• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Quarterback Scramble

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pump - it is much more than hurt feelings - it is he doesn't have any faith the Texans are going to get it together as an organization - they traded his top WR for goodness sake. If you want to win - you don't stay a Texan.
Well, it was O’B that ran Hopkins out of TX. At last check OB is screwing up the Crimson Tide now. There is a new GM in TX and a new head coach just 5 short months after he signed a contract extension. Hard to believe there isn’t some daylight to reconciliation. So any time things don’t play out to Watson’s liking he’s going to pout and stomp his feet? Those are serious red flags regardless of his obvious talent.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw an interesting article that brought up a possibility that would be a killer for the Texans in their tug of war to keep Watson. If the NFLPA negotiates an opt out again this year - and if there are not full stadiums that is a good possibility - Watson could choose to opt out and the Texans would have to pay him $150,000 for the year, yet they would still carry the burden of his contract.

I’m starting to think Mingo is a genius. :)

Yes he could opt out if that is an option, and yes he gets paid $150k, but his contract still tolls.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he could opt out if that is an option, and yes he gets paid $150k, but his contract still tolls.
And the Texans continue to have a top pick next year.
And their players will still hate playing for the organization.
And their fans will stop spending money on tickets and merchandise
And the spiral will continue on

Why not get the huge haul now while you can if you are the Texans FO?

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Texans continue to have a top pick next year.
And their players will still hate playing for the organization.
And their fans will stop spending money on tickets and merchandise
And the spiral will continue on

Why not get the huge haul now while you can if you are the Texans FO?

If/when the Texans trade Watson do you think the return dwindles?

Do you think trading Watson will make the other players now live playing there?

Do you think a bunch of rookies that came in return for there franchise QB will make the fans want to spend their money?

If anything the Texans not trading Watson allows for hope that they can find common ground and move forward.

Just my view point. The Texans have created this mess and I don’t think there is a clean way out unless they can mend the relationship with Watson and I am not sure that is possible.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think a bunch of rookies that came in return for there franchise QB will make the fans want to spend their money?

If anything the Texans not trading Watson allows for hope that they can find common ground and move forward.

Just my view point. The Texans have created this mess and I don’t think there is a clean way out unless they can mend the relationship with Watson and I am not sure that is possible.
You are correct - it is not possible to fix this. I don't really know, but I speculate that African-American athletes are a little sensitive to being told where they have to labor -whether they like it or not.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're already having trouble putting people in seats. News and sentiment here has been incredibly negative since they started making those horrible trades last year. Its only gotten worse now with JJ leaving and the new HC choice.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My big issue with this is the 2022 QB class looks very meh to me. Howell looks decent but his tools don't jump off the page like the top-4 guys of this upcoming draft. Rattler is being talked about in the Johnny Manziel when it comes to personality type. Those are the top-2 guys on most boards and neither of them would crack my top-4 of this draft. Now someone can come out of nowhere but then we are also talking about needing to be in the top-5 of the draft. Lock isn't a guy that I like all that much but he is good enough for this team to win enough and hover in that 6 to 9 type win season meaning not usually a top-10 pick.
Lawrence is the only thing making this year's class different from any other class . Theres Wilson/Fields/Lance/Jones types in every draft. None of them are special. Sure 1 or 2 of them could end up ok but all 4 could end up trash too

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're already having trouble putting people in seats. News and sentiment here has been incredibly negative since they started making those horrible trades last year. Its only gotten worse now with JJ leaving and the new HC choice.
I can only imagine. The Texans were a very good team that had been completely dismantled by poor decisions and trades. In some ways it may make the Texans dig their heels in more as they need to change the culture that has been around the team. If the Texans can find a way to repair the relationship with Watson it would be a message that they are changing the practices of the previous GM. Really sad that JJ is not still in Houston but as players decline teams have to make tough decisions, and don’t forget JJ asked for his release. The Broncos have a similar decision with Von.

Now stating the Texans view on not wanting to trade Watson, are all the reasons that Watson would want out.
So glad that the Broncos are not in the position that the Texans are in.

Reactions: LGM

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawrence is the only thing making this year's class different from any other class . Theres Wilson/Fields/Lance/Jones types in every draft. None of them are special. Sure 1 or 2 of them could end up ok but all 4 could end up trash too

I would disagree. We knew that Lawrence and Fields were going to be top-10 picks at this time last year. Trey Lance was getting hyped up to top-15 by a lot of people in the business. So only Jones and Wilson are the surprises here.
Right now with the 2022 class we don't have a single one that I would say is a guarantee to go top-15. It is a deeper class than this one as I could see a decent number of guys go in the top-2 rounds but this class has the opportunity to be special depending where these guys go.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree. We knew that Lawrence and Fields were going to be top-10 picks at this time last year. Trey Lance was getting hyped up to top-15 by a lot of people in the business. So only Jones and Wilson are the surprises here.
Right now with the 2022 class we don't have a single one that I would say is a guarantee to go top-15. It is a deeper class than this one as I could see a decent number of guys go in the top-2 rounds but this class has the opportunity to be special depending where these guys go.
Imo Fields was only seen as a top 10 prospect because if where he played college ball. He's a more mobile Haskins with a worse arm. I'm not saying it's a bad class outside Lawrence. I just don't think it's special either. I pray to God Atlanta trades back and adds picks. I think that's your best bet too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you have to do is look at 2013 and 2015 to realize that not all QB drafts are created equal. And frankly, there is at least a 50% chance 2019 is heading the same direction.

The Watson debacle is a different cautionary tale, though. The Texans spent fairly massive resources on their oline. Lots of resources on the offense as a whole. Defense was last in takeaways last year and next to last in yards per play and nothing else mattered. They could've had Hopkins last year and had the same terrible record. Defense also wins games.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you have to do is look at 2013 and 2015 to realize that not all QB drafts are created equal. And frankly, there is at least a 50% chance 2019 is heading the same direction.

