• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2018 for Fins

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface these draft comments by saying that I am still very interested in this season for the Fins. I think it's important that this group win together going forward even if it means lower picks in the draft. Also for fans that attend games in Miami it is a much better experience when the team wins. It was great to see the Fins players having fun in the Broncos game. The team has worked too hard to not enjoy some wins. I think it also helps to build a culture of winning as an organization. Let the chips fall where the may with the draft order. Go Fins!

This could be the draft for the Fins to get a franchise QB. I like THill. He works as hard as any player to get better & keeps improving every year. However, if the Fins think one of these top QB prospects could better lead the franchise then I think they should make the pick in the first round. If you can't get a productive OG in the second round then that means that the Fins Oline coaching just isn't very good. Also at OT Jesse Davis has played well with J James hurt. That is a good sign for the future. In addition, Tunsil is playing his first year at LT and will probably keep getting better.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface these draft comments by saying that I am still very interested in this season for the Fins. I think it's important that this group win together going forward even if it means lower picks in the draft. Also for fans that attend games in Miami it is a much better experience when the team wins. It was great to see the Fins players having fun in the Broncos game. The team has worked too hard to not enjoy some wins. I think it also helps to build a culture of winning as an organization. Let the chips fall where the may with the draft order. Go Fins!

This could be the draft for the Fins to get a franchise QB. I like THill. He works as hard as any player to get better & keeps improving every year. However, if the Fins think one of these top QB prospects could better lead the franchise then I think they should make the pick in the first round. If you can't get a productive OG in the second round then that means that the Fins Oline coaching just isn't very good. Also at OT Jesse Davis has played well with J James hurt. That is a good sign for the future. In addition, Tunsil is playing his first year at LT and will probably keep getting better.
They definitely need to develop a qb never a bad idea but unless a stud falls to them is prefer 2nd round or even 3rd. They still have too many holes in the roster although McMillan will be back at LB which will help. I think secondary will be ok Lippett back too. DE is a concern with wake getting older can never have enough. Branch is a stop gap but rotation is effective. Hayes will be gone soon.
Offence they desperately need to fix the oline, improve TE and find another RB later in draft. Drake and Williams can be a solid combo.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely need to develop a qb never a bad idea but unless a stud falls to them is prefer 2nd round or even 3rd. They still have too many holes in the roster although McMillan will be back at LB which will help. I think secondary will be ok Lippett back too. DE is a concern with wake getting older can never have enough. Branch is a stop gap but rotation is effective. Hayes will be gone soon.
Offence they desperately need to fix the oline, improve TE and find another RB later in draft. Drake and Williams can be a solid combo.

It wont be easy decisions for the Fins with the upcoming draft. The next few games could bring more clarity regarding what are the Fins greatest draft needs. There has been progress especially in the last game & that's good to see.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is the most important position on the field. I think THill will start and should start next season. That said, the Fins need to draft a QB. Even if THill is the franchise QB the Fins need to be developing the next QB.

Fales played the best in preseason. I wouldn't bring Cutler or Moore back. These guys are too inconsistent. The Fins need a QB that will throw the ball away if no one is open. There have been INTs and sacks from these guys that could have been avoided. No QB is perfect but there were too many mistakes.

I would play Fales some in the next two games to be able to make the most informed decision for next year's backup position. I think the Fins should keep 3 QBs (THill, Fales or Doughty, and a draft pick from the first or second round)

The Fins activated TE Duarte and Olinemen Smith. I think it's a good idea. These next two games should be about player development and determining who makes the team next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is the most important position on the field. I think THill will start and should start next season. That said, the Fins need to draft a QB. Even if THill is the franchise QB the Fins need to be developing the next QB.

Fales played the best in preseason. I wouldn't bring Cutler or Moore back. These guys are too inconsistent. The Fins need a QB that will throw the ball away if no one is open. There have been INTs and sacks from these guys that could have been avoided. No QB is perfect but there were too many mistakes.

I would play Fales some in the next two games to be able to make the most informed decision for next year's backup position. I think the Fins should keep 3 QBs (THill, Fales or Doughty, and a draft pick from the first or second round)

The Fins activated TE Duarte and Olinemen Smith. I think it's a good idea. These next two games should be about player development and determining who makes the team next year.
Would be nice if duarte was an option. Would be one less need. Don't have a lot of faith with fales or daughty as a potential starter maybe back up only. I'd like someone who can push Tanny and be better down the road.
Back up olinemen have been ok which helps may not need as many but I'm still drafting two or three of them. DE as well need more new blood.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB Lamar Jackson could be available when the Fins pick. He is a strong armed unique athlete.

Baker Mayfield could also be available. I have concerns about his size & maturity level but the guy is clearly a winner.

