• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners down to Jones and Lance

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least according to Bleacher Report.

I’m getting serious Daniel Jones/Mitch Trubisky vibes from Mac Jones. Dude has such a low NFL ceiling. He’s probably a second day prospect, but if the Niners (over)value him enough to take him at 3, more power to them. That limited skill set could come back and bite them and leave them in this same position 3-4 years down the road if they aren’t careful.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think Jones would be a terrible pick but I'd still loathe it and begrudging accept it and hope for the best.

Since it's my team and I've been following it closely and there are legitimate things to like about Jones but he just reeks of pretty good starter but nothing special category and not someone to burn an extra 2 1sts and a 3rd over.

With Mac you're hoping he turns into a Drew Brees. Someone not especially physically gifted but just kills you by operating the offense and throwing the ball with surgical precision.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think the 49ers traded up to #3 and didn’t know exactly who they were going to use the pick on, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.
Yep... All this speculation is pure fluff material by various media outlets. It's an easy narrative to sell though.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report articles are now showing up on here? Glad to see that was fixed!

Again can someone explain to me why everyone is so "high" on Lance?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report articles are now showing up on here? Glad to see that was fixed!

He fits the profile of today’s QB..Run/pass threat and plus potential in both areas

he didn’t play last season and years prior the comp was pretty terrible, but he has all the measureables.

if the Niners are set on Jimmy G starting next season, Lance makes the most sense

if they take Jones, I’d expect a JG trade shortly after the draft

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He fits the profile of today’s QB..Run/pass threat and plus potential in both areas

he didn’t play last season and years prior the comp was pretty terrible, but he has all the measureables.

if the Niners are set on Jimmy G starting next season, Lance makes the most sense

if they take Jones, I’d expect a JG trade shortly after the draft

Measurables against shitty competition though... Can we truly judge that?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the arm and leg talent jumps off the page, teams are always gonna dream of what they can make him

Yeah that is a good point. I just am not sold on him. Yes he may have the arm strength but he wasn't going up against elite defenders. Then again I never have seen him play

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least according to Bleacher Report.

I’m getting serious Daniel Jones/Mitch Trubisky vibes from Mac Jones. Dude has such a low NFL ceiling. He’s probably a second day prospect, but if the Niners (over)value him enough to take him at 3, more power to them. That limited skill set could come back and bite them and leave them in this same position 3-4 years down the road if they aren’t careful.
Mac Jones profiles differently than the two. You hope you're getting Peyton Manning/Tom Brady (best case) from him while you were hoping to get Aaron Rodgers from D. Jones/Trubisky. Mac flashed more ability to run an offense and put the ball where and when it is needed than the other two. That's what you need from your QB first and foremost.

The dirty secret is that you don't need your QB to be a good runner at all, people have just become enamored with it cause it adds another degree of entertainment value. You just need to him to be able to see the field, feel the pass rush and move just enough to buy himself another second to get the ball out to where it needs to be with accuracy. That's why Tom Brady is the GOAT with some of the worst athletic measurables possible. If the Niners take Mac Jones then that's exactly what they're hoping for: basically a re-do of Matt Ryan's MVP-type play under Shanahan in Atlanta.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jones would be a terrible pick but I'd still loathe it and begrudging accept it and hope for the best.

Since it's my team and I've been following it closely and there are legitimate things to like about Jones but he just reeks of pretty good starter but nothing special category and not someone to burn an extra 2 1sts and a 3rd over.

With Mac you're hoping he turns into a Drew Brees. Someone not especially physically gifted but just kills you by operating the offense and throwing the ball with surgical precision.

Or reach higher and hope for TB12. Actually, I've heard comparisons to Brady. But yeah, anyone drafting him would hope for either.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that is a good point. I just am not sold on him. Yes he may have the arm strength but he wasn't going up against elite defenders. Then again I never have seen him play

But he also wasn't throwing to elite receivers with elite blockers in front of him. How many of his teammates are also gonna be drafted as early as he will? I'm not saying he will translate to the NFL, but there's no reason to dismiss him just because he was playing against lesser competition.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he also wasn't throwing to elite receivers with elite blockers in front of him. How many of his teammates are also gonna be drafted as early as he will? I'm not saying he will translate to the NFL, but there's no reason to dismiss him just because he was playing against lesser competition.

I'm not dismissing him. Just thinking I don't see him as that "top 5 talent" but I have no scouting ability so I will go with those "experts" say

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much
Trevor Lawrence is the next Peyton Manning
Zach Wilson is the next Arron Rodgers
Mac Jones is the next Tom Brady
Justin Fields is the next Russell Wilson
Trey Lance is the next Patrick Mahomes

What could go wrong with drafting any of these guys, this has to be the greatest QB class in NFL draft history :noidea:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

From what I gather both Jones and Lance are high level when it comes to the white boards and X's and O's stuff and I've heard Lance is off the charts when it comes to intangibles.

So if you take a guy that's high level with the mental, physical, and intangibles aspects it becomes a question on if you can polish out the rough patches in his game.

The level of competition is somewhat irrelevant because you have to look at it from the angle of if he has the tools to play in the NFL at a high level or not.

Mac Jones played the toughest competition in college and posted one of the greatest seasons for a college QB and most people are cringing at the idea of the 9ers taking him at 3.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I gather both Jones and Lance are high level when it comes to the white boards and X's and O's stuff and I've heard Lance is off the charts when it comes to intangibles.

So if you take a guy that's high level with the mental, physical, and intangibles aspects it becomes a question on if you can polish out the rough patches in his game.

The level of competition is somewhat irrelevant because you have to look at it from the angle of if he has the tools to play in the NFL at a high level or not.

Mac Jones played the toughest competition in college and posted one of the greatest seasons for a college QB and most people are cringing at the idea of the 9ers taking him at 3.
Yeah that is true. It could work against you as well playing against the best of the best, especially if you play for Bama, I mean you truly have the best WR and RB so any QB could look solid

Glad I am not a scout

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones profiles differently than the two. You hope you're getting Peyton Manning/Tom Brady (best case) from him while you were hoping to get Aaron Rodgers from D. Jones/Trubisky. Mac flashed more ability to run an offense and put the ball where and when it is needed than the other two. That's what you need from your QB first and foremost.

The dirty secret is that you don't need your QB to be a good runner at all, people have just become enamored with it cause it adds another degree of entertainment value. You just need to him to be able to see the field, feel the pass rush and move just enough to buy himself another second to get the ball out to where it needs to be with accuracy. That's why Tom Brady is the GOAT with some of the worst athletic measurables possible. If the Niners take Mac Jones then that's exactly what they're hoping for: basically a re-do of Matt Ryan's MVP-type play under Shanahan in Atlanta.

Really well said. Although I think it's a mistake as I just don't see Mac Jones as ever being a true franchise QB I guess it makes sense for the Niners who are in win now mode.

In a way I hope it works. I'm all about having a QB who hits what he is throwing at first and foremost. If he can run that's strictly a bonus. Although they are fun to watch I'm not a fan of the new age QB. It always seems to bite them in the ass come January and when the dust settles the QBs who throw the ball really well seem to still be standing in most seasons.