• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL will add playoff team to each conference beginning this season.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well based on all the reports on how fast this CBA is moving, and how they expect to wrap it up soon. The NFLPA must be getting what it wants. Because they were telling players to prepare for a lockout. So it cant be going poorly

You can assume based on unsubstantiated rumor or conjecture all you want, I will wait until it's all settled.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no good reason to add another team to the playoffs. Aside from the owners wanting to make more money. The only guys really making out in playoff games...the owners, and maybe players on rookie contracts. Hight priced vets take a big pay cut to play in a playoff game.

But...if it comes to pass, even those of us (me included) that doesn't want to see any more games, we're going to watch the extra game.

to me, the rule makes no sense... Not because I am opposed to adding 2 playoff teams... But I just don't understand why they wouldn't add 4 more!!!

Whats the point of making a change that has a built in lets change it again in a few years when this proves success??

In fact, the way it will be with the 7 teams, the #1 team has too much of an advantage...

Just makes no sense to me...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me, the rule makes no sense... Not because I am opposed to adding 2 playoff teams... But I just don't understand why they wouldn't add 4 more!!!

Whats the point of making a change that has a built in lets change it again in a few years when this proves success??

In fact, the way it will be with the 7 teams, the #1 team has too much of an advantage...

Just makes no sense to me...

I'm hoping it stays at 6, but 7 was probably easier to sell because the top seed keeps the bye...if it goes to 8, the byes would go away entirely....much tougher sell imo.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping it stays at 6, but 7 was probably easier to sell because the top seed keeps the bye...if it goes to 8, the byes would go away entirely....much tougher sell imo.

I agree about six... but I am only debating 7 vs 8... 7 makes no sense for that reason... if you take away the 2nd bye, then you are giving the #1 seed such an advantage.... And if you are saying 7 teams creates 2 more games and that will make so MUCH MONEY>.>>> than wouldn't 4 games make more??

again, if you do move to 7, then there will always be the move to 8 option available.... and if 7 beats 6, then how the hell can you expect 8 not to beat out 7??

So why make a change that will be short term?? it is obvious that 8 will be next!!! and pretty quickly once they realize the unfair advantage they gave to the #1 seed

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about six... but I am only debating 7 vs 8... 7 makes no sense for that reason... if you take away the 2nd bye, then you are giving the #1 seed such an advantage.... And if you are saying 7 teams creates 2 more games and that will make so MUCH MONEY>.>>> than wouldn't 4 games make more??

So why make a change that will be short term?? it is obvious that 8 will be next!!! and pretty quickly once they realize the unfair advantage they gave to the #1 seed

I hear ya.

The 1st point in bold is grounded in logic...4 makes more sense than 2. But, the players are saying...more money for who?

As it stands right now...

WC rd...WC team $27k per player, DIV winner $29k per player
DIV rd $29k per
Conf rd $54k per
SB loser $59k per
SB winner $118k per

League minimum players make $31,250 per. Clearly most of the starters are taking a cut in pay to play in these playoff games.

So, jumping to 4 has the same chance as a snowball on MIA Beach in July until they fix that.

Secondly, long term vs short term...I'm sure if the players will ever give up their bye week for the 1 seed....maybe offering legal weed will do it, but they might have to offer that just to get 7.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid, why are they fucking with shit that isn't broken. Fix the broken shit.

Exactly.... Fix what's broken and leave what's working alone.... But clearly this is a money issue, more revenue, to hell with what the fans like or don't like...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya.

The 1st point in bold is grounded in logic...4 makes more sense than 2. But, the players are saying...more money for who?

DIV rd $29k per
Conf rd $54k per
SB loser $59k per
SB winner $118k per

League minimum players make $31,250 per. Clearly most of the starters are taking a cut in pay to play in these playoff games.

So, jumping to 4 has the same chance as a snowball on MIA Beach in July until they fix that.

Secondly, long term vs short term...I'm sure if the players will ever give up their bye week for the 1 seed....maybe offering legal weed will do it, but they might have to offer that just to get 7.
Another change I noticed is that with this plan the number 1 seed also gets paid for their bye week even though they don't have to play a game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another change I noticed is that with this plan the number 1 seed also gets paid for their bye week even though they don't have to play a game.

I didn't read the entire article, good pick up.

That's a nice carrot for the players to bite on.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya.

DIV rd $29k per
Conf rd $54k per
SB loser $59k per
SB winner $118k per

except, the money is not player money.... do you think players want this?? this is all management... and tv...

and giving up the 2 Seed BYE is a given, so why is giving up the one seed so hard to believe?? especially when the competitive balance becomes an issue...

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except, the money is not player money.... do you think players want this?? this is all management... and tv...

and giving up the 2 Seed BYE is a given, so why is giving up the one seed so hard to believe?? especially when the competitive balance becomes an issue...

The players get an extra $1 billion in revenue split if the league goes to a 17 game season, and since the playoffs are tied to that yes the money is player money.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players get an extra $1 billion in revenue split if the league goes to a 17 game season, and since the playoffs are tied to that yes the money is player money.

no, I mean the decision to do this... The player money is only to keep them on board with an unpopular decision...

But the NFL wants to do this because they would make a shitload, and so would the tv channels...

My overall point is still that assuming they do change from the 6, 8 makes more sense than 7, in every way possible... I guess they have to go to 7 first, as a business plan... But don't fool yourselves, 8 is coming!!! and once competitive balance is questioned, I doubt that the players will get much when it does go from 7 to 8...

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what's worse; a 7-9 team making the playoffs or a 10-6 team missing the playoffs.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 100% on board with this change.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we're on the same page here maybe...This absolutely is owners and TV...so to even get to 7 they will need to change the compensation or give something up to make this "gain".

You're right, if they get to 7, there is a good chance they will at least attempt to go to 8...but it'll go thru a similar process with the players agreeing to it, but 8 won't be in this CBA.

Reason...you rarely see giant steps when baby steps can be taken in these kind of matters.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 100% on board with this change.

Yeah, but this past year, PIT would've gotten blown out of the water had they made it....maybe the '18 Steeler team could've made some noise.

I'm for 6, but if they add a 7th, I'll watch.

Last edited:

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but this past year, PIT would've gotten blown out of the water had they made it....maybe the '18 Steeler team could've made some noise.

I'm for 6, but if they add a 7th, I'll watch.
2018 and 2013 teams both could have competitive in the playoffs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 and 2013 teams both could have competitive in the playoffs.

I think every so often you'll get a team like the Titans go on a run and we've seen a 7-9 team win a game in the playoffs so it's not always about the record...moreso how you're playing at the time...I just think year in, year out, that extra team is probably going to get pounded.

We shall see...like I said, I'll watch it.