If the Fins pick a QB then he could spend a year or so learning the Fins offense & adjusting to the NFL. If THill leads the team to the playoffs next & plays well then the Fins have a solid backup and potential starter or a trade asset a few years from now. The Fins need to try something different because the team has been stuck in mediocrity for a long time. The Fins rarely pick a QB early and the approach hasn't worked for the team.

TE is a position that the Fins could use an upgrade at. Duarte will need to show he can block to get more playing time. Mark Andrews of Oklahoma may be the best avail for the Fins in the second round. Also, Troy Fumagalli of Wisconsin appears to be a solid TE with all around skills.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying this for a couple seasons now - when healthy, T-Hill is our guy, he just needs someone behind him to push him. Fact of the matter is a washed up Matt Moore simply hasnt gotten it done and its time for him to give up football already.

So, I am all for drafting a QB we can develop down the road. That being said, while I like Lamar Jackson, I dont think he is the right guy for the job - neither is Baker Mayfield. They both have great arms and can do fairly well with their legs, but I rather also a guy that can sit back in the pocket and do damage from there.

Nothing wrong with a mobile QB, but I think these two are the type that are thinking about doing it with their legs first rather than focusing on what they can do with their arm.

This is why I think we should hold off on QB for the mid-to-late rounds where we can find a quality developmental prospect rather than investing the pick on a guy we may need to consider starting from Day 1

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paolo, if there is a pocket passer that could be a better choice I am for that. I haven't watched many of the top QBs. I have seen Josh Allen though and he looks to have a good amount of talent. I think he will be picked earlier than the Fins 1st pick.

Some of the best performances that I have seen this year have come from the Auburn QB Stidham. I wonder though if he is a product of his system. Their offense is a machine when it gets going with lots of moving parts.

I wouldn't wait past the 2nd round. It's too important of a pick to put it off too long and hope the player you want is still available.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Jarrett Stidham's pocket presence. If you watch his highlights in the Bama game it's a good indicator of his ability. He moves well in the pocket to avoid the rush. He is very accurate and you have to respect his running ability but he's a pass first QB.

I think he'll be there for the Fins' pick in the second round.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paolo, if there is a pocket passer that could be a better choice I am for that. I haven't watched many of the top QBs. I have seen Josh Allen though and he looks to have a good amount of talent. I think he will be picked earlier than the Fins 1st pick.

Some of the best performances that I have seen this year have come from the Auburn QB Stidham. I wonder though if he is a product of his system. Their offense is a machine when it gets going with lots of moving parts.

I wouldn't wait past the 2nd round. It's too important of a pick to put it off too long and hope the player you want is still available.

I think his success is most certainly due to the system. That being said, its not a knock on the kid - he clearly has some gifts that he can provide teams if he puts in the work.

Certainly worth of a first round pick but a guy I fear will fall for the reasons we agreed upon.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Led by our shameful local media to kiss the ass of the organizations they cover, a lot of talk since Ajayi got traded has been the emergence of our running backs/running game, but its not been talked about without throwing some shade at Ajayi as if he was the ultimate problem

So I thought this was noteworthy:In 138 carries he had 456 yards and 0 TDs while with Miami
Since being traded:In just 56 carries hes got 365

You can look up our current RBs stats since the trade

My point is, the improvement for our running game individually and as a team may have improved, but its not by much to the point that our joke of a media is trying to sell to us of trying to make it seem like Ajayi and his so called attitude were the problem to justify Adam Gase chasing him out of here. The trade was simply made, as Ive been saying all along, because AG likes to make things about him and he was butt hurt about Jay standing up to him when he confronted him.

Many eagles games have been broadcasted in the Miami area since the trade and I have been able to watch him play. I am not at all surprised at his production in Philly - he is being used in multiple roles/situations and he is shinning -- EVEN WITH the Eagles RB-By-Committee philosophy.

I am not suggesting keeping him around would have improved our season because it wouldnt have -- but over the last few weeks I have seen a lot of local articles by the local media trying to justify the trade with weak ass arguments trying to make the guy look bad.

Usually, like it is for any of us, if a former player goes to another team and is successful especially in the big games -- it is usually painful to watch -- but I hope the Eagles go all the way and I hope and expect Jay to be a big part of that mission - it would be great to see him stick it to all involved with the Fins for what I will call gross under appreciation.

Fly Jay Fly!

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36 wins and 44 losses. That was Belichick's record at Cleveland. First time NFL coaches have to learn on the job. Gase had an OK first year and has not been able to overcome adversity like losing his starting QB.
This next season will tell us a lot more about Gase as a coach. The guy coached Peyton Manning & has shown that he can adapt his offense to suit his QB. I think it's too early to write him off.

Adam Gase has made some questionable decisions this year such as not getting Grant involved with his offense sooner. He causes matchup problems for defenses. Also, His loyalty to TE Thomas when he clearly has lost a step has also been a mistake.