The Watson debacle is a different cautionary tale, though. The Texans spent fairly massive resources on their oline. Lots of resources on the offense as a whole. Defense was last in takeaways last year and next to last in yards per play and nothing else mattered. They could've had Hopkins last year and had the same terrible record. Defense also wins games.

Well I think what we are seeing though is that Houston is a cautionary story of what happens when the FO/Ownership/Coaching is just down right terrible as well. They misused draft picks left and right. Made some terrible trades that many would vote in the bottom-5 worst of the last few years. Paid huge money to FA's that did very little for the organization. And I can tell you O'Brien was one of the worst coaches in the NFL. Stories I have heard of things he would do such as the OC and Watson coming up with a gameplan on Monday, working with the entire offense on the game plan all week, then Friday on the flight O'Brien many times would completely change it and tell them to figure it out but do what he wanted.

I do agree that defense needs to be a focus and balance is important in the NFL. Brady for most of his career has had close to a top-10 defense supporting him. Makes it a lot easier to win those tight games when your defense holds up. Heck showed in this past Super Bowl that the Chiefs lacked the depth to make the game interesting.

Honestly my hope if the Broncos are to trade for Watson is that it happens after the draft. Load up on young talent for the defense, already have the young talent on offense, and then put Watson into the mix of all that. Gives the Broncos time to be ok until all the draft capital they trade away for Watson can disappear.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo Fields was only seen as a top 10 prospect because if where he played college ball. He's a more mobile Haskins with a worse arm. I'm not saying it's a bad class outside Lawrence. I just don't think it's special either. I pray to God Atlanta trades back and adds picks. I think that's your best bet too.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree here. I would take Fields in a heart beat in Denver and would even trade up for him. Heck honestly I'm almost at that point that I would trade up for any of the top-4 guys. I'm not a believer in Lock being the future. I've heard too many things about him off the field and seen too much destruction on the field to think he is the guy that helps carry this team to victory.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree here. I would take Fields in a heart beat in Denver and would even trade up for him. Heck honestly I'm almost at that point that I would trade up for any of the top-4 guys. I'm not a believer in Lock being the future. I've heard too many things about him off the field and seen too much destruction on the field to think he is the guy that helps carry this team to victory.
Come on up to 4!! Iys a deal !! Lol

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Atlanta is sitting at 4 and wanting to stick with Matt Ryan then the draft trade value chart for the Broncos moving up really isnt that steep. It would just depend on who else was trading up. I don't feel like the Eagles are in a position to trade up with a roster that should be rebuilding. So that probably means an arms race with the Panthers unless they go elsewhere.

As a Chiefs fan, the 2 realistic scenarios that would worry me the most are the Broncos coming down with Watson or Fields. Fields kinda has a lot of the same qualities as Watson and could be an asset on a rookie contract. He also needs a lot of work but the Broncos wouldn't have to give up the farm to get him.

Chiefs winning a lot has caught up to their roster. They need an Edge and an LT and those are generally things you find with premium draft picks. KC is going to have to make a lot of the same type of tough moves that Seattle has had to make and I just don't think you're going to see 13+ win teams from KC moving forward in Mahomes' career. The problem Denver is going to have is if Herbert is in the same tier as Mahomes and if thats the case then they really do need to come away with a franchise QB this offseason because the Chargers might end up overtaking KC.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on up to 4!! Iys a deal !! Lol
If he is there and Atlanta is wanting to make a deal then I will be hoping the Broncos are making a call big time. Again, this is two-fold for me of really liking this rookie class and not liking Drew Lock.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is there and Atlanta is wanting to make a deal then I will be hoping the Broncos are making a call big time. Again, this is two-fold for me of really liking this rookie class and not liking Drew Lock.
I get it. For me we are 20M over the cap with 14 roster spots to fill. We need picks. QB is like one of 2 positions we are already better than average so QB is a wasted pick imo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. For me we are 20M over the cap with 14 roster spots to fill. We need picks. QB is like one of 2 positions we are already better than average so QB is a wasted pick imo.

Good friend of mine has a connection within the Falcons organization and says his guy thinks all these people mocking QB to them at 4 are fools. They brought in Arthur Smith because of his work in lifting up the career of Ryan Tannehil and believe he can do the same with Matt Ryan. So yeah I do think they are in that prime spot to trade back and get a decent set of picks back.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good friend of mine has a connection within the Falcons organization and says his guy thinks all these people mocking QB to them at 4 are fools. They brought in Arthur Smith because of his work in lifting up the career of Ryan Tannehil and believe he can do the same with Matt Ryan. So yeah I do think they are in that prime spot to trade back and get a decent set of picks back.
Yeah a bunch of people on my Falcons board want a QB bad. I dont get it personally. We need a stud RB, an average D and a C. We get that stuff handled and we are fine. It's almost impossible to blow as many leads as we did last year. Total fluke.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a bunch of people on my Falcons board want a QB bad. I dont get it personally. We need a stud RB, an average D and a C. We get that stuff handled and we are fine. It's almost impossible to blow as many leads as we did last year. Total fluke.

Plus if you think about the division there is a decent chance to finish 2nd. Carolina is still trying to figure out their QB position and have some major holes all over their roster. New Orleans is heading for a disaster of a season with how bad their cap situation is right now. Tampa should have a good team but I will say trying to keep an entire roster together after a Super Bowl usually means bad things moving forward. The Broncos tried this minus Peyton Manning for a couple of years and well it set them back years.

So Atlanta is set up pretty nice and throw in the NFC isn't quite as deep as the AFC.