• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niitty

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interest in Niittymaki
10:05
AM ETSan Jose Sharks Top EmailComments UPDATE: Evidently healthy and fit following a couple of games on conditioning assignment with the Worcester Sharks, Antero Niittymaki should start to attract some attention from around the NHL. Through two recent AHL games, Niittymaki has a .927 save percentage and 2.05 goals-against average.

During a broadcast session on Tuesday, TSN's Darren Dreger implied Niittymaki could be one of the hotter goaltending commodities available for trade ahead of the deadline.

UPDATE: The San Jose Mercury News reports Antero Niittymaki participated in a full team practice on Wednesday for the first time since undergoing hip surgery in September. The goaltender for the San Jose Sharks plans to be able to return to game action in the next two to three weeks.

"Practice a couple weeks and see how things are at the 12-week mark," Niittymaki said in reference to his rehab schedule. "But I'm pretty confident that's when I can be 100 percent."

Trade speculation regarding Niittymaki should heat up significantly if/when the netminder is able to compete. Especially if Antti Niemi and Thomas Greiss remain fit and continue to perform well.

While some teams are already allegedly in search of goaltending help -- the Columbus Blue Jackets, Toronto Maple Leafs etc. -- others may fall into that situation further into the season.

Looking ahead, Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com suggests the San Jose Sharks may be in position to offer up a goalie via trade -- acquiring a key player in exchange:

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun

"... One netminder that may be available later in the season is Antero Niittymaki. He is still injured and won't be back for another 3-4 weeks, but sources told ESPN.com Tuesday that teams have inquired with the Sharks to see if he'd be available. He might be given the solid play of backup Thomas Greiss ..."

It's difficult to predict who may have a need for a reliable backup in a couple of months from now. However, if healthy, Niittymaki should be easy to move by the Sharks in light of his expiring $2-million/year contract.

- Victoria M

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not a big surprise, they are saying the Sharks will move either Niitty or Greiss. Not sure if they'll get much in return, but they can hopefully get a pick, clear some cap room, and then make a move for a 3rd line player.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dougie will prolly get rid of Greiss.... again. :L

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big surprise, they are saying the Sharks will move either Niitty or Greiss. Not sure if they'll get much in return, but they can hopefully get a pick, clear some cap room, and then make a move for a 3rd line player.

Dougie will prolly get rid of Greiss.... again. :L

I don't see any chance in hell Dougie moves Greiss. It just doesn't make any sense from a trading partners perspective, nor the Sharks perspective.

Think about it, Greiss isn't expensive, Niitty is. Greiss doesn't have a proven track record in the NHL, Niitty does.

A team wouldn't want Greiss to bolster their playoff run. Niitty who is a 1B, would be good insurance for a team. Then factor in that the Sharks would get little to zero benefit in trading Greiss and his contract and it just ain't gonna happen.

IF a goalie goes, it will be Niitty.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news for the Sharks. If Nitty goes for a 5th rounder, I'll be ecstatic. Given Nitty's track record, one split save and he can be on the IR again.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing that bugs me... I follow all the Sharks reporters on Twitter and everyone posts Nitty updates constantly. "Oh, he practiced and took some shots today!!" and "His conditioning assignment went well!" and shit like that..

WHO GIVES A SHIT!?? The guy is a) injury prone, b) expensive and c) no good.

The only Twitter update about his status that I want to see is: "Nitty has been traded to ____ for a bag of pucks".

EDIT: OK, I'll go finish my morning coffee now. :p

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news for the Sharks. If Nitty goes for a 5th rounder, I'll be ecstatic. Given Nitty's track record, one split save and he can be on the IR again.

I hope we can something that helps win THIS year. Either a gritty, speedy 3rd liner, who can fight a bit.(take some fight pressure off of Clowe.) Or, we get that bag of pucks Rares is looking for. We can pummel DWil after the season. :hockeysmile:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we can something that helps win THIS year. Either a gritty, speedy 3rd liner, who can fight a bit.(take some fight pressure off of Clowe.) Or, we get that bag of pucks Rares is looking for. We can pummel DWil after the season. :hockeysmile:

Well, trading Nitty just to get rid of his contract will free up cap space, like 23sharks mentioned. I don't think Nitty will help fetch a 3rd liner, directly. Like the article suggested, Nitty will go to a playoff contender looking for goalie depth. That playoff contender will not want to trade away a PKing, offensively capable forward. Dougie will need to make a couple deals, trading Nitty to some team, then finding that 3rd liner from another team.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
KnittingMonkey has more trade value then some of you think, he is capable of being a #1 like Filo suggested and has proven that he can. He will likely land or atleast be packaged to land the player the sharks need on the 3rd line

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niitty didn't do much to help his trade value tonight. He got lit up for 6.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that goalies have a ton of value in trades. I am fine with a mid round pick and the cap relief.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niity has been recalled and is skating with the team today per tweet from Brodie.

I can't figure out why...

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niity has been recalled and is skating with the team today per tweet from Brodie.

I can't figure out why...

:nonod: I can just hear it later that he is hurt again and is out for the season.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@brodiebrazilCSN Brodie Brazil
McLellan says after Christmas #SJSharks will 'sit down' to determine which direction they're going, regarding goaltenders.
30 minutes ago

Decision to be made soon-ish...

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I dont know how this is a debate... How about dont drop kick Greiss under a bus again! Keep Greiss, hes a great back up and hes cheap

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Wilson trades Niemi, and gets Nabby Back! He's cheap.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Knowing this teams management they are going to bend griess over the barrell again

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how this is a debate... How about dont drop kick Greiss under a bus again! Keep Greiss, hes a great back up and hes cheap

Don't worry snow, Greiss ain't going anywhere. There's ZERO reason to trade him and every reason to trade Niitty.

Knowing this teams management they are going to bend griess over the barrell again

I get the joke, but there's just no way this happens. Greiss doesn't have the track record for a team in contention to want him and nor does he have the track record for a rebuilding team to give up anything of value for him.

Greiss stays.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niittymaki has been sent back to Woosta for a 2nd conditioning assignment. Expected to start on Friday and Saturday.