• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL decrees that all teams must hire a woman or a minority

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the idea behind it. The offensive side is where a lot of the HCs have been coming from for the last several years and that trend looks to continue. And the numbers say that the offensive side has fewer minority coaches than the defensive side. So, the league is trying to force more minorities and women into offensive coaching by creating a "position" that works closely with the offense, but the league won't tell the teams exactly what that means or what this person's responsibilities need to be.

This isn't a WR coach, or the Asst. OLine coach, or even a Quality Control Coach b/c only certain races and sexes can apply for it. So, that makes this position , for lack of a better term, the Minority Assistant. When it's such a nebulous position and the key qualification is the color of one's skin or the fact that you have XX chromosomes, that reeks of tokenism.

I get why the league is doing it--they're playing a longer game, trying to build up the number of women/minorities in offensive coaching, and thereby theoretically, increase the number of women/minority HCs years and years in the future.

Still. A job where certain races or sexes need not apply....there's a word for that, isn't there?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if there are NFL teams that don't have minority coaches. I'll re-phrase that. I'd be disappointed if there are NFL teams that don't have minority coaches. It shouldn't matter where the coaches are. The Rams list 12 coaches outside of HC, OC, & DC. 6 of the 12 are from minorities. Are there really teams without minority coaches?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if there are NFL teams that don't have minority coaches. I'll re-phrase that. I'd be disappointed if there are NFL teams that don't have minority coaches. It shouldn't matter where the coaches are. The Rams list 12 coaches outside of HC, OC, & DC. 6 of the 12 are from minorities. Are there really teams without minority coaches?

I was curious too, so looked up some numbers. Pulling these numbers from a handful of quick and dirty Google searches. This may not be 100% accurate, but I'm not writing a research paper so not gonna cite my individual sources, if anyone is skeptical feel free to look up yourself and prove me wrong. I'll try to note how confident I am with each statistic.
12.4% of all Americans are African American or black. Well that was the latest census numbers in 2020, it should be fairly close to accurate but possibly not exact currently.

15.6% (5 out of 32) NFL Head Coaches are black. Current number I believe. I didn't actually count but that seems to be the concensus.
39% of all coaches in the NFL are minorities. That includes 12 women.
46.8% (15/32) defensive coordinators are currently black. Per today from ESPN
12% (7/33) offensive coordinators were black in 2021, can't find current numbers.

White non Hispanics ARE over-represented by the numbers compared to the general population. Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders and whatever other minority groups I'm unintentionally forgetting are GROSSLY under-represented compared to the general population. But even accounting for many of those ethnic groups being under represented by choice or lack of interest, African Americans and Black's are already over represented.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you misunderstand this. This isn't about teams having to have minority coaches. Every team has minority coaches.

The league said that every team--in addition to all of its other offensive assistants--now has to invent a new "minority offensive assistant" coach position and put a woman or minority in it. The new Minority Assistant has to "work closely" with the HC and offensive staff.

Last edited:

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you misunderstand this. This isn't about teams having to have minority coaches. Every team has minority coaches.

The league said that every team--in addition to all of its other offensive assistants--now has to invent a new "minority offensive assistant" coach position and put a woman or minority in it. The new Minority Assistant has to "work closely" with the HC and offensive staff.

I don’t know who this rule makes sense to. The NFL just keeps out-satirizing itself.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know who this rule makes sense to. The NFL just keeps out-satirizing itself.
The teams aren't even paying these new Minority Assistants; they're gonna be paid out of a league-wide fund. Weird.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Left with their quotas just won't give up.

Back in the 70s when I was working at he observatory, there was a young black grad student in astrophysics who went on to get a PhD from a highly-rated university. He could have had his pick of jobs, but chose to go work in Germany, because he didn't want an affirmative action job.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure any of this matters. Nobody can define what a woman is anyway.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the idea behind it. The offensive side is where a lot of the HCs have been coming from for the last several years and that trend looks to continue. And the numbers say that the offensive side has fewer minority coaches than the defensive side. So, the league is trying to force more minorities and women into offensive coaching by creating a "position" that works closely with the offense, but the league won't tell the teams exactly what that means or what this person's responsibilities need to be.

This isn't a WR coach, or the Asst. OLine coach, or even a Quality Control Coach b/c only certain races and sexes can apply for it. So, that makes this position , for lack of a better term, the Minority Assistant. When it's such a nebulous position and the key qualification is the color of one's skin or the fact that you have XX chromosomes, that reeks of tokenism.

I get why the league is doing it--they're playing a longer game, trying to build up the number of women/minorities in offensive coaching, and thereby theoretically, increase the number of women/minority HCs years and years in the future.

Still. A job where certain races or sexes need not apply....there's a word for that, isn't there?
so why is the NFL not also requiring that all NFL teams have to hire at least 1 LBGTXYZ+ coach?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so why is the NFL not also requiring that all NFL teams have to hire at least 1 LBGTXYZ+ coach?
IIRC, California already requires that some companines' corporation boards have at least 1. So, no one squashed that nonsense early on, it's probably a matter of time.

Seriously, though, the NFL isn't getting much (any) pressure to hire LGBTWTH coaches (can't be many out there) and they're not getting sued by a LGBTWTH former coach claiming discrimination and lack of opportunities. I'm sure we'll get there one sad day.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already got cheerleaders and choreographers, don't they?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LGBTQ is already in trouble with each other. Queers are now generally those that are non-binary and/or non sexual.
This means anybody can qualify for this potential position by merely claiming they are not anything!
The Supreme Court candidate not being able to define what a woman is is hilarious.
I have a pretty darn good idea what a woman is. I have no interest in broadening the scope.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that's the case I did misunderstand it.