there also for another DC along with Quinn who have shown worthy before Austin IMO.

Rex wanted the Falcons job last time??? Another name in the hat is Doug Marone, not sure which team he is going to? To opt out, he is going somewhere.

Somebody needs to leak out some bad juju on him so he stays in the D.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can throw Bowles in there also for another DC along with Quinn who have shown worthy before Austin IMO.

Rex wanted the Falcons job last time??? Another name in the hat is Doug Marone, not sure which team he is going to? To opt out, he is going somewhere.

Somebody needs to leak out some bad juju on him so he stays in the D.

Marone is NY Jets Bound

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons want McDaniels. Rex Ryan wants Falcons.

Del Rio IMO goes Oakland.

Schwartz should get Buffalo and it would surprise me if he didn't as a new regime would be unlikely to keep him and with the way the defense played I would think they would want him to stay.

Quinn, Gase, and Bowles should get jobs this offseason. It would be a great FU to Seattle if the 49ers hired Quinn.