• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL should be more like the NHL

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL is the classiest league in all of sports, including front offices, coaches, players, etc. Just seems to be a better class of people all around.
But the NHL has Gary Bettman as commissioner who has a possibility to reign over yet another lockout in a few years. :L

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget he is in the NHL Hall of Fame.

tenor.gif

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see them ban use of alcohol and tobacco in addition to weed. Promote healthiness and being the best you can be. Plenty of time after retiring from sports, to go to pot, pun intended.
I'd be for putting a age cap on players. Mandatory retirement at age 30, maybe exempt QBs and kickers. Maybe the players can leave the league healthy, with less chance of long term damage to them and for the league turning over rosters with youth is a good thing also.
Society has gotten way to permissive and decadent.

It would be so tough to enforce that though, not sure if the NFL would really have the right to do that, as far as Alcohol and tobacco ... As far as player retiring early, yeah that would be better for them long term, no doubt...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if a player signs a contract and goes to their new team and decides to just become a cancer and not give 100% and ends up with shitty contributions, he's entitled to that money? No thanks.

You're addressing conduct unbecoming...the team should have an "out" for that, but I don't think you would see many voided contracts.

What I think will happen is the contracts would come down to "real" values instead of these inflated contracts that teams (and players) know might not be fulfilled...that's BS imo.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're addressing conduct unbecoming...the team should have an "out" for that, but I don't think you would see many voided contracts.

What I think will happen is the contracts would come down to "real" values instead of these inflated contracts that teams (and players) know might not be fulfilled...that's BS imo.
The problem is it's not a black and white area. Unless a player is willing to commit to certain statistical contributions, I can't get behind guaranteeing the contracts.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is it's not a black and white area. Unless a player is willing to commit to certain statistical contributions, I can't get behind guaranteeing the contracts.

I hear ya, but that is a negative also imo.

As you know...you get contracts in the NFL two ways...1st one (draft position is potential based on your CFB production. The 2nd one (typically the renewal or extension is based largely on what the player has done in the league.

So...you've already set the financial bar based on your play. I get your point on trying to ensure the player sustains that level of production, but I assume you would increase the pay rate if they exceed projected production?

This isn't going to happen either, but I really like the old Charlie Finley idea of 1 yr contracts for everybody and adjust based on production from yr to yr. Team still has your rights for 4 yrs or whatever from the draft and after they hit FA, the team has right of 1st refusal.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, but that is a negative also imo.

As you know...you get contracts in the NFL two ways...1st one (draft position is potential based on your CFB production. The 2nd one (typically the renewal or extension is based largely on what the player has done in the league.

So...you've already set the financial bar based on your play. I get your point on trying to ensure the player sustains that level of production, but I assume you would increase the pay rate if they exceed projected production?

This isn't going to happen either, but I really like the old Charlie Finley idea of 1 yr contracts for everybody and adjust based on production from yr to yr. Team still has your rights for 4 yrs or whatever from the draft and after they hit FA, the team has right of 1st refusal.
That's the idea for the getting another contract. We've seen players fall off cliffs quickly. My point is, the approach should be "Here is your contract for X amount of years and X amount of dollars. Should you perform to our standards, you will receive all X dollars over X years. Should you not, we will let you go." I see no problem with that.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, for me, what always has galled me about the NFL (on this issue, not exclusively, as there is frankly a lot about the NFL that galls me) there is just a rampant hypocrisy on the subject of pain management.

We can have all the discussions on pot and overall legality. We can talk about alcohol and weed, and how each can have the same deleterious effects on performance if abused.

But as long as there is a policy against fully exploring marijuana based alternatives for pain management while teams shove strong pharmaceuticals and opioids at players I’m calling utter bullshit on the NFL and their “moral” stance on pot. It’s an indefensible stance.

You can certainly monitor for abuse of marijuana and it’s impact on specific players performance. Know how I know this? Because guys get hooked on the junk they do push on them and get drummed out of the league currently.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying "the NFL should be more like the NHL" for years, but I was always referring to player contracts.

Once a player signs a contract, it should be fully guaranteed for the exact amount agreed upon and both the player and the organization signing that player are required to fulfill the contract 100% (the organization can buy out the contract but still must pay the player 100% of what is owed).

So if the player doesn't produce as promised as promised, the team is OK with not paying him?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the idea for the getting another contract. We've seen players fall off cliffs quickly. My point is, the approach should be "Here is your contract for X amount of years and X amount of dollars. Should you perform to our standards, you will receive all X dollars over X years. Should you not, we will let you go." I see no problem with that.

Yes, players have fallen off the cliff...but how much is on the player, team circumstances, etc. It's not that easy to say...in 2017 you got 10 sacks playing next a great DT. In 2018 that great DT is injured and you get 5 sacks playing next to his replacement. Has that player really fallen off a cliff?

Let's take a real "fell off the cliff" situation...Albert Haynesworth. Nothing that he did at TN warranted the contract WAS gave him. Is that Haynesworth's fault? Or WAS? But...if WAS knew they would be tied to that $100 mil contract, I do not think he would've ever gotten such a contract.

