• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niitty article on ESPN Insider

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interest in Niittymaki
10:44
AM ETSan Jose Sharks Top EmailComments While some teams are already allegedly in search of goaltending help -- the Columbus Blue Jackets, Toronto Maple Leafs etc. -- others may fall into that situation further into the season.

Looking ahead, Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com suggests the San Jose Sharks may be in position to offer up a goalie via trade -- acquiring a key player in exchange:

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun

"... One netminder that may be available later in the season is Antero Niittymaki. He is still injured and won't be back for another 3-4 weeks, but sources told ESPN.com Tuesday that teams have inquired with the Sharks to see if he'd be available. He might be given the solid play of backup Thomas Greiss ..."

It's difficult to predict who may have a need for a reliable backup in a couple of months from now. However, if healthy, Niittymaki should be easy to move by the Sharks in light of his expiring $2-million/year contract.

- Victoria

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could we really expect to get back for Nitty? I don't think he holds enough value to get a third liner by himself does he?

Maybe add a pick or a prospect to get a good third liner, or just trade him for a pick straight up?

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
even if we dont get much back from him that gives us a lot of space to make a real move

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if dougie can parlay niity into a legit 3rd liner, that would be highway robbery. Niity is a so-so back up and griess has definitely been equally good. Stalock is still coming back later this year and sateri has looked promising too. Niity gets 2M, which is pretty steep and if that salary is gone in favor of griess' 600k, then that';s another 1.4M freed up. Add that to the 1.8M they currently have and you have roughly 3.2M available (or actually much more since that number assumed 82 games and is prorated). By december, dougie would likely have in the vicinity of 5M+ for trades if niity goes. that can land two legit 3rd liners like Tuomo Ruutu and blake comeau or something like that.

Dougie has pulled off robbery before and it would be awesome to do it again. Even a 2nd rounder from a team like columbus is just barely below a 1st rounder.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if dougie can parlay niity into a legit 3rd liner, that would be highway robbery. Niity is a so-so back up and griess has definitely been equally good. Stalock is still coming back later this year and sateri has looked promising too. Niity gets 2M, which is pretty steep and if that salary is gone in favor of griess' 600k, then that';s another 1.4M freed up. Add that to the 1.8M they currently have and you have roughly 3.2M available (or actually much more since that number assumed 82 games and is prorated). By december, dougie would likely have in the vicinity of 5M+ for trades if niity goes. that can land two legit 3rd liners like Tuomo Ruutu and blake comeau or something like that.

Dougie has pulled off robbery before and it would be awesome to do it again. Even a 2nd rounder from a team like columbus is just barely below a 1st rounder.

Not sure Rules (I could be wrong), but I think your prorated math is a little off. I think the prorated cap hit would just be right around the $3.2 of actual cap space.

My guess is that they trade Niitty for a draft pick and in turn use that draft pick with another draft pick or prospect for 3rd line help. Most likely the team we trade Niitty too will need him for a playoff push.....they probably wouldn't trade a 3rd liner for a backup goalie to fill a hole. Just my humble opinion though.

I really wanted him when he was a waiver wire guy and I still want him now. I'd really love Jussi Jokinen from CAR.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure Rules (I could be wrong), but I think your prorated math is a little off. I think the prorated cap hit would just be right around the $3.2 of actual cap space.

My guess is that they trade Niitty for a draft pick and in turn use that draft pick with another draft pick or prospect for 3rd line help. Most likely the team we trade Niitty too will need him for a playoff push.....they probably wouldn't trade a 3rd liner for a backup goalie to fill a hole. Just my humble opinion though.

I really wanted him when he was a waiver wire guy and I still want him now. I'd really love Jussi Jokinen from CAR.

Jokinen would be a very good choice.
I like Niitty, he just can't stay healthy. He could help someone though.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

it might have been, though here was the thinking:

Cap spacew at start of year: roughly1.8M... That becomes roughly double halway through the year (by Jan). = 3.6M

Niity's salary is 2M, griess is .6. That 1.4M difference. though halfway through the year that will only be .7 difference = 4.3M

Any acquired player would take up a roster spot and push someone else down (like desjardins, murray, wichester...)That's roughly .6M less too.

Although I am sure my numbers are a little off, it seems that dealing niity in combination with the existing cap space being enlarged as games pass should give the sharks in the vicinity of 5M in equivilent space. The real amount of space will be about 2.5M, but halfway through the year, that allows you to acquire 5M in original salary.

that was the thinking. I do agree that niity is not likely to land a legit 20 goal scoring 3rd liner. But niity and mid rounder? or niity and mitchell? Hopefully, dougie can pull off something sweet.

Jokinen would be puuurrrrfect for the sharks, but carolina doesnt need a goalie and he has two more reasonably prices years left after this one. I would be shocked if dougie got him...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why any team would deal for Nitty is a mystery to me. He's damaged goods. Doug will be lucky to get a 7th rounder for him.

If the CBJs want Nitty, it would have to be right now while they still have a glimmer of hope of salvaging this season. Obviously, Nitty isn't ready to come back. So in January(?) when he comes back, why deal for Nitty, hope he does well to win a few extra games, and risk losing out on the chance for that #1 overall pick? Just doesn't add up imo.