• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL QBs: 2016

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is often said the NFL is a QB driven league and simultaneously that there is currently a shortage of above average to high caliber staring QBs in the league. I also read that this draft was considered not that deep at the QB position.

And yet, a few teams and individual QBs out there really managed to bungle things up.

Think about Fitzpatrick. He had a great season last year, but his price is just too high for the Jets. Shame, too because he likely could have had that team contending for the AFC East title with Brady missing time at the start of the season. The Jets just drafted Hackenburg, and Fitz remains unsigned. He is going to have to really come off his price in order to get a contract with a team. Even some of the more QB hungry teams haven't shown much interest at his asking price. And he will have even less leverage after the draft.

Or how about Kap? I can understand why he wouldn't want to skip out on nearly $5 million in guaranteed money to play for the Broncos. He got that contract and I can see why he would want what he has (in his mind) earned. What's interesting is the 49ers would be willing to pay nearly $12 million for a guy they don't really want on their roster. As volatile as Chip Kelly is, forcing a square peg into a round hole by keeping Kap around is a recipe for disaster in SF. Just a couple years ago that team was a SB contender. They are on the brink of being an unmitigated dumpster fire.

Consider the Eagles. That team is in disarray and now they just pissed in their starting QBs cornflakes. Once they traded up into the #2 spot, Bradford demanded a trade. You don't mortgage away that many draft picks to draft a backup QB. Wentz will likely be given a shot to compete for the starting gig. Bradford just signed a pretty solid contract, and clearly isn't interested in competing. It is a very head scratching move for the Eagles to give Bradford so much money and turn around and use the #2 pick on a QB. Maybe they've don't some crazy new "2-QB" system they're about to unleash on the league? Because unless that's the case, this series of moves doesn't make sense.

Then there's our old friend Brock Osweiler. Let's be clear: Oz was instrumental in the Broncos Super Bowl run. But with 7 starts, a 5-2 record and far from eye popping performances, Oz is a relative unknown. At least at the price Houston paid to get him. He may well pan out for them and I honestly hope he does. Houston's valuation of Oz speaks to the QB demand right now, and is sort of the opposite of Fitzpatrick's situation. Obviously Oz specifically offered a skill set Houston felt was a fit for what they were doing. Timing is everything in many cases.

In other QB news...

The Browns resisted the urge to draft a QB high this year and appear to be comfortable going with RGIII as their starter. I have no idea how that'll pan out for them with RG's injury history but I am inclined to believe this is the first early indicator the culture in Cleveland may be setting up for a shift. It will take a long time, but they appear to be building a complete roster rather than drafting a flashy QB. That's a different mentality than they've had before, so while I don't see them greatly improving over their 3-13 record from last year they may be today where the Raiders were a few years ago when Reggie McKenzie took over. Then again it's the Browns, so this could all be a "rinse/repeat" drill that we'll see again next year.

Meanwhile John Elway didn't flinch after Oz left, nor did he reach and overpay for Kap. The Broncos have been connected to Fitz, RGIII, Josh McCown, and more recently Bradford. When they signed Sanchez, people snickered, despite them getting him almost free. I think it's clear: Sanchez is the starter for 2016. I like the idea of a guy who knows he may be on his last shot at an NFL career leading this team. There will be no issues of him lacking motivation. That doesn't necessarily mean the skill and chemistry will automatically be there but it is a vital first step. Imagine if the Broncos want move forward with Lynch in 2017, but Sanchez has had a wildly successful year in 2016 and departs in FA? The Broncos traded a 7th round conditional pick (could move up to a 6th I understand) and may be able to receive a compensatory 3rd rounder. All speculation, of course.

All told, in a turbulent off season, particularly at the QB position, and considering the Broncos have had one QB retire and another leave in FA this year, we've come out in pretty good shape. I've heard the Broncos situation described as "desperate" and that Elway has had "trouble retaining players" (despite every team losing FAs every season) but I honestly think this off season has this team primed to at least be in the discussion to repeat. A repeat is damn hard these days, but the Broncos will at least have a shot at it.

Enjoy the last day of the draft. I'm doing a little kitchen facelifting (backsplash) and hope to have it finished today. I'll tune in this evening to see how things have gone today.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job my man. Good analysis and insight. Hope your wall is straight and the caulking even ;)