• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niles Paul vs. Jordan Reed

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very disappointed in Paul last year but this month old discontinued article by John Keim is rather encouraging.
I expect solid contributions...(the title of this thread is misleading lol)

During last season, Niles Paul said he learned a lesson about playing tight end. His athleticism was not enough. When he started playing the position last spring, he admitted he leaned on that athleticism. And thought it would carry him through the season. It did not. Paul’s blocking on the move was fine, but along the line it was not. Nor did he make an impact in the passing game as expected. Paul said he knows he needs to use his feet better. In zone blocking, that’s a big key in maintaining leverage.
Here’s what else he learned:
1. His confidence was shot. OK, maybe not completely, but it was dented more than ever. Paul needed to adapt to catching passes in different spots than he had in the past. Maybe it’s a poor excuse; maybe it’s just an explanation. Or maybe Paul just doesn’t have great hands. But for him, this is a reason to think 2013 will be different.
I’m one of the most confident guys you’ll ever meet, but last year, I’ll admit I kind of lost my confidence,” Paul said. “I kind of lost my mojo because those drops killed me.
The balls were coming at me completely different. It’s different routes and a different route tree. I’m so used to running routes outside. I’ve never even played slot before in my life. As soon as you turn around, the ball is on you. But no excuses. As an ex-receiver, I have to make those catches. Now I’m in tight running routes. It was just getting comfortable and getting my confidence back up. That’s what I was able to do this offseason.
2. Paul said he stuck around Ashburn all offseason wanting to complete the transition to tight end. He wanted to take what he learned last season and apply it to his offseason work. Paul is one of the most competitive Redskins, which is why he makes a fantastic special teams performer as a gunner.
For the most part, it’s a lot of thinking at tight end,” Paul said. “We always say besides the QB, tight end is one of the most difficult positions on the field. A lot of times last year, I had to stay in and block and if the man falls off, I have to get out and go on the route. So it’s a lot of thinking. … I know what’s going on now. I know my footwork, I know my routes, I know what they expect of me and I know where I have to be.
3. As for his competitiveness, it’s worth noting that Paul wasn’t bothered when the Redskins drafted Jordan Reed in the third round. Instead, he was telling teammate Logan Paulsen to chill after the selection. Paulsen had called Paul to tell him what the Redskins had done in the draft.
You would think a guy like Logan there would be no panic in him,” Paul said. “I said, ‘Logan, you just re-signed. You’re an amazing tight end. Calm down, we’ll be all right. You just have to compete. It’s going to be fun.’ I always take on new challenges and I love to compete and Jordan’s a great guy. He’s athletic. I can’t wait for him to get out there and start doing his drills and getting his work done.
4. Paul also learned he had to get stronger. Paul said he’ll never weigh more than his current weight of 234 pounds. But he did add strength. It was a must.
Last year, guys were humongous and it could be a bit intimidating when you got a big guy like DeMarcus Ware, who gets his hands on you and then just flings you,” Paul said. “This year, I made it a point to become stronger. I lifted so heavily this offseason. The last time I did this was my senior year in college. You can see it on the field even though we don’t have pads on, Ryan Kerrigan said, ‘You’re doing a hell of a job blocking this year. You’re so hard to get off now.’ I feel that much stronger.”

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no VS here. Unless one of them totally sucks, we will carry 4 TEs into the season. IM hoping Paul improves because its pointless to keep carrying this guy if he cant be a contributor. But I dont think he is in danger of losing his roster spot.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul is definitely a bubble guy right now. Can't keep a guy just because he's a gunner on special teams. Talk is good, gotta start performing.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no VS here. Unless one of them totally sucks, we will carry 4 TEs into the season. IM hoping Paul improves because its pointless to keep carrying this guy if he cant be a contributor. But I dont think he is in danger of losing his roster spot.

i think the guy gets some slack because of the position change . that being said he is clearly on the bubble .

i think what helps him stick is he can play wr , returns kicks , and is a gunner on ST's

but if other player , i.e a minniefield become must haves then he could be gone

a new St's coach could also factor in

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the guy gets some slack because of the position change . that being said he is clearly on the bubble .

i think what helps him stick is he can play wr , returns kicks , and is a gunner on ST's

but if other player , i.e a minniefield become must haves then he could be gone

a new St's coach could also factor in

Dad... I think we go heavy at CB this year and carry six, so minnifield makes roster unless his health isnt right. Also think we carry 4 TEs for a couple of reasons.

