• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL.com's top 40 WRs

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the NFL wide receivers - NFL.com

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. A.J. Green
4. Julio Jones
5. Dez Bryant
6. Brandon Marshall
7. Demaryius Thomas
8. Percy Harvin
9. Andre Johnson
10. Vincent Jackson
11. Steve Smith
12. Roddy White
13. Reggie Wayne
14. Hakeem Nicks
15. Jordy Nelson
16. Mike Wallace
17. Dwayne Bowe
18. Victor Cruz
19. Randall Cobb
20. Marques Colston
21. Greg Jennings
22. Torrey Smith
23. Cecil Shorts
24. Pierre Garcon
25. Jeremy Maclin
26. Antonio Brown
27. Eric Decker
28. Steve Johnson
29. Wes Welker
30. Miles Austin
31. DeSean Jackson
32. Sidney Rice
33. Kenny Britt
34. Danny Amendola
35. Mike Williams
36. James Jones
37. Denarius Moore
38. Josh Gordon
39. Anquan Boldin
40. Danario Alexander

Thoughts?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just top 10 wise, Fitz up, Andre Johnson up, des Bryant down.

Also, as a patriots fan who was begging to let Welker go, some of the names above him surprise me. Stevie Johnson, really?

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts are that of trying to handle a last name like Shorts...

Cecil Shorts,... his girlfriend !!

So if you think about it, his girlfriend is treated like an object,... grammatically.

And figuratively, literally, hypothetically as well.

I'm Cecil Shorts and my last name is an intransitive verb.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I would put Percy Harvin so high. It's hard to argue anything against him, except that he is a guy who has never had a 1000 yard season and isn't much of a TD threat overall.

Dez Bryant is WAY too high. I know he had a break out season last year, but the dude still drops too many balls, disappears when his QB needs him and even with his increased numbers he was barely in the top ten in receptions. At 24, he's starting to put it together, and that's good news for the long-term health of the Cowboys' passing game, but I wouldn't put him in the top 5 in the NFL.

Vincent Jackson is too high. I'd drop him 5 to 10 spots, at least.

Dwayne Bowe is too low. I love watching him play, and he definitely has the issues at QB in the past that may have affected his productivity, but he is a very good WR.

Torrey Smith is way too high, and I'm not sure I would put him in the top 40. I mean Anquan Boldin was a one man receiving corps in the playoffs, and he's ranked at #39.

Eric Decker should be at least 5 spots higher.

I know he may miss a good portion of the season, maybe all of it, but Michael Crabtree deserves to be on this list.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I would put Percy Harvin so high. It's hard to argue anything against him, except that he is a guy who has never had a 1000 yard season and isn't much of a TD threat overall.

Dez Bryant is WAY too high. I know he had a break out season last year, but the dude still drops too many balls, disappears when his QB needs him and even with his increased numbers he was barely in the top ten in receptions. At 24, he's starting to put it together, and that's good news for the long-term health of the Cowboys' passing game, but I wouldn't put him in the top 5 in the NFL.

Dwayne Bowe is too low. I love watching him play, and he definitely has the issues at QB in the past that may have affected his productivity, but he is a very good WR.

Torrey Smith is way too high, and I'm not sure I would put him in the top 40. I mean Anquan Boldin was a one man receiving corps in the playoffs, and he's ranked at #39.

I know he may miss a good portion of the season, maybe all of it, but Michael Crabtree deserves to be on this list.

Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne probably deserve to where they are ranked, but I dont see either of them sustaining the success they enjoyed last year.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also think Colston would be alot higher if Brees had less receiving options.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was time. He adds more to Denver than here IMO. 6 mil+ for a slot WR with OK but not impressive hands is a lot. Denver has the deep threats to open it up and needed the underneath threat, but to take advantage of his skills you need to be able to open up the field. I also felt Brady locked onto Welker a little too much for what he was.

None of this is to trash Welker. I just felt as a team they needed to move on.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"This is not meant to be a mere reflection of raw 2012 statistics. These rankings are based purely on projected impact for the 2013 season. As such, aging players might have been demoted to reflect the possibility of a sharp decline while breakout candidates have been bumped a few spots as they threaten to reach the next level.
Injured players such as Michael Crabtree and Santonio Holmes have been left off the list. A healthy Crabtree would rank in the second tier. Holmes would rank near the top of the last tier. As was the case with running backs and quarterbacks, rookies are not eligible."

Based on projected # for 2013 Harvin will have a tough time putting up receiving stats to rank that high. Clearly the Seahawks want to run the ball often and when passing tend to spread it around. So I agree with you there. Not a Dez Bryant fan but I don't see any reason he couldn't put up same #s in 2013. Vincent Jackson was #5 in receiving yards last year and again, why should that change in 2013?

Steve Smith is ranked too high IMO. I see him tailing off production wise.:suds:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to say Harvin was too high too, but looking at it (based partly on the upside of playing on a much more respectable offense), who do you conclusively put above him? I feel he was overpaid, but he is an explosive weapon.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I feel this list goes is purely based on weighing speculation and perceived potential over production. Andre Johnson is a top 3 WR IMO. Having him behind Thomas and others is silly. Wes Welker has proven to be one of the best slot receivers in the game, going to a team that will be utilizing him in exactly that capacity. He should be a top 15. Brandon Marshall has been one of the most productive WRs over the past 5 yrs yet Bryant is ahead of him. I can continue to go on, but the basic premise behind my post is that until a WR PROVES to be at that ranking, I find it premature to jump them ahead of steady performers.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I feel this list goes is purely based on weighing speculation and perceived potential over production. Andre Johnson is a top 3 WR IMO. Having him behind Thomas and others is silly. Wes Welker has proven to be one of the best slot receivers in the game, going to a team that will be utilizing him in exactly that capacity. He should be a top 15. Brandon Marshall has been one of the most productive WRs over the past 5 yrs yet Bryant is ahead of him. I can continue to go on, but the basic premise behind my post is that until a WR PROVES to be at that ranking, I find it premature to jump them ahead of steady performers.

Exactly. You can make a case for jones and green as well, but everyone else ranked above him is just disrespectful.

I would take fitz, Andre, Calvin in a list far more seriously than one andre's 6th.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised to see Percy Harvin ranked so high.

As a Seahawks fan I'm happy to see that he gets national respect but I wouldn't say he's better than Vincent Jackson or Andre Johnson.

But the main problem with ranking a player like Percy Harvin is the fact that he has such a unique skillset. He's not a big guy but he is an explosive player who you need to game-plan around. Although I think he's a big addition to the Seahawks, I don't see how statistically he will have a monster season seeing as how much the Seahawks run the ball.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I'm not sure if I'm the only one who notices this but I feel like that there is a much higher level of talent at WR in the NFL than there was 5 years ago.