• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL must change OT rules

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving both teams an offensive and defensive possession is fair imo. If the first team scores a TD, the second team has to.
For the record, I have felt this way long before this season.
And then when it ends in a tie, do they just go to sudden death?:whistle:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO, bitching and moaning becusethe Patriots whipped your ass like Bill Poulian. He screamed like hell because the Patriots were constantly throttling his team and he and Irsay got enough AFC owners to agree in hopes that they could finally beat Belichick and Brady. That was 2006. They changed the rules, but everybody had to follow them and not just the Patriots. So now you can't extend your arms against a WR, but the rule don't apply to just one team. Everyone has to follow them.
I think you wildly inflate my reaction to the game to fuel some weird delusional sense of victimhood. I have never been a big Patriots hater on this board.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. That is as fair as it gets.
So a potential 30 extra minutes to an already grueling 60 minutes? All for it to end up being decided by sudden death anyway?

I think the OT rules are fine...I think it's some of the rules that they've handcuffed the Defenses with are what need to change.

Sudden Death is the best. It's all or nothing, now or never, do or die. It separates the men from the boys. Start crying about it being unfair, and ya might as well just go ahead and give em' participation awards. Just man up and make a stop.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a potential 30 extra minutes to an already grueling 60 minutes? All for it to end up being decided by sudden death anyway?

I think the OT rules are fine...I think it's some of the rules that they've handcuffed the Defenses with are what need to change.

Sudden Death is the best. It's all or nothing, now or never, do or die. It separates the men from the boys. Start crying about it being unfair, and ya might as well just go ahead and give em' participation awards. Just man up and make a stop.
Quite honestly, I don't have a huge problem with the rules as they are. With today's NFL however, giving both teams an offensive possession would not upset me.

King of Cups

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about the coin flip. It's about equal possessions in a tie. If it doesn't matter, why does one team start the game with the ball and the other team gets the ball after half time? Why not just continue the 3rd quarter where the ball was at the end of the half?
My only point was I see no need to change the rules since the numbers show getting the ball first in overtime has not been some big advantage. Defenses stop the other team at close to the same rate. Just don't see a need to change anything.

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but the point is that most of time teams do get a chance at the ball. Making a TD in OT on first possession is not easy. And, the chances winning because of coin toss are basically 50-50.

True, it's not easy to score a TD on first possession, but if it doesn't really matter, then why does the coin toss winner always choose possession barring some extreme weather/condition that makes you want to choose direction instead? I think it's clear that having possession first is an advantage.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the time when I hear this it’s because Brady wins or Rodgers loses.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a game where everybody scores TDs and it goes to OT and still everybody scored TDs, it all comes down to the coin toss anyway.

Play fucking defence.

I don't think a Mahomes OT TD was a lock.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, let both teams have the ball in overtime. If both teams have the same pts. after their 1st possession then have it go to which team scores 1st.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only point was I see no need to change the rules since the numbers show getting the ball first in overtime has not been some big advantage. Defenses stop the other team at close to the same rate. Just don't see a need to change anything.
If it got changed, it wouldn't be an in good faith fairness argument in the NFL (or negligible) but rather an entertainment based one.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's safe to say nearly all non-biased NFL fans were pretty underwhelmed with the end of that game. The goal is to outscore your opponent, and you can only score when you have the ball. I can't think of a single decent argument in favor of the current system. It is indeed like playing just the top half of an extra inning in baseball.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and review should be updated especially on PI but imagine baseball you win the toss bat first score and game over. That logic is fucked. It's a team game let both sides offence and defence get a shot to win the game.

Baseball is a bit of a different sport.....Kinda the same logic......The problem with that,the home team,they'd never get the chance batting first......

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College OT is way more entertaining. A lot of Red Zone D and knowing the game can end with a turnover. I start adopt the same rules, but start both teams from the 35.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overtime suggestions.
--Play a 15-minute period--team leading at the end is the winner (like they do it in basketball).
--Play a 10-minute period--same as above.
--Team that scores twice wins.
--Team that scores first wins (sudden death).
--Both teams get at least one possession.
--Extra points are eliminated in OT...must go for 2.

I'm good with how they do it now, but if they change it I'd be good with that also. Woody Paige had an interesting idea. Eliminate the coin toss and simply give the ball to the road team first and then the home team gets a possession...kinda the way they do extra innings in baseball. I could live with that.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College OT is way more entertaining. A lot of Red Zone D and knowing the game can end with a turnover. I start adopt the same rules, but start both teams from the 35.

It is more interesting but it is a gimmick.

College OT rules are trash. Starting in FG range is such trash

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is more interesting but it is a gimmick.

College OT rules are trash. Starting in FG range is such trash
FGs in College are far from a layup. Shit, they're becoming less of a sure thing in the NFL too.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FGs in College are far from a layup. Shit, they're becoming less of a sure thing in the NFL too.

Doesn't change the face that most college/if not all college teams would attempt a fg from the 25

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing to consider is that the NFL over the years has changed the rules to make it easier for the offense. Both teams should have to play defense in overtime.