Letting Ajayi go is a questionable decision but we don't know all the details. Furthermore Drake has played very well since Jay left. The Fins Oline really struggled early in the season. They have played better as the season progressed. Whereas Jay went to a team that was opening holes for him to run through.

The Eagles are going to struggle against a team like the Saints or Minnesota. They also lost their starting QB to injury.

The Fins will pick in the top half of the draft. The Fins need to have a good draft to be able to compete.

I am looking forward to seeing watching Mayfield play against Georgia. The Bulldogs defense has had one bad game all year and that was against Auburn. If Mayfield beats that team I think that will tell us a lot. He has thrown 41 TDs and only 5 INTs. Those are solid numbers. Turnovers have been a problem for the Fins.

The Fins could have a few good choices in the first round at QB. If they decide to wait until the 2nd round then they need to pick a game changer, pro bowl level talent at another position otherwise why not just get a franchise QB for the future or have a better backup if THill gets hurt again.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will also be watching Georgia LB Roquan Smith in the college playoffs. He is a talking machine. He plays the run as good or better than any LB in the country. He also has good speed to defend passes. In addition, he has 5 1/2 sacks. If the Fins aren't sold on the idea of a QB with the first pick then Smith could be an option if he's available.

The Fins may decide to pick offense early and often. If not Bradley Chubb is also an option at DE.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching L Jackson today. There is a lot of talent. He has elite athleticism. He has a 75 yard run. He also has 2 INTs so far and a near fumble. There are things to like such as his elusiveness in the pocket but his passing is a work in progress. He has a TD run and a shovel TD pass. All in the first half. I think he would put a lot of strain on an NFL defense but whoever picks him will have to have patience with him in dealing with his mistakes.

In the NFL there are lots of guys that are fast and they hit hard. There are a list of athletic QBs that had short careers. Jackson would need to learn to slide more at the next level.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am watching Stidham of Auburn. He is moving well in the pocket and making accurate throws. This guy could be more ready for the next level than L Jackson. If he is there in the 2nd round he could be a solid choice for the Fins.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield played flawless on the first drive for OU. He has a lot of experience for a college QB and it shows. He reminds me of Brees in stature, movement in the pocket and control of the offense. I'd pick him at #11 but he'd have to sit for a year or two as a backup QB since THill knows the offense and players so well.

If you look at Aaron Rodgers career his extra time to develop only made him better. I am not sure Mayfield slides to #11.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield played flawless on the first drive for OU. He has a lot of experience for a college QB and it shows. He reminds me of Brees in stature, movement in the pocket and control of the offense. I'd pick him at #11 but he'd have to sit for a year or two as a backup QB since THill knows the offense and players so well.

If you look at Aaron Rodgers career his extra time to develop only made him better. I am not sure Mayfield slides to #11.
Unless their guy falls to 11 I can't see them going that way or reaching. An OLB, DE or anyone who can cover a TE are more important. OG or center I wouldn't take until after first round unless they trade back and get more picks.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what LB Shaquem Griffin brings to the table. He has great speed. When you watch him play he is always around the ball making plays. He forces fumbles, recovers them well, gets INTs. I would rather the Fins pick him later and use pick 11 on anther position rather that a LB.

OG Nelson and RB Barkley were also very impressive at the combine.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all revolves around the QB. Tannehill is not the answer, IMO. They need to get one of the QB's in this draft. Out of all the ones available, they should be able to get one in second round, not sure if they should take one in first, think secondary help is top priority. Out of the QB's available, here are my thoughts. Obviously Tannehill will be starter, but injuries are concern and need to get solid back up and potential starter in waiting.

10 Mason Rudolph Oklahoma St. Sr QB 1 6-5 230 - Maybe available second round
14 Lamar Jackson Louisville Jr QB 2 6-3 200 - No
16 Josh Rosen UCLA Jr QB 3 6-4 220 - Gone
19 Sam Darnold USC Soph QB 4 6-4 225 - Gone
35 Baker Mayfield Oklahoma Sr QB 5 6-1 218 - Gone
116 Josh Allen Wyoming Jr QB 6 6-5 233 - Gone
161 Logan Woodside Toledo Sr QB 7 6-2 201 third or fourth rounder
177 Mike White Western Ky. Sr QB 8 6-4 225 third or fourth rounder
199 Kyle Lauletta Richmond Sr QB 9 6-3 215 - second round potential, sleeper??
208 Nick Stevens Colorado St. Sr QB 10 6-3 200 - back up
213 Riley Ferguson Memphis Sr QB 11 6-4 210 - back up
232 Luke Falk Wash. State Sr QB 12 6-4 225 - third or fourth rounder, I think possible sleeper
256 Chase Litton Marshall Jr QB 13 6-6 223 - back up
265 Kurt Benkert Virginia Sr QB 14 6-4 220 - back up
271 J.T. Barrett Ohio St. Sr QB 15 6-2 220 - No