1. davis is coming back of injury and they will want to have depth at the position.
2. Shanahan sees something in Paul. I dont see it, but Im not the one who gets to make that call.

I think this year we actually DONT carry as m any WRs as we have the past three. And thats two extra roster spots right there

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad... I think we go heavy at CB this year and carry six, so minnifield makes roster unless his health isnt right. Also think we carry 4 TEs for a couple of reasons.

1. davis is coming back of injury and they will want to have depth at the position.
2. Shanahan sees something in Paul. I dont see it, but Im not the one who gets to make that call.

I think this year we actually DONT carry as m any WRs as we have the past three. And thats two extra roster spots right there

some places you can go light on are qb(2) , wr (5) O/line (8) so i think it comes down to some "must haves " paul can play wr so there is an area you can cut short

see i think you are a bit too hard on paul . he is a 6th rounder who will compete for BU time and play special teams . you made him switch positions so you have to give him a season to learn the position

in the end he might not be pro material

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some places you can go light on are qb(2) , wr (5) O/line (8) so i think it comes down to some "must haves " paul can play wr so there is an area you can cut short

see i think you are a bit too hard on paul . he is a 6th rounder who will compete for BU time and play special teams . you made him switch positions so you have to give him a season to learn the position

in the end he might not be pro material

Skinsdad.. my real problem with Paul is what we gave up to keep him. We cut a true Redskins in cooley in order to keep Paul as a TE. And even when we brought Cooley back, Paul still never really impressed me. But I can accept that for some reason Shanahan wants to keep him.

As far as where we go lite to keep players, I think going with only two QBs would be a mistake. And I just cant see Shanahan going with only 5 WRs. 8 on the O-line would only sit well with me if 3-4 of our practice squad guys were o-lineman. And the real reason why I think we cant go with only 2 QBs is rhe fact that no one on roster t the position could go to the practice squad. we will need that extra arm during practice for the season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad.. my real problem with Paul is what we gave up to keep him. We cut a true Redskins in cooley in order to keep Paul as a TE. And even when we brought Cooley back, Paul still never really impressed me. But I can accept that for some reason Shanahan wants to keep him.

As far as where we go lite to keep players, I think going with only two QBs would be a mistake. And I just cant see Shanahan going with only 5 WRs. 8 on the O-line would only sit well with me if 3-4 of our practice squad guys were o-lineman. And the real reason why I think we cant go with only 2 QBs is rhe fact that no one on roster t the position could go to the practice squad. we will need that extra arm during practice for the season.

we will pick up a guy for that . as for cooley , dude he was done . i hate it because i really wanted him to stay but he just didnt have it anymore . in the end paul probably doesnt have it either

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will pick up a guy for that . as for cooley , dude he was done . i hate it because i really wanted him to stay but he just didnt have it anymore . in the end paul probably doesnt have it either

How would we know if he had it or not, when the entire season there was ONE pass play called for him? I think Shanahan had decided he was going to keep Paul no matter what, and nothing was going to prevent that. Its also why I expect us to carry 4 TEs this year.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as long as we keep 6 corners im happy. keeping paul or letting him go has no effect on me.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he is a Skin in '14..unless he REALLY shows out this year (and not just on ST).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he is a Skin in '14..unless he REALLY shows out this year (and not just on ST).

he certainly is on the bubble . its no big deal if he doesnt make it . he was a 6th round pick we took a flier on
but as you can tell VT we are some hard core nit picking skins fans from the outer reaches of hell :flame: