• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL considering not inviting ineligible players to combine

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL considering not inviting ineligible players to combine - CBSSports.com

The NFL is considering not inviting players who are academically ineligible in college to the scouting combine, a league source told CBSSports.com.

The move is being discussed because of the increased scrutiny on the maturity and commitment of the prospects entering the NFL, the source said, adding that if this measure was in place in 2013, a sizable group of players would not have been invited to Indianapolis for the combine.

I guess they feel that 'maturity and commitment' outweigh physical tangibles, in a lot of cases. I thought that was the purpose of the scout's psychological strip searches (interviews). Maybe they're cutting costs.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should do it. You have to try pretty damn hard not to be academically eligible.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should do it. You have to try pretty damn hard not to be academically eligible.

Many do.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would this put more emphasis on the schools individual workouts? Or what would keep Nike or someone from then coming in and setting up a corporate combine? Just need facilities and people to come work out, the scouts will follow.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is most likely in response to the Hernandez situation and the NFL doing some damage control.

Now the NFL and NCAA will be even more hand in hand. Not a great thing if you ask me.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would this put more emphasis on the schools individual workouts? Or what would keep Nike or someone from then coming in and setting up a corporate combine? Just need facilities and people to come work out, the scouts will follow.

Good and fair point, touches on the sheer capitalistic nature of it. The NFL would be, in a sense, making it harder for these players to market themselves. If somebody else let's them ... ?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not perfect, but I think it's a step in a decent direction.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good and fair point, touches on the sheer capitalistic nature of it. The NFL would be, in a sense, making it harder for these players to market themselves. If somebody else let's them ... ?

I'm going to godaddy and reserving "HooplaCombine.com" right now :pound:

Gonna be a gold mine!

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a great idea, but if the NFL and NCAA are working so closely together on this I doubt they would want someone else coming in and privatizing the institution. Of course money talks...

Ibangedlolojones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great idea, but if the NFL and NCAA are working so closely together on this I doubt they would want someone else coming in and privatizing the institution. Of course money talks...

Im sure Coach Carrol will be against not letting ineligible players at the combine, he can give two shits about rules or character of a player.....

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a stupid idea. These kids are taking classes that have absolutely 0 to do with the career they want. That would be like making Law students take 4 years of Math classes. It makes no sense. If this happens Nike or someone will have their own combine, let anyone who wants to come come and put it on TV and make a but load of money. The NFL won't risk it's combine not being as marketable and without some of the big time players there it won't be.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sure Coach Carrol will be against not letting ineligible players at the combine, he can give two shits about rules or character of a player.....

OK, obsessed troll.