• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners down to Jones and Lance

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Peter King, Shanahan and Lynch had Lance run several of Shanahan's passing route at his second Pro Day. King says that the 49ers will take Lance.

bleacher Report said in an article this morning that the Patriots and Lions are very close to a trade of picks. looks like the pats will give them #15, #46 and nect year's first for #7 and will take Fields. if he's there, if not, Jones. The patriots have to make the move because Denver is trying to move up as far as they can to get either Fields or Jones or Lance. They think that the broncos will offer the farm to the dolphins and get up to #6.

If all of that shit is true, the Dolphins will have a first round ransom of first round picks for the next few years.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
According to Peter King, Shanahan and Lynch had Lance run several of Shanahan's passing route at his second Pro Day. King says that the 49ers will take Lance.

bleacher Report said in an article this morning that the Patriots and Lions are very close to a trade of picks. looks like the pats will give them #15, #46 and nect year's first for #7 and will take Fields. if he's there, if not, Jones. The patriots have to make the move because Denver is trying to move up as far as they can to get either Fields or Jones or Lance. They think that the broncos will offer the farm to the dolphins and get up to #6.

If all of that shit is true, the Dolphins will have a first round ransom of first round picks for the next few years.
Where did you hear about the Peter King thing?

His mock today has them taking Jones so I'm curious if something has changed his mind very recently.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you hear about the Peter King thing?

His mock today has them taking Jones so I'm curious if something has changed his mind very recently.
WEEI Afternoon radio talk show.

93.7 FM Boston.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jones would be a terrible pick but I'd still loathe it and begrudging accept it and hope for the best.

Since it's my team and I've been following it closely and there are legitimate things to like about Jones but he just reeks of pretty good starter but nothing special category and not someone to burn an extra 2 1sts and a 3rd over.

With Mac you're hoping he turns into a Drew Brees. Someone not especially physically gifted but just kills you by operating the offense and throwing the ball with surgical precision.
Mac Jones profiles differently than the two. You hope you're getting Peyton Manning/Tom Brady (best case) from him while you were hoping to get Aaron Rodgers from D. Jones/Trubisky. Mac flashed more ability to run an offense and put the ball where and when it is needed than the other two. That's what you need from your QB first and foremost.

The dirty secret is that you don't need your QB to be a good runner at all, people have just become enamored with it cause it adds another degree of entertainment value. You just need to him to be able to see the field, feel the pass rush and move just enough to buy himself another second to get the ball out to where it needs to be with accuracy. That's why Tom Brady is the GOAT with some of the worst athletic measurables possible. If the Niners take Mac Jones then that's exactly what they're hoping for: basically a re-do of Matt Ryan's MVP-type play under Shanahan in Atlanta.
Mac Jones ran a 4.7 40.

Daniel Jones ran a 4.81.

Mitch ran a 4.67.

ARodg ran a 4.71.

I think people are discounting Mac’s athletic ability.

But also skipping over the fact he’s going to have less talent around him at the skill positions than he had at the start of last season at Alabama. Which is crazy, but I’m confident in it being true. Not many teams with two first round wideouts and prolly a second round lead back, besides Bama.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Mac Jones ran a 4.7 40.

Daniel Jones ran a 4.81.

Mitch ran a 4.67.

ARodg ran a 4.71.

But also skipping over the fact he’s going to have less talent around him at the skill positions than he had at the start of last season at Alabama. Which is crazy, but I’m confident in it being true. Not many teams with two first round wideouts and prolly a second round lead back, besides Bama.

His athletic ability is just adequate and it wouldn't be a problem if he had great arm talent but that's just adequate as well.

He simply doesn't have the ceiling that you want to see from a guy you're taking 3rd overall and that you gave up an additional two 1sts and a 3rd rounder for.

I don't think he'll flat out bust or anything but I'm concerned that what we've seen from him at Bama is the best it's going to get for him and it'll be all downhill from there because he's going to see a lot more pressure and windows are going to be way tighter in the NFL and it's more likely he's an Andy Dalton than he is a Tom Brady or Drew Brees.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His athletic ability is just adequate and it wouldn't be a problem if he had great arm talent but that's just adequate as well.

He simply doesn't have the ceiling that you want to see from a guy you're taking 3rd overall and that you gave up an additional two 1sts and a 3rd rounder for.

I don't think he'll flat out bust or anything but I'm concerned that what we've seen from him at Bama is the best it's going to get for him and it'll be all downhill from there because he's going to see a lot more pressure and windows are going to be way tighter in the NFL and it's more likely he's an Andy Dalton than he is a Tom Brady or Drew Brees.
Whoever you guys draft will be in the best position to succeed. Atleast of all the QBs who go first round.

By far the best. They’re joining a high quality team. The guys that go 1-2 are joining bad teams.

Just wanted to get that out there. I agree with everything you said.

But want his feet to be appreciated a little bit. Mitch has great feet, a winning record, a Pro Bowl and two trips to the playoffs after four seasons. And gets to be a backup now. You never know who will be judged a bad pick and who won’t. And sometimes, it’s hard to put a finger on why.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the experts, Lance is not ready to play and most likely won't be util next year. It all has to do with the lack of playing time and the level of competition. Jones on the hand, is ready now. The 49ers know that they have a problem with JG and he's not going to be the best teacher. No one, regardless of their appearance is willing to train their replacement unless they're retiring and JG ain't looking to retire. Smart move for the Niners is to take mac and move on.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones ran a 4.7 40.

Daniel Jones ran a 4.81.

Mitch ran a 4.67.

ARodg ran a 4.71.

I'm not a college football connoisseur but Mac doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to routinely pull it down and actually make some moves. Trubisky and Rodgers actually have some moves and can make a little happen with their feet. I could be wrong though.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a college football connoisseur but Mac doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to routinely pull it down and actually make some moves. Trubisky and Rodgers actually have some moves and can make a little happen with their feet. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, QB 40 times are very deceptive. Tim Tebow ran a 4.71 40 and rushed for nearly a 1,000 yards in the NFL, only starting 14 games. A 40 time doesn't really tell you if a QB is mobile or not.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't like either of them actually.

What team has had more quality QB's than the Niners and now we are down to this, sheesh!!!!

The thing about the 40 is if a kid comes out of college running a 4.37, he will slow down to a 4.57, if he comes in a 4.57 guy he slows down............ NFL wear and tear cools the jets unless a freak like Hill.

Last edited:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones ran a 4.7 40.

Daniel Jones ran a 4.81.

Mitch ran a 4.67.

ARodg ran a 4.71.

40 times dont mean shit for a "passer"
if you are a QB that tucks it & runs. Yeah 40 times might mean something. (mike Vick)
But if you are a real threat as a passer. When you break out of the pocket the threat of you passing gives you distance to make yards with your feet. Not your speed. (like A-Rod)

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in!!!
So it turns out the niners traded up to #3, because they have it on good authority that the jets wont be picking widely assumed Zack Wilson. Wasnt mentioned who the Jets were taking, but this prompted the niners to make sure they moved up to #3 so they could land Zack Wilson!

obviously I just made up this rumor for the fun of it because I can. No need to take any of it serious

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much need to pull it down and run when you complete 78% of your passes and get sacked(I believe) the second fewest times of anyone in the country.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40 times dont mean shit for a "passer"
if you are a QB that tucks it & runs. Yeah 40 times might mean something. (mike Vick)
But if you are a real threat as a passer. When you break out of the pocket the threat of you passing gives you distance to make yards with your feet. Not your speed. (like A-Rod)
I was only saying his athletic ability isn’t being credited.