In short I look at it like this...using Gurley's contract as an example. He signs a $57 mil/4 yr deal with $45 mil guaranteed (sort of, $22 mil of that was roster bonuses)

Why not just make the contract $45 mil /4 yrs guaranteed?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, players have fallen off the cliff...but how much is on the player, team circumstances, etc. It's not that easy to say...in 2017 you got 10 sacks playing next a great DT. In 2018 that great DT is injured and you get 5 sacks playing next to his replacement. Has that player really fallen off a cliff?

Let's take a real "fell off the cliff" situation...Albert Haynesworth. Nothing that he did at TN warranted the contract WAS gave him. Is that Haynesworth's fault? Or WAS? But...if WAS knew they would be tied to that $100 mil contract, I do not think he would've ever gotten such a contract.

In short I look at it like this...using Gurley's contract as an example. He signs a $57 mil/4 yr deal with $45 mil guaranteed (sort of, $22 mil of that was roster bonuses)

Why not just make the contract $45 mil /4 yrs guaranteed?
Your first example would lead me to believe the player wasn't that good to begin with, so while I wouldn't say he fell off a cliff, I would say he was dependent on his teammate to make his production look good, so he's probably getting paid more than he deserves.

You're right about AH, that contract was absolutely horrible. That said, I'm confused for how that relates to this conversation. He was clearly being paid more than he deserved, and then when he showed his true colors, he was cut. Sounds like what should've happened.

If they offered him 4/45 all guaranteed, he might've signed that, but again - what difference does it make?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your first example would lead me to believe the player wasn't that good to begin with, so while I wouldn't say he fell off a cliff, I would say he was dependent on his teammate to make his production look good, so he's probably getting paid more than he deserves.

You're right about AH, that contract was absolutely horrible. That said, I'm confused for how that relates to this conversation. He was clearly being paid more than he deserved, and then when he showed his true colors, he was cut. Sounds like what should've happened.

If they offered him 4/45 all guaranteed, he might've signed that, but again - what difference does it make?

Taking the 1st example again...Football is the ultimate team sport they say, a good CB might get 3 INTs if he has a good pass rush in front of him, next yr he might have none and the DL pass rush was not as good. Same CB, not the same DL pressure...the point is all of the players are somewhat connected...personnel, schemes, matter.

I agree the 10 sack yr may have been a fluke, but assuming the great DT returns in 2019 and his sack total goes back up, you would've cut said player because his stats fell off in 2018.

On the 4/45 and what difference does it make? For starters, (not trying to be smart ass), $12 mil. Now if they packaged the contract...4/45 and if you're top 5 in rushing you get another $2 mil (that season)...top 5 in TD you get X amount more (that season). In other words the base is guaranteed and incentives.

But I go back to my original point...if the Rams knew the 4/45 was a guaranteed deal, would it really be 4/45 based off his body of work?

You're going to blow one or two...you see it in the NBA (Tristan Thompson), but I think the contracts would more closely align with production if they were guaranteed....if the NBA, NFL, MLB can all figure it out, the NFL can too. The players don't have the collective clout to make it happen. Just too many players are hand to mouth and can't sustain a work stoppage long enough to make it happen.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking the 1st example again...Football is the ultimate team sport they say, a good CB might get 3 INTs if he has a good pass rush in front of him, next yr he might have none and the DL pass rush was not as good. Same CB, not the same DL pressure...the point is all of the players are somewhat connected...personnel, schemes, matter.

I agree the 10 sack yr may have been a fluke, but assuming the great DT returns in 2019 and his sack total goes back up, you would've cut said player because his stats fell off in 2018.

On the 4/45 and what difference does it make? For starters, (not trying to be smart ass), $12 mil. Now if they packaged the contract...4/45 and if you're top 5 in rushing you get another $2 mil (that season)...top 5 in TD you get X amount more (that season). In other words the base is guaranteed and incentives.

But I go back to my original point...if the Rams knew the 4/45 was a guaranteed deal, would it really be 4/45 based off his body of work?

You're going to blow one or two...you see it in the NBA (Tristan Thompson), but I think the contracts would more closely align with production if they were guaranteed....if the NBA, NFL, MLB can all figure it out, the NFL can too. The players don't have the collective clout to make it happen. Just too many players are hand to mouth and can't sustain a work stoppage long enough to make it happen.

I don't think it is necessary to worry about the players living hand to mouth. They would be the dumbasses. Even league minimum is enough to ensure a good life.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is necessary to worry about the players living hand to mouth. They would be the dumbasses. Even league minimum is enough to ensure a good life.

I guess I should ask whose worrying. That said, I use that hand to mouth term loosely, but the reality is the vast majority of Americans are probably 4 paychecks away from being broke.

For the NFL players to really make any gains, imo they will need to miss at least 4 game checks, likely double that for the owners to take them seriously.