• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL expects refs to call late reviews, including PI

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has made tentative plans to push forward with its original plan for introducing pass interference to replay review, setting aside for now a series of tweaks suggested last month by its competition committee.

According to an update sent to its teams, and posted Thursday to Twitter, the league said it expects to have the replay official initiate all potential reviews -- including pass interference -- in the final two minutes of each half and overtime.

The committee had considered shifting such responsibility for pass interference challenges to coaches to avoid excessive game stoppages, but as ESPN reported earlier this week, coaches pushed back on that proposal because of its possible impact on their timeout strategy, among other reasons.

To minimize the possibility of stoppages during the final two minutes of each half and overtime, the NFL said in its update that it would ask replay officials to use "stricter criteria than for other reviewable plays." It did not provide specifics.

The NFL also said in its update that Hail Mary plays would be subject to review, "consistent with guidelines for officiating the play on the field." Hail Mary passes usually include heavy contact between receivers and defenders, and NFL officials rarely penalize them for it.

But the committee was concerned that coaches would challenge them as a matter of strategy, if given the opportunity, and planned to exempt those plays. The pending decision to maintain the replay official's jurisdiction during that time period rendered that concern moot.

According to the update, teams will be allowed to provide feedback for one more week before the final language of the rule is released.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read about that a couple of weeks ago. The spot foul for PI on long passes, the ones that cost 40-50 yards, should be reviewable. Let the guys fight for the ball, within the rules. And cap that fucker at 15 yards.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for the Saints with the non-call that kind of sealed the game for the Rams. But I sense a slippery slope here. Guess we'll have to see how it all plays out.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will only make the game longer and more and more people pissed off

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It's a judgement call and should never be reviewed. There are going to be plays where there is indeed contact. It will be on one man to decide how significant the contact was. This is so different from reviewing if there was a fumble or a player was inbounds. Sometimes you don't get a clear picture to see those things but they are black and white facts and there is no middle ground. Now you are putting the outcome of games on opinion. There will be no definitive answer but the ref must make a definitive ruling..

This is so friggin stupid and the Saints are butt hurt A holes for starting this crap and the league and other owners are idiots for listening.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can see why we might want to make this reviewable (Saints game is an obvious example) What I dont think people are thinking about. Is how inconsistent Refs call that penalty. If you want to go off the letter of the rule. Almost every play is a penalty. If you want to be realistic. A lot of the calls shouldnt be calls. So once they open this pandora's box, there is gonna be reason to bitch every game as there will still be zero consistency on the call & the one thing worse than a missed call or bad call, is getting the call wrong using Instant replay. Now not only did they just make a game even longer, but they released all the black helicopters for the conspiracy theorist. Literally for every game.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can see why we might want to make this reviewable (Saints game is an obvious example) What I dont think people are thinking about. Is how inconsistent Refs call that penalty. If you want to go off the letter of the rule. Almost every play is a penalty. If you want to be realistic. A lot of the calls shouldnt be calls. So once they open this pandora's box, there is gonna be reason to bitch every game as there will still be zero consistency on the call & the one thing worse than a missed call or bad call, is getting the call wrong using Instant replay. Now not only did they just make a game even longer, but they released all the black helicopters for the conspiracy theorist. Literally for every game.
This is my concern as well. For egregious misses, absolutely, but there's no textbook on what constitutes that sort of blown call, so naturally it will get abused and become ticky-tacky. The fact that some of these penalties can get so subjective doesn't help, either.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if games were called to the letter they would take forever, because like you said a penalty could be called every single play. Best to just accept that things will get missed or mistakes made and roll with the punches. Rather then rant and rave about it.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only if they make it an extra challenge.

Give the standard 2 if you lose, a 3rd if you win both, last 2 minutes of a half and OT it's up to the booth.

Pick what it is you want to challenge.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for the Saints with the non-call that kind of sealed the game for the Rams. But I sense a slippery slope here. Guess we'll have to see how it all plays out.
yep the non call the drive before is the only thing that gave the saints a chance

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL rules are set up for the refs to take advantage of loopholes and non-calls. It's all about money and only FIFA and the IOC are more corrupt.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL rules are set up for the refs to take advantage of loopholes and non-calls. It's all about money and only FIFA and the IOC are more corrupt.

I have the NBA on line one for you.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep the non call the drive before is the only thing that gave the saints a chance
Plus my attitude has always been if you blame the outcome of a game on just one play, then you should have played well enough so that one play doesn't change the outcome.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus my attitude has always been if you blame the outcome of a game on just one play, then you should have played well enough so that one play doesn't change the outcome.
oh man, im totally with you.but i get massive backlash when saying that

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It's a judgement call and should never be reviewed. There are going to be plays where there is indeed contact. It will be on one man to decide how significant the contact was. This is so different from reviewing if there was a fumble or a player was inbounds. Sometimes you don't get a clear picture to see those things but they are black and white facts and there is no middle ground. Now you are putting the outcome of games on opinion. There will be no definitive answer but the ref must make a definitive ruling..

This is so friggin stupid and the Saints are butt hurt A holes for starting this crap and the league and other owners are idiots for listening.

Not to mention, isn't everything considered "pi" in super slow mode?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if they make it an extra challenge.

Give the standard 2 if you lose, a 3rd if you win both, last 2 minutes of a half and OT it's up to the booth.

Pick what it is you want to challenge.

I just think the review for pass interference will take longer than any other review and with the rule of what is or isn't pass interference the call might still be called wrong after review whether reversed or upheld

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reviewing a pass interference call I feel like the refs should only be allowed to see the play at regular speed. Anything can look bad when you watch it in slow motion. Unlike reviewing if there is a fumble or the ball was caught before hitting the ground, or checking to see if a players toes were in bounds or he crossed the goal line where slow motion is necessary, I just think watching two guys hand fighting for position in slow motion will make it seem worse than it really was.